Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 09, 2023 12:29 pm

JDB turns 31 in two weeks, and managed 8 starts this season. He's also likely to be one of our top earners.

I'd imagine we're talking terms to see what a deal might look like, but I'm far from convinced he'll be here next year.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue May 09, 2023 12:44 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 10:18 pm
Mo Eissa at MK Dons is far too good for division 4. No idea of his contract status but one worth looking at?
Very good player - he would be an excellent signing and the type I think that we need to improve. Whether we could afford him is another issue ?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue May 09, 2023 12:57 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 12:29 pm
JDB turns 31 in two weeks, and managed 8 starts this season. He's also likely to be one of our top earners.

I'd imagine we're talking terms to see what a deal might look like, but I'm far from convinced he'll be here next year.
Did he have an injury history before joining us?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 09, 2023 12:58 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 12:44 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 10:18 pm
Mo Eissa at MK Dons is far too good for division 4. No idea of his contract status but one worth looking at?
Very good player - he would be an excellent signing and the type I think that we need to improve. Whether we could afford him is another issue ?
Aye - doesn't seem to be out of contract, although it's possible he had a drop clause.

We'll learn a lot more about possibilities as the retained/released lists emerge, especially from contract-secretive clubs like MK. All quiet there at the moment - manager doesn't even know if he'll be kept on, which you imagine would complicate squad decisions. And they don't have to announce their lists until late May, from memory - think it's a month before contracts lapse on June 30. Not everyone's as ruthless as Morecambe.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 09, 2023 1:46 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 12:57 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 12:29 pm

Did he have an injury history before joining us?
Local news report from his summer 2019 move from Reading to Millwall said the move "Brought to an end a turbulent time with Royals which saw him pick up a number of injuries after his 2017 move from Wolves," while a fan site said "he has been impacted by injuries and constant rotation in and out the side."

However, the league appearances (NB inc subs) suggest he's certainly been available for selection for the vast majority of his time in England. First half of last season he was excluded rather than injured – he played the odd cup game.

16/17 42 Wolves
17/18 33 Reading
18/19 20 Reading
19/20 31 Millwall
20/21 38 Millwall
21/22 21 Millwall/Bolton
22/23 21 Bolton

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 09, 2023 1:57 pm

Stockton is clearly far less able than JDB, I mean it’s not even close. But he does score goals at this level to an extent that I’m not convinced any of our strikers not called Charles will.

He scores all types of goals too.

It’s a question purely for me of fit. Does he fit our system. Does he fit how we play. Can we get the best out of him. He plays a sort of point man role at Morecambe and just gets a lot of early ball. Here we don’t do that.

However, IF we got a player like that and they could get going - imagine how much goals threat we’d carry up front with him and Charles. We might not need to play that well but could win games that are right purely through two strikers who can hit double figures.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 09, 2023 1:59 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 12:58 pm
We'll learn a lot more about possibilities as the retained/released lists emerge, especially from contract-secretive clubs like MK. All quiet there at the moment - manager doesn't even know if he'll be kept on, which you imagine would complicate squad decisions.
He's just been sacked.

"Chairman Pete Winkelman will meet with the media on Thursday to address the Club’s relegation to Sky Bet League Two and to discuss next steps for MK Dons."

PS have only just noticed that Dan Crowley - the little No.10, ex-Arsenal and Feyenoord, who impressed a few of us on here when he starred against us for Cheltenham in Div Four – was among the dozens bussed out of Morecambe. But as suggested for Stockton, we may have raised our sights since.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 09, 2023 2:55 pm

Tue May 09, 2023 1:59 pm
Tue May 09, 2023 12:58 pm
We'll learn a lot more about possibilities as the retained/released lists emerge, especially from contract-secretive clubs like MK. All quiet there at the moment - manager doesn't even know if he'll be kept on, which you imagine would complicate squad decisions.
He's just been sacked.

"Chairman Pete Winkelman will meet with the media on Thursday to address the Club’s relegation to Sky Bet League Two and to discuss next steps for MK Dons."

PS have only just noticed that Dan Crowley - the little No.10, ex-Arsenal and Feyenoord, who impressed a few of us on here when he starred against us for Cheltenham in Div Four – was among the dozens bussed out of Morecambe. But as suggested for Stockton, we may have raised our sights since.
Yeah I spotted the Dan Crowley thing too and he's not that old at 25...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 09, 2023 3:00 pm

Reasonably reliable journalist saying Eisa likely to leave McDons this summer, plenty of suitors. Doesn't say if there'd be a cost though, which might rule us out.

Same chap also says Ipswich would be happy to get shut of Joe Pigott, six-foot striker they loaned to Pompey this season. He's had a poor couple of seaons but scored 15 and 20 for (the real) Wimbledon in Division Three. Not a star name but well regarded by the boss, who desrcibes him as the liveliest in the dressing room and also asked him to play in the No.10 role.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 09, 2023 3:14 pm

Tue May 09, 2023 3:00 pm
Reasonably reliable journalist saying Eisa likely to leave McDons this summer, plenty of suitors. Doesn't say if there'd be a cost though, which might rule us out.

