January 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: January 2023 Transfer Window

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:40 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:34 pm
If we went up off the back of this back three keeping clean sheets then they’d be first dibs unless we managed to upgrade significantly on them in the summer. We’d have a lot to do in the summer too.

I would think Aimson might be at his ceiling now but that would be the case for a number of players I think.
This is the issue, yeah.

If we don't go up he might well be one we'd like to keep to compete in the squad; but his current form probably means he won't hang on for an offer and he will want guarantees of playing time to sign on.

I think a lot of people will complain if we don't keep him now (which is great for him, because he's been slated at times), but I think we'll stick to our guns and let him move on.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:54 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:46 pm
Would be interested to know if anyone would commit to offering Aimson a new contract at this stage (assuming he'd sign one, of course).
I'd give him an extra year, absolutely. 1 goal conceded in 8 games and his performances especially of late can't be argued with. I've always been a fan.

If we were top of the table, then maybe that would be a different conversation. But we aren't. We don't know what division we'll be in, but equally the defensive stability has been impressive.

It's clearly a position we are fine with at the moment as opposed to elsewhere on the pitch (DM, number 10, goalscorer).

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:19 am

jmjhb wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:54 pm
I'd give him an extra year, absolutely.
Do you think he'd sign a one year deal? Given he was going to leave, would he want playing guarantees and would we make them?

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:32 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:24 pm
sonicthewhite wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:49 pm
He's earned one in my books.
I think a few are of the same opinion.

If we go up, does he start in the Championship for you?
I think he deserves the chance to find out. At the very least he'd make a good back up.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:08 am

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:32 am
I think he deserves the chance to find out. At the very least he'd make a good back up.
When he arrived here he said he believed he could play in the Championship and had something to prove. So he clearly thinks he can make it there.

I think the issue is he was considering leaving this month over lack of football, so I can't get past him needing guarantees in order to sign a new deal. I don't see him wanting to be "back up" anymore and if he keeps playing as he is he will attract offers in League One.

He couldn't be doing much more to earn a deal, but it's whether he'd accept the kind of terms/role we'd be willing to offer offer.

It's an interesting one. It's good to hear people's opinions.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:09 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:19 am
jmjhb wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:54 pm
I'd give him an extra year, absolutely.
Do you think he'd sign a one year deal? Given he was going to leave, would he want playing guarantees and would we make them?
After 18 months of being in and out of the side and having seemingly found something that works for all parties, then maybe?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:06 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:08 am
sonicthewhite wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:32 am
When he arrived here he said he believed he could play in the Championship and had something to prove. So he clearly thinks he can make it there.

I think the issue is he was considering leaving this month over lack of football, so I can't get past him needing guarantees in order to sign a new deal. I don't see him wanting to be "back up" anymore and if he keeps playing as he is he will attract offers in League One.

He couldn't be doing much more to earn a deal, but it's whether he'd accept the kind of terms/role we'd be willing to offer offer.

It's an interesting one. It's good to hear people's opinions.
If I harken back to last year, I think whilst he might have been 4th/5th choice to Evatt, he wasn't 4th or 5th "best defender" - I'd have been pretty happy to clone Aimson and Johnston (last season's vintages) as one could pass but not defend very well, the other could defend then got a touch of the Tommy Caton's with the ball at his feet. So purely on "can they defend," I always had Aimson ahead of Gethin (as a CB) and Johnston and Baps who's legs had left the building.

Both Johnston and Aimson, looked to have worked hard in the intervening. Johnston has come on leaps and bounds defending and positionally, Aimson not looking like a rabbit in the headlights when the ball comes down at his feet. That's down to both individuals and the coaching staff methinks. Then we added Toal - dunno if there was a "plan" for Toal, but if there was and it wasn't automatic starter, then it's gone out of the window.

Aimson isn't too old for a CB - he's still under 30. I don't see he'd want to be back-up either, but nor should we offer guarantees to any player that they're going to get X amount of playing time (or however such things are handled in football contracts). So if that's the issue, then we should let him go for me, bearing in mind, that I think we'd then have another body to sign, If that's not an issue and he's prepared for it to be a meritocracy, then we should offer him 2 years in my opinion as he could naturally slide to 4th/5th choice should we get promoted.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:16 am

Carlos Borges linked with Southampton this morning in the national press. If that’s true we probably don’t have much of a shot at getting him.

sleepingindiana79
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by sleepingindiana79 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:49 am

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:16 am
Carlos Borges linked with Southampton this morning in the national press. If that’s true we probably don’t have much of a shot at getting him.
Tbh it’s all rumours that we in for him we don’t know who this mystery exiting player is and tbh looking on as a football manager player he seems to be more of a winger then a striker so he wouldn’t really fit the system but saying that football manager isn’t always accurate just my thoughts

