Cardiff Awwww..... feck it!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Cardiff Awwww..... feck it!

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:59 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Based on that clip and in retrosect, Maher was clumsy, not vicious and the ref might have seen that except for the Cardiff players over-the-top reactions. The penalty also could be seen as not a deliberate foul (which used to be the criteria for penalties). Cardiff were so desperate I reckon the ref got a big touch of the Yakkies and got fluenced.
To be fair, Bobo, Maher leads with his elbow - I really don't think the ref has a choice there. The youth that gave away the penalty, well, I think we'll have to blame that on his inexperience as there's absolutely no need for him to go to ground there.

Seeing Amos get megged though, that was pretty poor.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:29 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Based on that clip and in retrosect, Maher was clumsy, not vicious and the ref might have seen that except for the Cardiff players over-the-top reactions. The penalty also could be seen as not a deliberate foul (which used to be the criteria for penalties). Cardiff were so desperate I reckon the ref got a big touch of the Yakkies and got fluenced.
To be fair, Bobo, Maher leads with his elbow - I really don't think the ref has a choice there. The youth that gave away the penalty, well, I think we'll have to blame that on his inexperience as there's absolutely no need for him to go to ground there.

Yes to all of that. You're going to get sent off 8 days out of 7, going in like Maher did.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:47 pm

As clear as red card as you'll see. Looked deliberate ut even if not then dangerously reckless.
End of season for him so he pays the price. Will it affect his contract chances?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:56 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

Innocent.

I'm innocent I tell ya. I'll swear it to the end, Worthy.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:23 pm

Bloody hell, there's one-eyed and there's one-eyed. Maher's absolutely cleaned him out careering at him at full pelt with his arm out. He'd have been lucky to get away with a yellow. The second one, "not a deliberate foul" what are you on about? If that's not a penalty, I don't know what is.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:33 pm

The simple test, applied all too infrequently in football, is to reverse the situation: if that were your team attacking, would you claim a penalty?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:39 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Innocent.

That's a great free upgrade for Brucie. 8)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:43 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Innocent.

That's a great free upgrade for Brucie. 8)
Yeah, I get to duck my round 8)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:54 pm

^^ Aye, just about half as often. ;-)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:58 pm

:lol:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:59 pm

Red card was nailed on.

Penalty for me, is just, just outside the box.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Red card was nailed on.

Just gone through it frame by frame. Not withstanding the fact that he shouldn't have made the challenge anyway, the first moment of contact is on the line. Is that legally inside or outside then? :?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:42 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

Just gone through it frame by frame. Not withstanding the fact that he shouldn't have made the challenge anyway, the first moment of contact is on the line. Is that legally inside or outside then? :?
The line is part of the area, so the goalkeeper can handle the ball on the line, but a foul on the line is a penalty.

The line is always part of the area it defines, so if any part of the ball is overhanging any part of the line it is considered to be in that area - whether that's being not fully "over the line" for a goal (it's still in play), or legally overhanging the corner quadrant for a flag-kick (that's fine), or still being on the pitch when cretins clamour for a throw-in as soon as it touches the chalk (do shut up).

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:52 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

The line is part of the area, so the goalkeeper can handle the ball on the line, but a foul on the line is a penalty.

The line is always part of the area it defines, so if any part of the ball is overhanging any part of the line it is considered to be in that area - whether that's being not fully "over the line" for a goal (it's still in play), or legally overhanging the corner quadrant for a flag-kick (that's fine), or still being on the pitch when cretins clamour for a throw-in as soon as it touches the chalk (do shut up).
Oh, I'm fully conversant with the whole-of-the-ball-over-the whole-of-the-line, issue, I've just never been clear in relation to fouls. Cheers.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:02 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Oh, I'm fully conversant with the whole-of-the-ball-over-the whole-of-the-line, issue, I've just never been clear in relation to fouls. Cheers.
You and too few others. But yeah, line's part of box, so a foul on it is a pen.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:04 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

aye - hence that (what looks to me like a really pointless thing) where players spend valuable time placing the ball so that it marginally shaves the outer edge of the line on a corner kick - as if that is going to make any difference to the kick!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:11 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Bloody hell, there's one-eyed and there's one-eyed. Maher's absolutely cleaned him out careering at him at full pelt with his arm out. He'd have been lucky to get away with a yellow. The second one, "not a deliberate foul" what are you on about? If that's not a penalty, I don't know what is.
What I'm "on about" oh fount of all knowlege, is the right to disagree. I've played and stopped both clips in every second of them. The penalty was, I agree, unfortunate and from inexperience, but in trying to reach the ball not foul the player, I did say the criteria "used to be". In the first episode, two players go airbourne, both watching the ball and trying to reach it. Having an arm up when jumping is perfectly normal and not a deliberate action, and leading with an arm and not an elbow is what Maher did. Had his elbow hit the other player point on he'd still have been in hospital. It didn't, watch the vid frame for frame, his arm goes behind the players head, not at it they collide and both go down. In come the cavalry baying for blood, off goes Maher. That's what I was "on about"
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:11 pm

That is, always has been, and always will be a penalty (argument over whether it's in or out of the box or not aside).

Maher's I've seen nut but given but he still can't have any complaints. He's absolutely flattened him at top speed. If it were up to you no Bolton player has ever committed a foul.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:16 pm

Aye. You can't charge at someone with your arm raised like that. If Maher had been stood still he might have got away with the arm. But if you go steaming in with arm raised you are giving the ref no choice.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:31 pm

You can't defend the indefensible tbf TD. Red card ever day of the week and twice on a Sunday!