Dougie Freedman - New Manager

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Dougie Freedman - New Manager

Post by James B » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:54 am

palace going very well at the moment. definitely a promotion contender.

but i could make cases for about 12 teams tbh. such a tight league.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:11 pm

CPFC4EVA wrote:
thebish wrote:
edit: oops - make that 5-0 (and Zaha didn't get any of them...)

:pissed:

Many in the media, and allot of the greed league sky "armchair fans" keep saying we are a one man (Zaha) team, meanwhile those of us that actually go to watch our team play are fully aware that our team has brilliance right across it. Exciting times.
They are indeed and good luck to you.There's been a few here bemoaning that we werent in for holloway.I really like the fella and his attitude but we didnt really need exciting we needed organising and tightening up.In the long term I feel Freedmans approach may get us up and have a chance of keeping us there.

With Holloway you'll never have a dull moment,interviews will be honest funny and frank and there will be goals.It's certainly an approach that could see you get promoted. Whether Holloway can adapt more successfully and keep a team up this time round is a bit questionable but you'd certainly get a few days in the sun.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:15 pm

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:
CPFC4EVA wrote:
thebish wrote:

Many in the media, and allot of the greed league sky "armchair fans" keep saying we are a one man (Zaha) team, meanwhile those of us that actually go to watch our team play are fully aware that our team has brilliance right across it. Exciting times.
They are indeed and good luck to you.There's been a few here bemoaning that we werent in for holloway.I really like the fella and his attitude but we didnt really need exciting we needed organising and tightening up.In the long term I feel Freedmans approach may get us up and have a chance of keeping us there.

With Holloway you'll never have a dull moment,interviews will be honest funny and frank and there will be goals.It's certainly an approach that could see you get promoted. Whether Holloway can adapt more successfully and keep a team up this time round is a bit questionable but you'd certainly get a few days in the sun.
For this, please read "A few days where you'll be playing teams who have £100 million worth of players on the bench and be thinking, what's the point of even turning up".
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:20 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:
Ianmooreslovechild wrote:
CPFC4EVA wrote:
thebish wrote:

For this, please read "A few days where you'll be playing teams who have £100 million worth of players on the bench and be thinking, what's the point of even turning up".
nah, I think holloways approach means you'll get the odd memorable win against the bigger teams,he is the mouse that roared but over a season playing an open game with players of a lower standard than the expensive ones(and big squads) they are up against may well lead to relegation. It's all about the journey though.I doubt that there are many in blackpool who are glad to see him go.

CPFC4EVA
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by CPFC4EVA » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:26 pm

Day out in the sun will do me :)
Every 10 years we get an "outing" to the top division, for one season of course, then back down again lol.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:33 pm

CPFC4EVA wrote:Day out in the sun will do me :)
Every 10 years we get an "outing" to the top division, for one season of course, then back down again lol.
The fashion seems to be relegated in season 2 these days :mrgreen:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:But McCarthy won on Saturday away at Birmingham. So does that make him a good or bad manager? I'm cconfused. I guess we'll have to wait for the next game before we can decide for sure..... :roll:
no - cos on aggregate he is 5-1 down - so he is shoite! :wink:

(even Coyle didn't ship 5 against Palace...)

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:22 pm

CPFC4EVA wrote:Day out in the sun will do me :)
i think Zaha is one of the most overated players in years and will destroy his carrer by moving to one of the big guns and being s**t in the premiership. it will be like Freddy Adu but worse
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:35 pm

CPFC4EVA wrote:
thebish wrote:

I lumped a fiver on your palace side beating p/boro 2-1 on sat so cheers for that Ollie.. :oyea:

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:52 am

Quite an interesting 5 page thread on the Bristol Rovers forum about Lennie Lawrence and Bolton. Seems most there think he was the brains behind their most successful spell of the last 20 years,with Paul Trollope, and when they ditched Lennie Trollope completely lost his way.
The naysayers point to his signings as being iffy and refer to his spending at cardiff and Grimsby as being damaging. Interesting stuff.Apparently the grimsby chairman said something about him spoending every penny he had . Odd comment really. As chairman you'd expect him to tell the manager what there is to spend and not moan about it after the fact.

Anyway tactics and organisation wise it sounds pretty solid and hopefully between him and freeman they will spend what they have wisely.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:24 pm

Must be on a right wedge to swap a chance at promotion for this set of c*nts

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:38 am

From the armchair things seemed to have improved but it's a work in progress. These draws are disappointing though and maybe we won't go straight back up.

The description from the Palace fan comparing Dougie to a 60-year-old Italian manager might be why we're getting the draws - playing for a 1-0 but not quite getting it right yet. I remember a similar thing with BSA in the early-ish days losing/drawing the game by conceding late on.

I don't think you can go from having a squad of unfit, unorganized players to a squad of fit, organized players in.. 3 weeks (how long is it?)

