Summer 2020 transfers

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:43 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:39 pm
Yes it does.
If that's his regular level for us we'll need to get that one done next summer.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:50 pm

He seems to like Evatt more than Blackburn like him - but if he excels for us, might they want to keep him on? Doubt it but such is the danger.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:55 pm

Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:50 pm
He seems to like Evatt more than Blackburn like him - but if he excels for us, might they want to keep him on? Doubt it but such is the danger.
I dunno is there is a clause they can exercise, but I don't think a decent run in League Two will massively change their view of him. You never know, though.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:05 pm

Guess they can offer him an extension but then it would be up to him. Don’t think we’d have to pay training compo if he turned it down, as they only signed him (from Gateshead?) last summer. Fact they’ve sent him out on two long loans suggest his knuckles are a long way from the boss’s door, but if (!) he wins another promotion, they might wonder if he’s an asset - player or investment.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:35 pm

It's possible, but I think we might get him either way. If he gets promoted with us he might think Evatt and BWFC can make his career. If we have a middling season he might not get offers that'd get him away from us.

I like lads who put a shift in. He's not the most naturally gifted player in the world, clearly; but he does look like he's making the most of his ability and that kind of player will always be an asset.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:01 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:08 pm
The back three were poor today, but for me both goals came from errors in midfield and signing new defenders won't fix that.

We have giants at the back because (I assume) when we play the high press and force the ball long we can mop up in the air and build again. If the opposition can drop off our mids as easily as they did today (even off White), and then turn with the ball, they will break the press far too often and get right at the back 3.

Both goals came from the mids not getting in fast enough and because Evatt was pushing Gordon to get forward and there was confusion when the mids tried to fill in. For the first one the timing was just off and the quick ball killed us. For the second one the recovering player ran right past the man on the ball because he was too focused on positions and not on play.

Yeah, we were slow on the turn and Santos fecked up royally marking Novak; but I'd say we can fix it all on the training pitch given enough time. If we have to buy a new defence on the back of that game then there's a lot more wrong than personnel.
Lots of attacking threats come about because of a slip further up the pitch. It's the job of the defence to deal with them when they occur. There was no one particularly near Novak for either goal. He could be used in an advert for ideal social distancing techniques.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:20 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:01 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:08 pm
The back three were poor today, but for me both goals came from errors in midfield and signing new defenders won't fix that.

We have giants at the back because (I assume) when we play the high press and force the ball long we can mop up in the air and build again. If the opposition can drop off our mids as easily as they did today (even off White), and then turn with the ball, they will break the press far too often and get right at the back 3.

Both goals came from the mids not getting in fast enough and because Evatt was pushing Gordon to get forward and there was confusion when the mids tried to fill in. For the first one the timing was just off and the quick ball killed us. For the second one the recovering player ran right past the man on the ball because he was too focused on positions and not on play.

Yeah, we were slow on the turn and Santos fecked up royally marking Novak; but I'd say we can fix it all on the training pitch given enough time. If we have to buy a new defence on the back of that game then there's a lot more wrong than personnel.
Lots of attacking threats come about because of a slip further up the pitch. It's the job of the defence to deal with them when they occur. There was no one particularly near Novak for either goal. He could be used in an advert for ideal social distancing techniques.
Yep. I do agree with both of you the back three have to do much better. But as Evatt himself said the midfield did not put pressure into the ball into the box for the second and against better sides doesn’t matter how switched on your back 3 are or aren’t that’s an issue.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:50 am

Don't disagree, that it's easier if we press the ball out wide and kill it before delivery. Watch Novak run past Santos to create 10 yards of space...Evatt also pointed to the free header in our box.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:16 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:01 am
Yeah, it was a catalogue of errors for that second goal. My point was rather that there's lots to fix, rather than that Santos wasn't shocking for the goal.

Gordon makes the first error when he goes to mark the winger and ignores the man on the ball. Taft, the more experienced player, should then see that and step in on him - but he also runs back into position and tells White (miles away from the ball) to go deal with it. By this point their lad has had an age to pick his ball and take touches. Novak's movement is simple and Santos has no clue where he is, which is obviously the biggest error - I'm hoping because he was worried about spacing and when he's more relaxed in the system he will be more focused. Then when Novak moves off Santos you need to see Jones come in and try to put him off his header, but he reacts too late to what he is seeing. Not Jones' fault, but you'd hope he'd do better in future.

