Coyle - Time to go? [post-Everton]

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Should he stay or should he go?

He should be given more time (indefinite)
28%
He should be given until Christmas
26%
He should be given a couple more games
13%
He should be sacked immediately
34%

Total votes: 94

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Coyle - Time to go? [post-Everton]

Post by Gail Platz » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:28 pm

I love how it's one or the other on this forum, how people twist things into positives or negatives to support their views for Coyle in/out. Holden a fluke signing? Come on, give credit where credit's due, he would have been in a Burnley shirt if Coyle didn't come to us.

I'm probably the most anti-Megson poster on this forum but even I will say that him signing Cahill and Lee were two masterstrokes and not 'flukes'.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:30 pm

Context. Its a bit silly (nay faintly ridiculous) to suggest we couldn't trust Coyle with the funds. He's done a decent job with f*ck all. Megson signed some, some, decent players, but his hit ratio was piss poor. And more to the point, where is all the f*cking money that he had now?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:01 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Context. Its a bit silly (nay faintly ridiculous) to suggest we couldn't trust Coyle with the funds. He's done a decent job with f*ck all. Megson signed some, some, decent players, but his hit ratio was piss poor. And more to the point, where is all the f*cking money that he had now?
coyle give it away in the form of free transfers ?

:/
Last edited by a1 on Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:05 pm

Yeah.

But seriously, back on planet earth, is there anyone who hasn't lost their mind that ever thinks we'd have recouped more than a quarter of Elmader's fee?

So, if you've a mind to start thinking, surely the next question is, well if we had that money in the past, why haven't we got it now? And further, Sammy Lee had f*ck all, and lasted about 13 games, maybe theres something in this money business?

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:09 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Yeah.

But seriously, back on planet earth, is there anyone who hasn't lost their mind that ever thinks we'd have recouped more than a quarter of Elmader's fee?

So, if you've a mind to start thinking, surely the next question is, well if we had that money in the past, why haven't we got it now? And further, Sammy Lee had f*ck all, and lasted about 13 games, maybe theres something in this money business?
he's got them playing stupidball, and he's got to go. (might not be him, might be his mates , but he wont get shut if it is them , so..)

mccann on the wing looks fecking genius now.
Last edited by a1 on Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:09 pm

It doesn't though does it, considering the embarrassment of riches he had, really?

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:17 pm

dunno , i'd SOS roy mcfarland if it means they'd play and line up correctly for saturday.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:34 pm

Interesting to see the slow progress of the tinters and hang on a bit bunch as the sack now bunch start to lose their early dominance...

Yesterday was dire - but we certainly competed first half even when Wheater was sent off...

West Brom was worse than yesterday because we had a full team on the pitch for 90 as opposed to 20 minutes...

The game before that we won 5-0... talk about short term memory loss...

Coyle, for me, put a lot in the bank last season... he's been robbed by injury of two fine players and lost others by the determination of one goal scorer to move (Coyle tried to get Elmander to sign a contract extension) and the other to return to a champions League club and start an England career as one of the most promising young strikers in the country.

Four key players gone, very, very difficult to replace...

I'm unhappy about the season, you bet, but not barmy enough to pretend that the fixture list didn't act like a kick in the bollocks and sap confidence in a major way, or that continued injury has not given Coyle huge problems, as it would any manager with a squad of the size and quality of ours.

We are not out of reach of recovery - 2 points to get out of a relegation spot, half a dozen for midtable and the vast majority of the season still to play... do we really need all this venom?

I'm worried, certainly, but none of the sack now bunch have got any idea who is going to replace the man they want out. Fanciful lists have us much solid conviction as fresh boiled jelly.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:36 pm

I'd go for Eddie Howe, purely for comedy value.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:57 pm

William the White wrote:Interesting to see the slow progress of the tinters and hang on a bit bunch as the sack now bunch start to lose their early dominance...

Yesterday was dire - but we certainly competed first half even when Wheater was sent off...

West Brom was worse than yesterday because we had a full team on the pitch for 90 as opposed to 20 minutes...

Coyle, for me, put a lot in the bank last season... he's been robbed by injury of two fine players and lost others by the determination of one goal scorer to move (Coyle tried to get Elmander to sign a contract extension) and the other to return to a champions League club and start an England career as one of the most promising young strikers in the country.

I'm unhappy about the season, you bet, but not barmy enough to pretend that the fixture list didn't act like a kick in the bollocks and sap confidence in a major way, or that continued injury has not given Coyle huge problems, as it would any manager with a squad of the size and quality of ours.

