January 2022 Transfer Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:58 pm
This is getting silly.
The only silly thing here is comparing real world players to the platonic form of Eoin Doyle.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:36 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:58 pm
This is getting silly.
Well, see how the new bloke does. If we sign another three strikers, we're still only playing one at once, don't see him going to a Sutton and Shearer anytime soon.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:43 pm

I think it’ll be reet. We’ll sign another centre forward - this mystery man and Charles will get the goals to lead us to a safe mid-table finish.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:46 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:43 pm
I think it’ll be reet. We’ll sign another centre forward - this mystery man and Charles will get the goals to lead us to a safe mid-table finish.
At least a striker, a 10 and a proper mid.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:46 pm

I wouldn't mind but I don't think there's a huge disagreement :D. Pretty much everyone has another forward as at least "nice to have".

But it's bonkers to me to think it's a bigger priority than at least two midfielders.

And bordering on the tendentious to use Doyle's 8 goals as evidence to say we're losing a major goal threat when 5 were penalties. We're still going to get to take them even without him.

But yeah, can't wait to see what happens if Charles misses one :D

In an attempt to move things on, Charles looked quick on Tuesday, and pace was something he's said to bring. Allied to this attempt to get the front three higher up the pitch I hope that helps with the press. We won the ball a lot in good areas in the first half of the season but Doyle's touch, lack of pace, and inability to pick the right pass meant the chance went. I'm hoping Charles' pace and technical ability off both feet will convert some of those into goals for him and others. Let's hope so!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:13 am

Don't get too comfy, I still want another CD... :-)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:24 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:13 am
Again, think we'd all take one, but it'd mean one out first you'd imagine.

I wouldn't turn down quality anywhere on the pitch at the moment.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:28 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:24 am
Worthy4England wrote:

Well at CD, I can think of a few...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:40 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:28 am
We've probably done this to death, but I imagine that if Evatt could move a couple on and fetch in some improvements he'd happily do so.

This is the issue with having lads under contract now and also the danger of January as a window. One of the benefits of loans (for all their down sides) is that errors don't stay with you for years. If we go in and offer some long contracts because we're a bit panicky in this window we can be stuck with players we don't really want for a good while.

If our long term centre back targets are not available in this window it might be as well to wait. There are plenty of ways we can improve enough to stay up.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:41 am

Worthy4England wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:24 am
Worthy4England wrote:

Think I saw Nixon say that Morecambe wanted an experienced CD and I immediately thought “wonder if they’d take Baps?”

He could probably still do a good organising job in a low-block defence - it’s just when there’s space behind him that I start laying creme eggs

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:22 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:40 am
Worthy4England wrote:
We've probably done this to death, but I imagine that if Evatt could move a couple on and fetch in some improvements he'd happily do so.

This is the issue with having lads under contract now and also the danger of January as a window. One of the benefits of loans (for all their down sides) is that errors don't stay with you for years. If we go in and offer some long contracts because we're a bit panicky in this window we can be stuck with players we don't really want for a good while.

If our long term centre back targets are not available in this window it might be as well to wait. There are plenty of ways we can improve enough to stay up.
CD on loan would be fine.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:27 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:22 am
CD on loan would be fine.
Again, I don't disagree. If someone wants Baps and we can loan in someone better then do it. Baps is off in the summer regardless, bar being offered a coaching role (I don't think that's what he wants), so it's short term both ways.

Fossey looks like he might be a decent stopgap. Another would work.

My suspicion, though, is that we will see Johnston a lot. There's an investment there that we won't give up on lightly.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:48 am

On that Johnston note, I think people (not just talking on here, I'm also going off Twitter and talking to mates) need to temper their expectations in some ways when it comes to new signings.

There's a tendency to look at players in simple terms as "good" or "bad" depending on form, rather than as assets the club is investing in. You obviously need players to play well, but the manager won't radically change his plans if a player has a bad few weeks.

There are people calling for John's head at the moment. But we are talking about a 26 year old we gave a three year deal to. He's out of form, but Evatt will be expected to stick with him and turn that around.

There are a lot of players in this squad who are on relatively good money and who Evatt and the recruitment lot made cases for.

There's latitude with Doyle, for example, because Evatt will have sold him to the board as man to get us out of League Two - which was done - and he wanted to go. Players like John, Johnston, Dapo, Kachunga, Bakayoko - these are guys Evatt will have pinned his flag to in a way. A recruitment team and a manager are obviously judged by success on the pitch, but questions are also asked when individual players don't deliver as expected. "Why did we put £'X' there?"

You might be able to get rid of a player's wages after 6 months or a year, but you have paid out fees of various kinds and quite often have to pay more if you sell a player who doesn't want to go. What looks like a straight swap wages wise can actually cost a club at this level tens or even hundreds of thousands. That includes loans, which often have fees attached. So if you dish out 50k in fees in the summer, bin the lad off in January (paying him another 20k to do it) and then pay more fees to replace him, it adds up fast.

With Doyle there were probably no loyalty bonuses or relocation payments, but if we wanted to move someone else on there could be.

When we're all here considering who to shift on and how to use our money that stuff should probably factor in.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:24 am

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:46 pm
I wouldn't mind but I don't think there's a huge disagreement :D. Pretty much everyone has another forward as at least "nice to have".

