The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:38 pm

^ spookily accurate! :D

Tough season ahead. As long as we, the fans, treat it like a first season in the premier league and keep our expectations realistic. Survival will be great. Anything else is a bonus...
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:58 am

Tombwfc wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:44 pm
I know it's an accepted fact that Bolton Wanderers have never and will never win a game without him, but this absolute faith in Gary Madine is completely out of hand.

Start the season with Madine > fans slowly remember he's actually a bit shit > fans turn on Madine > manager replaces him with [insert name of goalshy carthorse here] > Madine gets back in the team and suddenly looks like Didier Drogba in comparison.
I think he's better than most think. Also I haven't seen many target men on frees this summer who I thought would do the job.

Nor young lads on loan. The target man role tends to be best with some experience.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:11 am

Its pretty clear that we can't upgrade on Madine. Wether that is because we can't afford to, the player isn't out there or whatever thats the case. I certainly welcome another option up top...cant say i am overwhelmed by Wilbraham, but there you go. As ever with our strikers if we could combine a couple of em into one player (Madines aerial ability with Le Fondres eye for a goal) Inwpuld be happy, bit we have to get a formation in place to get a combination of them out there. Usually our achilees heel.

This 23 man squad thing, how does this all work? We have more players now dont we?

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:14 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:11 am
Its pretty clear that we can't upgrade on Madine. Wether that is because we can't afford to, the player isn't out there or whatever thats the case. I certainly welcome another option up top...cant say i am overwhelmed by Wilbraham, but there you go. As ever with our strikers if we could combine a couple of em into one player (Madines aerial ability with Le Fondres eye for a goal) Inwpuld be happy, bit we have to get a formation in place to get a combination of them out there. Usually our achilees heel.

This 23 man squad thing, how does this all work? We have more players now dont we?
Just checked the current First Team squad on the BWFC website. We have 24 players at the moment including the two lads from West Ham plus Alex Perry and Jack Earing. Do these young lads count in the squad total as they have come through the Development Squad? I know there was something a couple of years ago where you could play them but they didn't need to within your 25.

If we sign both Wilbraham and Baptista then we would be up to 26 (possibly 24). We would have to leave at least one out or send them on loan somewhere.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:55 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:14 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:11 am

Just checked the current First Team squad on the BWFC website. We have 24 players at the moment including the two lads from West Ham plus Alex Perry and Jack Earing. Do these young lads count in the squad total as they have come through the Development Squad? I know there was something a couple of years ago where you could play them but they didn't need to within your 25.

If we sign both Wilbraham and Baptista then we would be up to 26 (possibly 24). We would have to leave at least one out or send them on loan somewhere.
The rules changed on embargoes this summer. Hence the new lower wage cap and 23 player limit (down from 24). We do not know if the rules on player registrations have altered. It wasn't exactly clear last year anyway.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:58 pm

If Perry and Earing (etc) count toward the total, they'll be sent on loan. Iles suggested this after his chat with Ken this week. No quotes on that subject but the timing will not be coincidental.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:35 pm

Imagine we'll be trying to get Turner out somewhere too?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:09 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:35 pm
Imagine we'll be trying to get Turner out somewhere too?
Maybe but not necessarily, if we can't recall him (which is less usual with window-to-window loans). Parky might want all three in case of injury/suspension.

Anyway, Wilbraham signing confirmed by club – curiously:
✍ #BWFC are pleased to announce the signing of Aaron Wilbraham from @bcfctweets for an undisclosed fee
I thought we couldn't sign for fees? Iles tweets "The 'undisclosed fee' thing for Wilbraham is FA book-keeping gubbins. Wanderers have not paid a penny. But contract had to be sorted" – but how does that sit with the EFL embargo?
I'm really pleased to get the move over the line and can't wait to get going. I've joined the club at an exciting time following their promotion back to the Championship earlier this year and I'm really looking forward to introducing myself to the fans. I feel I bring a lot of experience to the table and I'm ready to give my all for Bolton Wanderers in what should be an exciting season for us.
Parky: “I’m really pleased to have got Aaron on board and I’m looking forward to working with him over the coming season.”

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:03 pm

Some glowing tributes to Wilbraham here...

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/ ... d/&page=11

If there is one other good thing about this transfer it is that we are further weakening one of our relegation rivals...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:31 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
I know it's an accepted fact that Bolton Wanderers have never and will never win a game without him, but this absolute faith in Gary Madine is completely out of hand.

Start the season with Madine > fans slowly remember he's actually a bit shit > fans turn on Madine > manager replaces him with [insert name of goalshy carthorse here] > Madine gets back in the team and suddenly looks like Didier Drogba in comparison.
I guess part of the problem is the same old, same old. Up front, we have ALF, Armstrong, Wilbraham and Madine. All the rest are listed as midfielders, defenders or keepers. We appear to be playing a game-plan that has a single point of failure in Madine as "punt" heads in his direction.

