Gary Cahill, Bad News...

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: Gary Cahill, Bad News...

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:06 am

thebish wrote:
Zulus Thousand of em wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:If Cahill has a release clause of £17 million, which is what is generally accepted I believe.

Why would anyone pay more?
All depends on how many interested parties there are. Nowt wrong with a good old auction!
hmm - but surely they all offer £17mill and the negotiation is with Cahill himself over HIS financial package? he benefits from an auction - not us...

i thought the release clause meant that at £17million - they are free to negotiate with the player...
Release clauses are when, if a club offers that amount (or more) then we are obliged to allow the player to discuss the option if he wishes.

If two or more clubs get there then there's a possibility that the figure may rise, with a bit of an auction arising.

At that point however he is free to leave if he agrees terms.

It was pretty consistenly reported when he signed his extention that there was a £15m clause ... rising to £17m if he was an England international.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:17 am

Nobody knows the detail of the release clause.

For example there have been clauses that could only be activated between June and August, ie the summer window.

Cahill could have one of these. Or there could be a more complex set of requirements that have to be met.

I'd be very surprised if Cahill goes this window. Very surprised.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:30 am

bobo the clown wrote:
thebish wrote:
Zulus Thousand of em wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:If Cahill has a release clause of £17 million, which is what is generally accepted I believe.

Why would anyone pay more?
All depends on how many interested parties there are. Nowt wrong with a good old auction!
hmm - but surely they all offer £17mill and the negotiation is with Cahill himself over HIS financial package? he benefits from an auction - not us...

i thought the release clause meant that at £17million - they are free to negotiate with the player...
Release clauses are when, if a club offers that amount (or more) then we are obliged to allow the player to discuss the option if he wishes.
that's what I meant - in other words - 2 clubs could slap £17mill on the table - and we are obliged to let cahill talk to them - he talks to them - and takes the best personal terms or the team with the best prospects - whatever - but I don't see why one would then offer us more?

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:49 am

thebish wrote:that's what I meant - in other words - 2 clubs could slap £17mill on the table - and we are obliged to let cahill talk to them - he talks to them - and takes the best personal terms or the team with the best prospects - whatever - but I don't see why one would then offer us more?
Because it'd guarantee we sold him to them instead of the other club.
Gartside will have final say on any transfers. Yes the release clause will say we HAVE to sell to a club who offer the trigger amount but not WHICH club offer it. BWFC won't give a shiny shite over Cahill's new personal terms.
Imagine a scenario where say Sunderland & West ham both offer £17mil. I'd be more inclined to sell to West Ham because Sunderland are currently direct rivals for final league position with us. However if Sunderland up their offer to £20mil it's a no brainer.
Businesswoman of the year.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:55 am

CrazyHorse wrote:
thebish wrote:that's what I meant - in other words - 2 clubs could slap £17mill on the table - and we are obliged to let cahill talk to them - he talks to them - and takes the best personal terms or the team with the best prospects - whatever - but I don't see why one would then offer us more?
Gartside will have final say on any transfers. Yes the release clause will say we HAVE to sell to a club who offer the trigger amount but not WHICH club offer it. BWFC won't give a shiny shite over Cahill's new personal terms.
Imagine a scenario where say Sunderland & West ham both offer £17mil. I'd be more inclined to sell to West Ham because Sunderland are currently direct rivals for final league position with us. However if Sunderland up their offer to £20mil it's a no brainer.
but surely - if west ham offer £17mill - and cahill wants to go there - then whatever sun'land offer - we'd have to let him go to west ham?

what am i missing?

does the £17mill JUST grant permission to TALK to the player - and NOT actually buy him if the talks please the player?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:01 pm

I think you're all worrying about this way too much.

Cahill will be staying.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:04 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:I think you're all worrying about this way too much.