Nobody actually took responsibility and then when the goal goes in they all start blaming each other.

Regardless of Santos not picking up, I don't think we concede that goal if the team know their jobs better even if Santos makes that mistake. This wasn't a slip where you can't predict it. It was two players ignoring a man on the ball, with his head up looking for a target. That's fixable.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:19 pm

A usually reliable Twitterer says that Yoan Zouma has been seen at Lostock. Could be training for fitness, but thinking about it he is a bit of an Evatt centre-back - likes to surge forward, doesn’t always stay switched on...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:35 pm

Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:19 pm
A usually reliable Twitterer says that Yoan Zouma has been seen at Lostock. Could be training for fitness, but thinking about it he is a bit of an Evatt centre-back - likes to surge forward, doesn’t always stay switched on...
You'd image that'd be Brockbank out on loan if it happens. Could well just be doing him a favour, though. I'd be shocked if we signed another defender.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:02 pm

Be goodbye to Brockbank if Zouma signs I think.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:05 pm

I wouldn’t be shocked at all if we signed a right-footed competitor for Santos, who may need the pressure. I suspect Evatt doesn’t fancy Brocky - not tall enough for centre-back, not mobile enough for wingback - so he may be on his way. Although I think I prefer Brocky to Zouma I wonder if it’s the other way round for Evatt - he’s fast, tall and he likes taking the ball out of defence...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:09 pm

Brockbank is about the same size as Baptiste, interestingly. He would probably compete for that position if Evatt did like him.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:41 pm

Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:05 pm
I wouldn’t be shocked at all if we signed a right-footed competitor for Santos, who may need the pressure. I suspect Evatt doesn’t fancy Brocky - not tall enough for centre-back, not mobile enough for wingback - so he may be on his way. Although I think I prefer Brocky to Zouma I wonder if it’s the other way round for Evatt - he’s fast, tall and he likes taking the ball out of defence...

I seem to recall Evatt claiming to prefer smaller centre-backs prior to joining us, I think on the grounds that they were likely to be more mobile. Unless he thinks the ones we've signed were simply too good to turn down he seems to have completely changed his opinion.

On Brockbank, I'd be sad to see him leave as I think he has something about him, although I don't quite know what.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:40 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:09 pm
Brockbank is about the same size as Baptiste, interestingly. He would probably compete for that position if Evatt did like him.
Same size as Baptiste, but about 400 fewer games’ experience. He’s supposed to be the grown-up in the room.

I’d say the Baptiste back-up is the rather different Delaney, although I’m yet to be convinced that Evatt is convinced about him either.
nicholaldo wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:41 pm
I seem to recall Evatt claiming to prefer smaller centre-backs prior to joining us, I think on the grounds that they were likely to be more mobile. Unless he thinks the ones we've signed were simply too good to turn down he seems to have completely changed his opinion.

On Brockbank, I'd be sad to see him leave as I think he has something about him, although I don't quite know what.
As you say, it is just about possible that Evatt signed centre-backs who are 6ft5, 6ft5 and 6ft6 (plus his old mate) entirely coincidentally, but the fact Barrow were relatively weak (for champions) defending set-pieces may also be related.

On Brocky, I like him too and would love him to succeed but I’ve never quite been sure if he’s a centre-back or a (relatively staid) right-back.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:42 pm

Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:40 pm
Same size as Baptiste, but about 400 fewer games’ experience. He’s supposed to be the grown-up in the room.
Which is why I'd anticipate him going on loan if we got another body in. As things currently stand I think we all see Brockbank as Santos' understudy.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:13 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:42 pm
Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:40 pm
Which is why I'd anticipate him going on loan if we got another body in. As things currently stand I think we all see Brockbank as Santos' understudy.
I agree on both. The arrival of another right-footed centre-back would confirm that Evatt thinks Brocky isn’t ready - and even if not, I wouldn’t be stunned to see Hickman deputise, or perhaps Baptiste with Delaney in the middle (which would keep the height average up).

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:18 pm

Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:13 pm
I wouldn’t be stunned to see Hickman deputise, or perhaps Baptiste with Delaney in the middle (which would keep the height average up).
Baptiste wide maybe. Hickman is 5'7", I think, he's not covering centre half in a million years.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:29 pm

Oh is he? Thought he was taller. Fair enough