Abdoulaye's going t'Souk transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: Abdoulaye's going t'Souk transfer thread

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:48 pm

Very pleased by this. Might be a new policy on contract lengths for over 30s. makes sense if we are serious about promoting youth.

Vertigo
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Vertigo » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:01 am

Wonder what long term injury he'll pick up?

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:23 am

falling-out-with-freedman-itis ?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:22 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:A one-year deal, too. Which is fine. Meal tickets no longer reimbursed.
Yep. This. We need to be leaner. Giving Danns a one year deal is excellent from the club. If he plays well and we are in the position to, no doubt that can be extended.
At 31 we'd hardly be wheeling him out in a bath chair at the end of his contract had we given him two, but overall I'm pleased that he's agreed to sign permanently. Do we have first dibs on him at the end of next season, do we know?
He'll be nearer 33 than 32 by the end of the contract, and as Boris hints, his active style may not improve with age. That's not to decry a player who has impressed just about everybody here; it's to applaud the decision. Lots of big clubs habitually only offer one-year extensions to thrirtysomething players - see Chelsea vs Lampard, 2013 – so I see no reason why we should bump up people's pension pots. If he and we are happy this time next year, we can discuss an extension... which is pretty much what's happened here.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:43 pm

It's always risky signing players who have impressed on loan too, so I don't mind a year long contract. Maybe it's the case that Danns wanted to impress for us, thinking it'd allow him.to have a season with Leicester in the Premier League? I'm not saying that's the case but plenty of loanees impress at first and then when signed, they don't perform as well. Maybe Spearing is a good example? For that reason, a year long deal is fine I think and if he does well, extend that deal.

I don't remember being so unenthusiastic about a league season though. Even after being relegated, I was looking forward to seeing how we'd perform when we were the favourites rather than underdogs. However this year, I don't see us getting promoted, making progress or playing good football, so I'm not excited about it at all. It'll just be another disappointing year full of mediocrity on the pitch and excuses off it. Freedman going would give me some optimism but, sadly, that won't happen.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:50 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:I don't remember being so unenthusiastic about a league season though. Even after being relegated, I was looking forward to seeing how we'd perform when we were the favourites rather than underdogs. However this year, I don't see us getting promoted, making progress or playing good football, so I'm not excited about it at all. It'll just be another disappointing year full of mediocrity on the pitch and excuses off it. Freedman going would give me some optimism but, sadly, that won't happen.
You're a little ray of sunshine :lol:

Come for a pint after the B'ham game. We'll get you grinning ... smiler.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:36 pm

At the moment, I'm not looking forward to next season particularly.

I reserve the right to change my mind once we've cleared some crap off the payroll.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:43 pm

To try and move beyond oft-repeated cliche, and move more towards tangible reality, do you have anyone specifically in mind whose removal would precipitate our upward movement by their removal?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:13 pm

Zat fecking Knight. All went to pot when he signed :D

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu May 01, 2014 5:31 am

bobo the clown wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:I don't remember being so unenthusiastic about a league season though. Even after being relegated, I was looking forward to seeing how we'd perform when we were the favourites rather than underdogs. However this year, I don't see us getting promoted, making progress or playing good football, so I'm not excited about it at all. It'll just be another disappointing year full of mediocrity on the pitch and excuses off it. Freedman going would give me some optimism but, sadly, that won't happen.
You're a little ray of sunshine :lol:

Come for a pint after the B'ham game. We'll get you grinning ... smiler.
Bruce wearing one of his shirts then?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 01, 2014 2:47 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:To try and move beyond oft-repeated cliche, and move more towards tangible reality, do you have anyone specifically in mind whose removal would precipitate our upward movement by their removal?
Oft-repeated like "removal"?

In most cases, losing players doesn't make you stronger: getting replacements does. But as you ask: according to the last time I updated the contact expiry thread, players out of contact this summer are

Arran Lee-Barrett
Jay Lynch
Tyrone Mears
Zat Knight
Stuart Holden
Chris Eagles
Andre Moritz

Mears and Knight can go immediately. Eagles has disappeared and we haven't missed him. For all the promise of the odd sub appearance, Moritz hasn't been worth an extension. Holden is a difficult one - surely he won't be asking much, but nor should we be giving it. ALB is unneeded back-up; Lynch I don't know, but his wages will be f*ck-all anyway. The key is shedding the big earners we don't use – Mears, Knight, Eagles. That allows us to get new men in, and also freshens the place up.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu May 01, 2014 2:56 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:... players out of contact this summer are ...
You'd have thought on their wages they could at least afford a phone at least :(
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 01, 2014 3:06 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:To try and move beyond oft-repeated cliche, and move more towards tangible reality, do you have anyone specifically in mind whose removal would precipitate our upward movement by their removal?

In most cases, losing players doesn't make you stronger: getting replacements does. But as you ask: according to the last time I updated the contact expiry thread, players out of contact this summer are

Arran Lee-Barrett
Jay Lynch
Tyrone Mears
Zat Knight
Stuart Holden
Chris Eagles
Andre Moritz

Mears and Knight can go immediately. Eagles has disappeared and we haven't missed him. For all the promise of the odd sub appearance, Moritz hasn't been worth an extension. Holden is a difficult one - surely he won't be asking much, but nor should we be giving it. ALB is unneeded back-up; Lynch I don't know, but his wages will be f*ck-all anyway. The key is shedding the big earners we don't use – Mears, Knight, Eagles. That allows us to get new men in, and also freshens the place up.
Lonergan wants out.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 01, 2014 4:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Arran Lee-Barrett
Jay Lynch
Tyrone Mears
Zat Knight
Stuart Holden
Chris Eagles
Andre Moritz

Lonergan wants out.
Fine, we can find another one - doesn't mean it has to be ALB.

Lonergan's got a year's contract left, as have the following. Deals may be struck with those who want to employ them.

Adam Bogdan
Joe Riley
Matt Mills
Tim Ream
Keith Andrews
Josh Vela
Darren Pratley
Yannick Bastos
Chung-Yong Lee
Chris Lester
Luke Woodland
Tom Youngs
Jermaine Beckford
Marvin Sordell
Craig Davies
Zach Clough

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Thu May 01, 2014 5:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Arran Lee-Barrett
Jay Lynch
Tyrone Mears
Zat Knight
Stuart Holden
Chris Eagles
Andre Moritz

Lonergan wants out.
Fine, we can find another one - doesn't mean it has to be ALB.

Lonergan's got a year's contract left, as have the following. Deals may be struck with those who want to employ them.

Adam Bogdan
Joe Riley
Matt Mills
Tim Ream
Keith Andrews
Josh Vela
Darren Pratley
Yannick Bastos
Chung-Yong Lee
Chris Lester
Luke Woodland
Tom Youngs
Jermaine Beckford
Marvin Sordell
Craig Davies
Zach Clough
I can see us selling Chungy (or he'll want to go), can't see him wanting to do another season in the championship and I'm sure some foreign club will come in for him. Especially as the Korean national coach said last year that he should be playing at a higher level.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu May 01, 2014 5:21 pm

As he seen Chungy since he came back?!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu May 01, 2014 6:29 pm

wigan white wrote:the Korean national coach said last year that he should be playing at a higher level.
Atacama?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu May 01, 2014 6:33 pm

Enoch wrote:
wigan white wrote:the Korean national coach said last year that he should be playing at a higher level.
Atacama?
:lol:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Thu May 01, 2014 7:03 pm

Enoch wrote:
Atacama?
Aye, thats the one :mrgreen:

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri May 02, 2014 12:07 pm

Rumours that Knight, Eagles and Mears have already been booted.