Same chap also says Ipswich would be happy to get shut of Joe Pigott, six-foot striker they loaned to Pompey this season. He's had a poor couple of seaons but scored 15 and 20 for (the real) Wimbledon in Division Three. Not a star name but well regarded by the boss, who desrcibes him as the liveliest in the dressing room and also asked him to play in the No.10 role.
If that is what we want then surely Stockton would make a lot more sense?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 09, 2023 3:23 pm

Possibly so, although I don’t think it’s necessarily want we want. Just mentioning him in dispatches, really.

Might also depend on who else wants players. Not long since Stockton was linked to second-tier clubs, although that’s now on the other side of a disappointing season, and he’s much closer to 30.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 09, 2023 3:27 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 2:55 pm
Tue May 09, 2023 1:59 pm
have only just noticed that Dan Crowley - the little No.10, ex-Arsenal and Feyenoord, who impressed a few of us on here when he starred against us for Cheltenham in Div Four – was among the dozens bussed out of Morecambe. But as suggested for Stockton, we may have raised our sights since.
Yeah I spotted the Dan Crowley thing too and he's not that old at 25...
Aye. Curious career. Clearly has ability but seemed very much a 10, so I’d wonder if he’d fit the more recent system of two hard-working, free-running 8s in front of a deeper passer.

I wouldn’t rule it out - I wouldn’t rule much out - but it strikes me as fairly unlikely we will sign a willowy playmaker as opposed to more of a “runner” with a good enough touch to link up play patterns.

But it will be a summer of names being thrown around, not least by your bored correspondent :D

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue May 09, 2023 3:28 pm

For me we need a striker of McGoldricks quality, not Stocktons. Probably to replace Bodvarson and Jerome, particularly if we are signing Nlundulu. We then want a Kacha upgrade…

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 09, 2023 3:38 pm

If we are signing ageing but very good league one strikers then I’d say Stockton and Alfie May as a pair would be absolutely outstanding.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 09, 2023 3:58 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 3:38 pm
If we are signing ageing but very good league one strikers then I’d say Stockton and Alfie May as a pair would be absolutely outstanding.
I have to admit I'm still to be entirely sold on Stockton – to my mind he's had one good season (above the Fourth), then a good last month. I mean, he's quite possibly better (and certainly four months younger) than Joe Pigott – but then, at least Pigott's had two good seasons at this level :D

Nah, Stockton's probably better. But, again, I'm just chucking out names of players likely to be available and conceivable targets. For instance, Alfie May's under contract for another year so they'd want serious money - and he's another 5ft9er, who turns 30 in July. I get what you're saying – those two, almost a classic 9 & 10 pair, would bolster the goals-for column - but I doubt we'll go for two (more) ageing strikers with no resale hope.
officer_dibble wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 3:28 pm
For me we need a striker of McGoldricks quality, not Stocktons. Probably to replace Bodvarson and Jerome, particularly if we are signing Nlundulu. We then want a Kacha upgrade…
I'd be utterly fascinated to know how much McGoldrick is on.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 09, 2023 4:14 pm

Port Vale release six including our old mate Jamie Proctor. Also midfielder Tom Pett (31), keeper Lucas Covolan (31), forward Rory Holden (25) and 21-year-olds Derek Agyakwa and Sam Robinson.

They've offered contract extensions to potential freebies Dan Jones, David Worrall, Ben Garrity, James Wilson and Mal Benning.

Still under contract are Aidan Stone, Lewis Cass, Nathan Smith, Tom Conlon, Funso Ojo, Will Forrester, Gavin Massey, Ellis Harrison, Tommy McDermott and James Plant.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 09, 2023 4:17 pm

Tue May 09, 2023 3:58 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 3:38 pm
I have to admit I'm still to be entirely sold on Stockton – to my mind he's had one good season (above the Fourth), then a good last month. I mean, he's quite possibly better (and certainly four months younger) than Joe Pigott – but then, at least Pigott's had two good seasons at this level :D

Nah, Stockton's probably better. But, again, I'm just chucking out names of players likely to be available and conceivable targets. For instance, Alfie May's under contract for another year so they'd want serious money - and he's another 5ft9er, who turns 30 in July. I get what you're saying – those two, almost a classic 9 & 10 pair, would bolster the goals-for column - but I doubt we'll go for two (more) ageing strikers with no resale hope.
officer_dibble wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 3:28 pm
I'd be utterly fascinated to know how much McGoldrick is on.
I don’t think we will sign either tbh.

I think there is a case for Stockton on a free. Has goals in him. Is a target too.

But that’s only if we stay down. And I don’t think we will sign him regardless.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 09, 2023 6:37 pm

Bodvarson has never really had a chance to show his worth. Give him a decent run and we may not need other team's cast-offs. We need a good keeper and some faith in our squad and we'll be fine..
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 09, 2023 7:16 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 6:37 pm
We need a good keeper and some faith in our squad and we'll be fine..
I reckon a right wingback wouldn’t hurt either, Tango…

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 09, 2023 7:25 pm

Tue May 09, 2023 7:16 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 6:37 pm
We need a good keeper and some faith in our squad and we'll be fine..
I reckon a right wingback wouldn’t hurt either, Tango…
What's Fossey up to now? :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?