Cahill will be staying.
i'm not worried - just intrigued as to how this actually works...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:05 pm

Cahill will be staying.
It's got to be bad, if BWFCI is telling you you're worrying too much.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:06 pm

Worthy4England wrote:

Cahill will be staying.
:lol:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:09 pm

Worthy4England wrote:

Cahill will be staying.
Well quite.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:30 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
If sunderland offered us £20 Million. Then Man Utd offered us £17 Million. He'd be at Manyoo for the lower price

But that's a moot point anyway, because Sunderland would only have to offer £17 Million.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:38 pm

boltonboris wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:
If sunderland offered us £20 Million. Then Man Utd offered us £17 Million. He'd be at Manyoo for the lower price

But that's a moot point anyway, because Sunderland would only have to offer £17 Million.
Well in the real world yes you're right. But strictly speaking Gartside has final say over who he does business with; he'll not sign that dotted line unless it's the best deal for BWFC.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:41 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:Well in the real world yes you're right. But strictly speaking Gartside has final say over who he does business with; he'll not sign that dotted line unless it's the best deal for BWFC.
I fear you're missing the point Hoss. It's written in the players contract that gartside MUST deal with anybody who matches the valuation of his release fee.

If somebody offered £16,999,999.99p He can tell them to feck off, as soon as they offer the extra penny, he CAN'T say no

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:42 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:

Well in the real world yes you're right. But strictly speaking Gartside has final say over who he does business with; he'll not sign that dotted line unless it's the best deal for BWFC.
but surely that's the point - £17mill is the price for Gartside NOT having the final say, surely?? Otherwise what is the clause for?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:45 pm

These clauses are all written differently and have different activation mechanisms etc.

I don't think its worth speculating.

The only thing that matters end of the day is whether we get a "sensible" bid and whether Cahill wants to go. If Coyle has persuaded him to stay till the summer as I believe then great! But if for example Man Utd, came in with a 15M bid tomorrow that did not match the release clause, and Gary Cahill handed a transfer request in we'd be selling him for that 15M.

If Cahill is cooperative theoretically we could get more than his release clause.

For me he'll go in the summer for probably just shy of 15M.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:52 pm

boltonboris wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:Well in the real world yes you're right. But strictly speaking Gartside has final say over who he does business with; he'll not sign that dotted line unless it's the best deal for BWFC.
I fear you're missing the point Hoss. It's written in the players contract that gartside MUST deal with anybody who matches the valuation of his release fee.

If somebody offered £16,999,999.99p He can tell them to feck off, as soon as they offer the extra penny, he CAN'T say no
I do get the point. We're talking about more than one club offering the release fee, to get into an auction situation. I agree he can't say no but he can choose which of them to do business with. If only one club offers it he has no choice but to deal with them. If two or more offer it then the clubs need to make it as appetising as then can for BWFC so we'll choose to deal with them.

It's all hypothetical anyway. Any deals if they were happening would've been thrashed out weeks ago. Cahill would've been talking to the clubs by now and he wouldn't have played Saturday in the FA cup.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:These clauses are all written differently and have different activation mechanisms etc.

The only thing that matters end of the day is whether we get a "sensible" bid and whether Cahill wants to go. If Coyle has persuaded him to stay till the summer as I believe then great! But if for example Man Utd, came in with a 15M bid tomorrow that did not match the release clause, and Gary Cahill handed a transfer request in we'd be selling him for that 15M.

If Cahill is cooperative theoretically we could get more than his release clause.

I don't understand how?

The only way this could happen is if Cahill turned down the contract offer. Which lets face it, it it's one of the top 5 or 6 clubs, he wouldn't!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:54 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
boltonboris wrote:

I do get the point. We're talking about more than one club offering the release fee, to get into an auction situation. I agree he can't say no but he can choose which of them to do business with. If only one club offers it he has no choice but to deal with them. If two or more offer it then the clubs need to make it as appetising as then can for BWFC so we'll choose to deal with them.
It's all hypothetical anyway. Any deals if they were happening would've been thrashed out weeks ago. Cahill would've been talking to the clubs by now and he wouldn't have played Saturday in the FA cup.
I'm not sure we're ever going to agree on this.

If City offer £17 Million, then Man U and Chelsea only have to offer the same.. We can't turn it down.. Then it's up to Cahill to decide, not us unfortunately

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:55 pm

boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:These clauses are all written differently and have different activation mechanisms etc.

I don't understand how?

The only way this could happen is if Cahill turned down the contract offer. Which lets face it, it it's one of the top 5 or 6 clubs, he wouldn't!
If Coyle says "Gary I know there is a release fee in your contract but would you consider letting us hold out for 20M"

And GC agrees. I know its unlikely but thats why I said "theoretically".

Or he could have the clause written or bought out.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:55 pm

boltonboris wrote:

surely Cahill can say no - he is not FORCED to talk to anyone by the clause - it is BWFC who can't say no, surely???