But it's bonkers to me to think it's a bigger priority than at least two midfielders.

And bordering on the tendentious to use Doyle's 8 goals as evidence to say we're losing a major goal threat when 5 were penalties. We're still going to get to take them even without him.

In an attempt to move things on, Charles looked quick on Tuesday, and pace was something he's said to bring. Allied to this attempt to get the front three higher up the pitch I hope that helps with the press. We won the ball a lot in good areas in the first half of the season but Doyle's touch, lack of pace, and inability to pick the right pass meant the chance went. I'm hoping Charles' pace and technical ability off both feet will convert some of those into goals for him and others. Let's hope so!
The point is if Doyle on 8 isn’t enough then apart from Dapo we clearly lack any other goalscorers.

We need to rebuild the back 4 and midfield too.

But adding scorers across the team has to be a priority too.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:48 am

I can understand letting Doyler go, as he has dropped off quite significantly this year, but he definitely played a big role in turning us round at a difficult time, so will be fondly remembered by me at least.

Replacing the current incarnation of Doyle in a pure footballing sense might not be too hard, but he seems like a good bloke and a leader for us on an off the pitch, so perhaps we might miss him in that regard.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:10 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:24 am
Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:46 pm

The point is if Doyle on 8 isn’t enough then apart from Dapo we clearly lack any other goalscorers.

We need to rebuild the back 4 and midfield too.

But adding scorers across the team has to be a priority too.
Charles isn't going to be playing any Cup games to score in, so 8 from his remaining league games would be a step up from Doyles 5. But still only 2 from open play. We might get no penalties in second half if season - would you be happy with Doyler adding another 2 in the rest of the season? There's no point comparing apples and oranges.

Also, think Doyler managed 1 assist, so improvement there would help...

But I agree, there needs to be more goals elsewhere too.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:33 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:48 am
On that Johnston note, I think people (not just talking on here, I'm also going off Twitter and talking to mates) need to temper their expectations in some ways when it comes to new signings.

There's a tendency to look at players in simple terms as "good" or "bad" depending on form, rather than as assets the club is investing in. You obviously need players to play well, but the manager won't radically change his plans if a player has a bad few weeks.

There are people calling for John's head at the moment. But we are talking about a 26 year old we gave a three year deal to. He's out of form, but Evatt will be expected to stick with him and turn that around.

There are a lot of players in this squad who are on relatively good money and who Evatt and the recruitment lot made cases for.

There's latitude with Doyle, for example, because Evatt will have sold him to the board as man to get us out of League Two - which was done - and he wanted to go. Players like John, Johnston, Dapo, Kachunga, Bakayoko - these are guys Evatt will have pinned his flag to in a way. A recruitment team and a manager are obviously judged by success on the pitch, but questions are also asked when individual players don't deliver as expected. "Why did we put £'X' there?"

You might be able to get rid of a player's wages after 6 months or a year, but you have paid out fees of various kinds and quite often have to pay more if you sell a player who doesn't want to go. What looks like a straight swap wages wise can actually cost a club at this level tens or even hundreds of thousands. That includes loans, which often have fees attached. So if you dish out 50k in fees in the summer, bin the lad off in January (paying him another 20k to do it) and then pay more fees to replace him, it adds up fast.

With Doyle there were probably no loyalty bonuses or relocation payments, but if we wanted to move someone else on there could be.

When we're all here considering who to shift on and how to use our money that stuff should probably factor in.
Insightful, Ghosty, but I would say little different than many clubs for the most part (there's obviously some better able to cope with running costs).

I doubt too many would look at Dixon's Tuesday cock-up and rationalise it with his asset value. I suspect quite a few mighta started with "He's shit and the problem with this system is..." :-)

I understand what you're saying about CD's. Evatt's placed his bet(s). It's a longer bet than the last game I watched (or even the last season) yadda yadda and in five years we'll be reaping the benefits of a whole conveyer belt of assets...but if we can't suggest that "x" or "y" are currently good/bad/need replacing, there's going to be some mighty thin match snd transfer threads whilst we wait for the project to deliver... :-)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:46 am

Speaking with nothing but pure instinct and the amount of work he apparently did up front an off the ball in addition to his goals and work off the ball ....(can we really afford to get rid of a goalscorer or are we just fooling ourselves? ) I'd say keep Doyle.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:47 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:46 am
Speaking with nothing but pure instinct and the amount of work he apparently did up front an off the ball in addition to his goals and work off the ball ....(can we really afford to get rid of a goalscorer or are we just fooling ourselves? ) I'd say keep Doyle.
Bit late for that TD - he's already gone... :-)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:23 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:33 am
Insightful, Ghosty, but I would say little different than many clubs for the most part (there's obviously some better able to cope with running costs).

I doubt too many would look at Dixon's Tuesday cock-up and rationalise it with his asset value. I suspect quite a few mighta started with "He's shit and the problem with this system is..." :-)

I understand what you're saying about CD's. Evatt's placed his bet(s). It's a longer bet than the last game I watched (or even the last season) yadda yadda and in five years we'll be reaping the benefits of a whole conveyer belt of assets...but if we can't suggest that "x" or "y" are currently good/bad/need replacing, there's going to be some mighty thin match snd transfer threads whilst we wait for the project to deliver... :-)
We absolutely can and I often do. Transfer speculation is one of the fun things about forums.