Abdoulaye's going t'Souk transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Abdoulaye's going t'Souk transfer thread

Post by Prufrock » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:19 am

I like Eagles, but who the holy feck decided giving him a contract worth £30k a week was a good idea?!

Also, "and despite being a real fan favourite last season"?!

Oh right yeah, couldnt miss the love.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:33 am

Prufrock wrote:I like Eagles, but who the holy feck decided giving him a contract worth £30k a week was a good idea?!

I thought that too, but the average Prem salary was around the 25/30k mark last year, so it was certainly on the high side of average when we gave him that contract.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:37 am

And how much is his mate Tyrone on? How Coyle was allowed to make the pay awards he made is absolutely staggering.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:55 am

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 42669.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Report here suggests 25k per week.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:19 am

Worthy4England wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 42669.html

:shock:

That article. Wow.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:21 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Prufrock wrote:I like Eagles, but who the holy feck decided giving him a contract worth £30k a week was a good idea?!

I thought that too, but the average Prem salary was around the 25/30k mark last year, so it was certainly on the high side of average when we gave him that contract.
My view also. Big money for an OK player who had one (relegated) Premiership season behind him.

No wonder we got ourselves into trouble.

... & if £25k pw is closer to the mark well, whoop. That's a whole pile better.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Devon White
Promising
Promising

Post by Devon White » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:33 am

Worthy4England wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 42669.html

What with citys average salary last week, gartside this week and a report like that, in can only be classed as a 'sport' in name only.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:29 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:And how much is his mate Tyrone on? How Coyle was allowed to make the pay awards he made is absolutely staggering.
suspending all normal world thoughts on salaries and earning thereof, unless someone can show that we were paying well over the going rate for the players at the time, I don't see what the issue is.

we were competing in the PL and paying those levels came with the territory. Of course you may question who was bought, but then again they only just went down.

relegation and failure to get back up has of course brought a different perspective. I still think its been more of a crime to still be paying some of those salaries and not getting the best out of those players.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:46 am

Is that right? Did Danny Shittu really only play ten games for us? :?
Businesswoman of the year.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:52 am

CrazyHorse wrote:Is that right? Did Danny Shittu really only play ten games for us? :?
I thought it was less tbh. We used him in cups (disastrously ... remember losing at home to Northampton ??) and sub now and again.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:53 am

The worry isn't so much what we were paying in the Premier League (ridiculous and unsustainable, but broadly in line with our rivals), it's what we've continued to spend in the Championship. Seemingly few relegation clauses and a whole boatload of big new contracts (Andrews, Knight, Wheater, Beckford, Baptiste). The biggest losses, the most debt, the highest wage bill.

Meanwhile, we can't get into the top half. It is staggering mismanagement on every level.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:56 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Very difficult to see why he'd have not selected him, not even on the bench, for 2 to 3 months. I can get that he's expensive and wouldn't get a new contract .... not at that salary at any rate, just why not use him while you have him ?

If I was petty minded I'd think DF saw his arse when he declined a loan to Charlton. So he sulks and cuts off OUR nose to spite OUR face. Oh, I've just remembered ... I AM petty minded.
Exactly my point. If he's going, then fine (despite nobody confirming that yet) but not picking him whilst we're paying him money for doing nothing in order to prove a "I'm in charge" point says more about the manager than the player (am I right in thinking Dougie has denied any rift between them?). Things making sense is always a good reason for doing them. Not much so far about what D.F does seems to back this. Eagles is just one example.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:03 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:And how much is his mate Tyrone on? How Coyle was allowed to make the pay awards he made is absolutely staggering.
suspending all normal world thoughts on salaries and earning thereof, unless someone can show that we were paying well over the going rate for the players at the time, I don't see what the issue is.

we were competing in the PL and paying those levels came with the territory. Of course you may question who was bought, but then again they only just went down.

relegation and failure to get back up has of course brought a different perspective. I still think its been more of a crime to still be paying some of those salaries and not getting the best out of those players.
I can tell you what the issue was.

Our wage bill the year we went down was the 13th highest in the division. We finished 18th. That would suggest to me, we were paying too much for either the players we had (and I think there was some of that) and the manager we had (and I think there was plenty of that).

We spent a good while punching above our weight, but the season we went down, we were clearly paying too much for the cloggers on show.

Coyle bought largely championship level players and put them on premiership wages.

We spent £20m on salaries more than Norwich and Swansea who finished 11 points in front of us.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:05 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Very difficult to see why he'd have not selected him, not even on the bench, for 2 to 3 months. I can get that he's expensive and wouldn't get a new contract .... not at that salary at any rate, just why not use him while you have him ?

If I was petty minded I'd think DF saw his arse when he declined a loan to Charlton. So he sulks and cuts off OUR nose to spite OUR face. Oh, I've just remembered ... I AM petty minded.
Exactly my point. If he's going, then fine (despite nobody confirming that yet) but not picking him whilst we're paying him money for doing nothing in order to prove a "I'm in charge" point says more about the manager than the player (am I right in thinking Dougie has denied any rift between them?). Things making sense is always a good reason for doing them. Not much so far about what D.F does seems to back this. Eagles is just one example.
Maybe there's other expensive clauses in his Contract like appearance fees, assist/goal bonuses etc. maybe Freedman had determined we weren't going up and weren't going down, so he'd save himself the extras....

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:08 pm

↑↑↑ You may well be right Worthy. So the club/manager/twitter/Lofty/Phyllis, the tea-woman should say that It's not difficult this treating people like adults stuff.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:09 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Maybe there's other expensive clauses in his Contract like appearance fees, assist/goal bonuses etc. maybe Freedman had determined we weren't going up and weren't going down, so he'd save himself the extras....
Might be the case indeed Worthy, which begs the question, did Dougie accept mid-table mediocrity three months ago? Pretty negative....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:15 pm

bobo the clown wrote:↑↑↑ You may well be right Worthy. So the club/manager/twitter/Lofty/Phyllis, the tea-woman should say that It's not difficult this treating people like adults stuff.
They might be under Non-Disclosure formally within the Contact....

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:45 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Might be the case indeed Worthy, which begs the question, did Dougie accept mid-table mediocrity three months ago? Pretty negative....
To be fair, 3 months ago we were looking over our shoulders with a bit of unease rather than looking ahead with a telescope!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:00 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote:
I'd say that that's fine if you're getting the going rate of player in return. As I've pointed out repeatedly, there wasn't a single other club in for the out of contract Zat Knight, yet we decided to give him £25K a week, apparently.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:24 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
StaffsTrotter wrote:
I'd say that that's fine if you're getting the going rate of player in return. As I've pointed out repeatedly, there wasn't a single other club in for the out of contract Zat Knight, yet we decided to give him £25K a week, apparently.
And Ricketts, Andrews, Mills... and I see (according to the Mail) we're set to continue subsidising Sordell's wages if he's at Brentford next year.

None of which makes Freedman a good manager, but it's pretty much unarguable that we're still paying a lot of wages to Coyle's deadwood.