Instead of 3 draws in a row would we be happier with a win and two losses?
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:47 am

Armchair Wanderer wrote:From the armchair things seemed to have improved but it's a work in progress. These draws are disappointing though and maybe we won't go straight back up.

The description from the Palace fan comparing Dougie to a 60-year-old Italian manager might be why we're getting the draws - playing for a 1-0 but not quite getting it right yet. I remember a similar thing with BSA in the early-ish days losing/drawing the game by conceding late on.

I don't think you can go from having a squad of unfit, unorganized players to a squad of fit, organized players in.. 3 weeks (how long is it?)

Instead of 3 draws in a row would we be happier with a win and two losses?
Nail on head.
:pray:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:35 am

Armchair Wanderer wrote:From the armchair things seemed to have improved
In what way? Coyle was criticised for continually changing the team, leaving out players like Petrov and Sordell and picking players out of position. Yesterday we had yet another midfield line-up, N'gog playing on the wing and no sign of Petrov or Sordell. None of which would matter if we were picking up 3 points, but we're not.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:40 am

BL3 wrote:
In what way? Coyle was criticised for continually changing the team, leaving out players like Petrov and Sordell and picking players out of position. Yesterday we had yet another midfield line-up, N'gog playing on the wing and no sign of Petrov or Sordell. None of which would matter if we were picking up 3 points, but we're not.
Just so I can locate your viewpoint BL3, is it that you are saying Coyle was unfairly treated or that Freedman is a poor alternative ?

Or are you just being disagreeable for fun ?

I don't mind whichever, just so I known the basis for your antagonistic positions at the moment.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:46 am

BL3 wrote:
Didn't watch the game but imho he's just come in and is figuring out things.

I have no idea but at Palace he had Zaha on the wing so maybe he's trying to find someone who can do similar stuff. Maybe Petrov and Sordell aren't his kind of players and/or are rubbish in training. I'm happy to bash OC about signing players and not playing them but there seems to be a problem with Sordell because no manager wants to play him. I like Petrov as a player but he may not work hard enough in training, what with being 30+... or maybe he doesn't trackback and put the workrate in.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:52 am

He said thhat yesterday Petrov wasn't on the bench as a late decision due to Warnock having been ill in the week and wanting Eaves available in case he didn't manage it.

Warnock felt able to play but on 20m had to give in, which was why he went off.

Now, I personally, would want to see Petrov & Lee both start. With Spearing & Butterfield adding the sort of strength in the middle we've been lacking since Moo & Holden were at their best there is more possibility of that ... but there's a way to go yet.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:54 am

Armchair Wanderer wrote:Didn't watch the game but imho he's just come in and is figuring out things.
Petrov and N'gog changed the game against Cardiff at home. Petrov played on the wing and N'gog played up front. What's to 'figure out'? Shuffling a pack that didn't need shuffling was a criticism often leveled at the previous manager...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:56 am

BL3 wrote:
Coyle was criticised for taking us down despite maintaining a 55M pound wage bill that would and should have put us around 12th.

For his shambolic organisation and for then telling everyone at the fans forum that the squad he had built this season, was a fantastic group and anything short of promotion would be failure and that this 'squad' would have been the same were we in the premiership and would have done well. Shortly after he took us to the bottom 6 of the championship, despite having the squad in his words 'he always wanted'.

I don't think it's a stretch to say his performance against those targets and words was piss poor.

I think it's becoming increasingly evident that whilst we have some good players we are woefully unbalanced and lacking in some key departments. I will admit that I have in the past overestimated this group of players and I still think we are under performing.

However, Coyle was paid a lot of money to do a job which he failed to do. Dougie is now being paid a lot of money to try and sort it out.

There are only two possibilities.

Either Coyle was causing the squad we have to underperform massively OR he assembled a squad he thought was ace but actually isn't.

Either way Coyle was a disaster, however you might want to paint it.

Dougie has had 4 games and IMO yesterday was the first poor result.

If you think the mess can be sorted out with a flick of the switch then your as naive as the guy you seem, to idolise.

Even Sam Allardyce couldn't do that from a very similar position!
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:03 pm

bobo the clown wrote:He said thhat yesterday Petrov wasn't on the bench as a late decision due to Warnock having been ill in the week and wanting Eaves available in case he didn't manage it.

Warnock felt able to play but on 20m had to give in, which was why he went off.

Now, I personally, would want to see Petrov & Lee both start. With Spearing & Butterfield adding the sort of strength in the middle we've been lacking since Moo & Holden were at their best there is more possibility of that ... but there's a way to go yet.
This is our bench yesterday:

34 Lynch
02 Mears
05 Ream
08 Andrews
21 Pratley
27 Lee
17 Afobe

Seven subs and only two attacking options. At home. To Barnsley...