We are not out of reach of recovery - 2 points to get out of a relegation spot, half a dozen for midtable and the vast majority of the season still to play... do we really need all this venom?

I'm worried, certainly, but none of the sack now bunch have got any idea who is going to replace the man they want out. Fanciful lists have us much solid conviction as fresh boiled jelly.
You just sound deluded. Megson was sacked on a point a game.

I'd rip my right arm off to have 13 points right now.

There are always contributory factors and always, the old 'who will we get to replace him' argument.

Coyle has already had a lot more time than many before him would have got. He earned that but he's completely used up his time now, in most fans eyes, certainly going by what I hear at the game.

The 'venom' will go when we can have a team we can be proud of to watch, going out giving 100% each week, and when this horrid horrid blackest of black periods since April this year ends.

Oh for the days of lower mid table drudgery. Certainly that pisses all over this!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:59 pm

I'd rip my arm of for £30m right now.

Perhaps someone could come up with a points-per-£ ratio?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:01 pm

William the White wrote:I'm worried, certainly, but none of the sack now bunch have got any idea who is going to replace the man they want out. Fanciful lists have us much solid conviction as fresh boiled jelly.
Correct that none of the sack now bunch have any idea who is going to replace anyone.

Only Gartside would have any idea, I suspect, of who he'd ask.

Maybe on that basis we just lock the thread, along with the transfer thread and any other thread that dares to speculate.

We'll just stick to facts, so facts and facts alone WtW, none or your flowery speculation or opinion please.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:02 pm

WtW is spot on.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:03 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
William the White wrote:Interesting to see the slow progress of the tinters and hang on a bit bunch as the sack now bunch start to lose their early dominance...

Coyle has already had a lot more time than many before him would have got. He earned that but he's completely used up his time now, in most fans eyes, certainly going by what I hear at the game.
But, problematically for this claim, not reflected by votes in this poll... I admit it's certainly easier to hear fury than contained and rational thought...

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:04 pm

Ok, I'll pick up the gauntlet.

You're a stat man, whats the ppg of Coyle and Megson after a similar number of games (they must be quite close in terms of games played)?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:11 pm

William the White wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

But, problematically for this claim, not reflected by votes in this poll... I admit it's certainly easier to hear fury than contained and rational thought...
The sack immediately vote is winning.

And you know full well that if that vote is winning on here, it will be even more likely to win in a sample of fans departing the Reebok immediately after the game.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:14 pm

I'm not arsed whether he is better than Megson though. It was all about results for me then, and it still is now, and we are in the bottom three, and, crucially, we don't look like the manager has a plan to get us out of there. I think those players are good enough to stay in this league, and as much as I like him, I don't think that manager knows how to manage them so they do.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:17 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: The sack immediately vote is winning.

And you know full well that if that vote is winning on here, it will be even more likely to win in a sample of fans departing the Reebok immediately after the game.
It isn't.

It's losing definitively - it has just over one third of the votes cast...

Difference between leading - by one vote (!) and claiming a majority for 'go now'...

Bit desperate, maddo?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:30 pm

Prufrock wrote:I'm not arsed whether he is better than Megson though. It was all about results for me then, and it still is now, and we are in the bottom three, and, crucially, we don't look like the manager has a plan to get us out of there. I think those players are good enough to stay in this league, and as much as I like him, I don't think that manager knows how to manage them so they do.
I must admit to being a little disingenuous, but what I'm trying to establish is how different the position ot the club is to say 3 years ago. I think you'll find the £/points is substantially higher on the points side now. What we will require, should we have to rid ourselves of Coyle, is a man who is of a far, far greater ability than Gary Megson, and certainly better than Coyle.

And as a footnote, with the distance of time, should it all go tits up, it will be recorded that Megson spent our last dime on some dross. That will become more important as the abyss draws ever nearer.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:35 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
William the White wrote:I'm worried, certainly, but none of the sack now bunch have got any idea who is going to replace the man they want out. Fanciful lists have us much solid conviction as fresh boiled jelly.
Correct that none of the sack now bunch have any idea who is going to replace anyone.

Only Gartside would have any idea, I suspect, of who he'd ask.

Maybe on that basis we just lock the thread, along with the transfer thread and any other thread that dares to speculate.

We'll just stick to facts, so facts and facts alone WtW, none or your flowery speculation or opinion please.
I'm not really one for speculation - as my absence from the 'transfer' threads (most of the time) indicates... But I am, I confess, in favour of opinion (and who in their right mind is not in favour of flowers?).