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:53 am

sleepingindiana79 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:49 am
The_Gun wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:16 am
Tbh it’s all rumours that we in for him we don’t know who this mystery exiting player is and tbh looking on as a football manager player he seems to be more of a winger then a striker so he wouldn’t really fit the system but saying that football manager isn’t always accurate just my thoughts
I think we were pretty much in the same boat, 2 Divs down, tbf...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:08 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:06 am
If I harken back to last year, I think whilst he might have been 4th/5th choice to Evatt, he wasn't 4th or 5th "best defender" - I'd have been pretty happy to clone Aimson and Johnston (last season's vintages) as one could pass but not defend very well, the other could defend then got a touch of the Tommy Caton's with the ball at his feet. So purely on "can they defend," I always had Aimson ahead of Gethin (as a CB) and Johnston and Baps who's legs had left the building.

Both Johnston and Aimson, looked to have worked hard in the intervening. Johnston has come on leaps and bounds defending and positionally, Aimson not looking like a rabbit in the headlights when the ball comes down at his feet. That's down to both individuals and the coaching staff methinks. Then we added Toal - dunno if there was a "plan" for Toal, but if there was and it wasn't automatic starter, then it's gone out of the window.

Aimson isn't too old for a CB - he's still under 30. I don't see he'd want to be back-up either, but nor should we offer guarantees to any player that they're going to get X amount of playing time (or however such things are handled in football contracts). So if that's the issue, then we should let him go for me, bearing in mind, that I think we'd then have another body to sign, If that's not an issue and he's prepared for it to be a meritocracy, then we should offer him 2 years in my opinion as he could naturally slide to 4th/5th choice should we get promoted.
Could see him ending up at Pompey if he doesn't stay here. That was the one doing the rounds before they sacked their gaffer(s) with no replacement plan.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:13 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:08 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:06 am

Could see him ending up at Pompey if he doesn't stay here. That was the one doing the rounds before they sacked their gaffer(s) with no replacement plan.
Well he'll have enhanced his chances after the last two games :-)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:14 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:13 pm
Well he'll have enhanced his chances after the last two games :-)
Yeah, I'm really pleased for him. He moved up here and took a chance on his career that wasn't working out until Santos got ill.

You're right that he's benefitted from the coaching here and is still a good age. If he does move on we'll be sending someone a better player.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:35 pm

At this point I'd get rid of Santos before Aimson - not that I want either of them to leave.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:35 pm

It is noticeable how much several players have improved over the past year, which anyone but a cynic might put down as a win for both the scouting team and the coaching staff.

One other note on Aimson - the tactical switch which has minimised his (often wonky) long balls out of defence. Morley dropping deeper into a sort of quarterback role has given Aimson an easy out that has minimised one of his weaknesses and harnessed one of Morley's strengths. Credit again to the coaching staff. It's a simple thing, but so was taking Rico off man-marking at corners and leaving him as spare man.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:59 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:35 pm
It is noticeable how much several players have improved over the past year, which anyone but a cynic might put down as a win for both the scouting team and the coaching staff.

One other note on Aimson - the tactical switch which has minimised his (often wonky) long balls out of defence. Morley dropping deeper into a sort of quarterback role has given Aimson an easy out that has minimised one of his weaknesses and harnessed one of Morley's strengths. Credit again to the coaching staff. It's a simple thing, but so was taking Rico off man-marking at corners and leaving him as spare man.
Yeah this. And Morley dropping in to get the ball has improved us as a team generally. His passing range is so good as is his vision. He’s better than any centre half in those areas.

The fact with Aimson is he’s always looked good in this central role and always looked pretty hapless as a wide centre half. The two roles are quite different.

Now in theory given he has pace and likes to stride forward santos could play in one of those wide centre back roles with some coaching. Does he have the stamina? Dunno.

Right now Aimson is not only playing well he’s also taking responsibility for the back three and organising it. He’s a level above on current form anything we’ve seen there.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:27 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:35 pm

It has taken us time to adapt that ideal "triple pivot" spine of Evatt's sides with Santos out and 10 not firing, but we're certainly getting there now.

I think Evatt will still want to get back to it, but no need to change for the sake of it and with the pitch how it is it's arguably better for now.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:05 pm

The Aimson vs Santos conversation is starting to remind me a lot of Ream vs Wheater.

A lot of the Bolton fan base will tell you Ream is a dreadful player and Wheater is several levels above him, but one is playing in the Premier League right now and the other is at Darlington in the National League North.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:13 pm

Mr. Iles linking us with an unnamed Premier League attacking signing.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:04 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:13 pm
Mr. Iles linking us with an unnamed Premier League attacking signing.
Man City U23 by any chance?