Trying to play that game-plan with ALF in there isn't going to work, as we saw last season. Not sure whether either Armstrong or Wilbraham have "controlling punts" as a key skill.

Unless we have a plan that involves "pass" as well as "punt" then we'll be in exactly the same position as last year in that we're totally reliant on Madine, only one division up, where the defenders are somewhat better.

It's a worry.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:34 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:03 pm

If there is one other good thing about this transfer it is that we are further weakening one of our relegation rivals...
It doesn't appear to be the case as he had non-playing responsibilities at City, according to Lee Johnson. Is he joining us as player/coach or just player?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:40 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:31 pm
Tombwfc wrote:

I guess part of the problem is the same old, same old. Up front, we have ALF, Armstrong, Wilbraham and Madine. All the rest are listed as midfielders, defenders or keepers. We appear to be playing a game-plan that has a single point of failure in Madine as "punt" heads in his direction.

Trying to play that game-plan with ALF in there isn't going to work, as we saw last season. Not sure whether either Armstrong or Wilbraham have "controlling punts" as a key skill.

Unless we have a plan that involves "pass" as well as "punt" then we'll be in exactly the same position as last year in that we're totally reliant on Madine, only one division up, where the defenders are somewhat better.

It's a worry.
Wilbraham is 6ft 3 so I imagine the alternative Madine option.

We're going to be direct at times, and rightly so. But the squad has more balance to it now. Ameobi and Buckley add something. Armstrong has pace and a direct style to him.

However, I still think we'll need a man to hit up there. Many teams do. At least we have some backup now. Even if he is 37.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:48 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:34 pm
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:03 pm

It doesn't appear to be the case as he had non-playing responsibilities at City, according to Lee Johnson. Is he joining us as player/coach or just player?
Yeah it seems he is just a player for us, whereas he was a player with some coaching responsibilities at Bristol. It seems he was still an important member of the squad at Bristol though...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:51 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:40 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:31 pm
Tombwfc wrote:

It's a worry.
Wilbraham is 6ft 3 so I imagine the alternative Madine option.

We're going to be direct at times, and rightly so. But the squad has more balance to it now. Ameobi and Buckley add something. Armstrong has pace and a direct style to him.

However, I still think we'll need a man to hit up there. Many teams do. At least we have some backup now. Even if he is 37.
I'm not against "direct" it's served us well. Part of the problem last season when Madine was injured was the ball going back to front (missing out midfield) and heading straight back at us...when it does that, it doesn't matter if you have Barca's midfield, they're constantly running backwards...

Interesting comments from Lee Johnson about Wilbraham
"Aaron is joining Bolton after passing a medical," Johnson told bcfc.co.uk.

"It's difficult because we didn't want to lose Aaron but it's a fantastic deal that he has been offered by Bolton.

"He's been away from his family when he's lived in Bristol and this now gives him a chance to be back with his wife and daughter.

"It also gives him the opportunity to kick on with the playing side of his game, which he really wants.

"Obviously for us, we were talking about Aaron with non-playing responsibilities. Every player wants to play as high as he can and for as long as possible.

"With the deal that is on offer from Bolton, the playing opportunities and the fact he can get home to his family, it was very difficult to stop him taking that and standing in his way.

"He moves on with our best wishes and we thank him for everything he did for this football club."

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:43 pm

Lee Anderson says we are signing someone else tomorrow - not Baptista.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:34 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:43 pm
Lee Anderson says we are signing someone else tomorrow - not Baptista.
A left back I hope.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:42 am

Could be one of the twins. Was it Rob Atkinson the better of the two?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:12 am

Wilbraham makes sense. We've got a pretty young and inexperienced squad, he's apparently a good bloke to have around - a wily old pro, who has experience of dog fights and would presumably, by the sounds of it, be absolutely delighted to be here and take it very seriously. Wouldn't expect to see him feature in the starting XI, but a good one to have around when chips are down - And they will be down. Often.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:31 am

Without evoking past ghosts, there's shades of Robbie Blake about Wilbraham. Certainly at Bristol City he seems to have been kept on as a sort of "social secretary" morphing into a coach – note Lee Johnson's quote about him being likely to get more game time for us than them. Even so, relatively low expectations of minutes played (he'll play more than Blake though – we really can't afford the money or the squad space for passengers) but also something of a "good lad to have around the place". It's not something we're desperate for: it's clichéd to say "really close bunch of lads in that dressing room" but a LOT of our players have banged on about it. It seems PP knows the value of the off-field benefits.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:36 am

Blake was a mascot - Wilbraham by all accounts will put the graft in and lead by example
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"