Official Gary Cahill transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Re: Official Gary Cahill transfer thread

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:17 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
True. He's never rebuilt from the Viera, Petit, Overmars era.
Ahhhhh... happy days.... :D

But you're right. IMHO he let Ljungberg and Pires go too soon. They got a ridiculous amount of goals between them a season. We haven't had anything like that kind of return from our many varied wingers since.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:25 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:
True. He's never rebuilt from the Viera, Petit, Overmars era.
Ahhhhh... happy days.... :D

But you're right. IMHO he let Ljungberg and Pires go too soon. They got a ridiculous amount of goals between them a season. We haven't had anything like that kind of return from our many varied wingers since.
Happy days for gooners indeed.

If Nasri goes, along with Cesc and Arshavin, your buggered again. Anyway, let's get back on track.

jimbo_bwfc
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jimbo_bwfc » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:05 am

I know he's looking at R Gary, but I question whether Wenger has the ability to scout, find and buy a top class centre back.

The only three he's ever bought in 15 years of managing Arsenal are Kolo Toure, Sol Campbell and William Gallas. And I'd only count the first as going out and getting/producing a top centre-back. Campbell was free, I doubt he'd have gone out and paid 20m for him and Gallas was given to him as part of a swap deal.

I tend to get the feeling that Wenger can't quite grasp the job of a centre back isn't to prattle around with the ball and be fancy and he loathes spending money on anyone who isn't technically gifted.

Only centre backs Wenger has spent biggish money on are Senderos, Vermaelen and Koscielny who came with a reputation of being able to play with the ball abit.

Vermaelen looks to have some potential, although I do think the old adage of 'absense makes the heart grow fonder' has come into play a little bit with him with Arsenal fans claiming he's the savior and the difference between a title. He was excellent in the opposition box, but pretty average at times when he had his first run in the team. Probably will mature into a good centre-half, but not the man-mountain he's made out to be.

But if you look at some of the CB's he's brought in: Djourou, Senderos, Cygan, Koscielny, Squillaci, Silvestre etc. it ain't pretty!

He was lucky to take over when they had the defence pretty much built for them.
http://www.twitter.com/jderbyshirebwfc

"Like putting a tiara on a shirehorse"

mrpiccollo
Promising
Promising

Post by mrpiccollo » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:53 am

seeings the subject is on arsenal ill add my 2 cents

arsenal for many years now have had possibly the best fullbacks in the prem the problem however is they have no big centre mid to be an enforcer and the centre backs and gk problems wont go untill they get a gk and cb pairing that complement each other theres no point having 2 ball playing cultured cb's till they sort the keeper aswell - a leader and someone who they know they can rely on at the back is what they need

they let campell go too soon and let gallas go too soon lets be honest he held that back 4 together

toure was allways the second man albeit a damn good second man in defence but after losing the pair of them they havent replaced with quality enough

they should buy samba and cahill and keep djouro and they will be set for centrebacks in the prem

they could still buy ali aswell that could work ^^

21 mil for ali and cahill sounds nice

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:02 pm

Where does Coyle go if we get to halfway through August and nobody has bid for him? It would be amazing if he did an "Anelka" and got a new deal signed that protected us further, but not sure if this one will pan out the same.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:04 pm

mrpiccollo wrote:seeings the subject is on arsenal ill add my 2 cents
it's not!!

Abs
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Abs » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:35 am

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 20,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I feel for Gary now

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:37 am

"Gary has been the subject of speculation every day, probably to the point he is frustrated by it," said the Bolton boss
Yeah....by you!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lofthouse Lower wrote:
thebish wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Besides, we need some cash for Cahill and Sturridge has been quoted at £20m - wouldn't a straight swap leave us too poor to rebuild?

hmmm... indeed - it would leave us with a shit-hot striker - and then padding out the rest with Bosmans and loans...
good sides have been built on less
Plus we'll have the money from Al Habsi's sale.

Shit hot striker and bosmans and loans? Sounds a bit Nicolas Anelka/ Gerald Cid to me.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:07 pm

Prufrock wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lofthouse Lower wrote:
thebish wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Besides, we need some cash for Cahill and Sturridge has been quoted at £20m - wouldn't a straight swap leave us too poor to rebuild?

hmmm... indeed - it would leave us with a shit-hot striker - and then padding out the rest with Bosmans and loans...
good sides have been built on less
Plus we'll have the money from Al Habsi's sale.

Shit hot striker and bosmans and loans? Sounds a bit Nicolas Anelka/ Gerald Cid to me.
That good? Europe hey...

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:04 am

As he not gone yet?

m_taylor
Promising
Promising

Post by m_taylor » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:07 am

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 88,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Coyle getting desperate?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:11 am

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfe ... 56414.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Article on the Cahill situation and indeed the general transfer situation. With quotes from Coyle. Seems to me that they are not so frustrated as not receiving a bid, but my suspicion is clubs are trying to unsettle Cahill and get him on the cheap and Coyle's not happy with that.

On transfers, clearly he is waiting for his top choices rather than settling for perhaps the SWP's and the Robbie Keane's of this world which to an extent is a relief. I suppose it all depends who is on "his list".

Oh and interesting to note that despite all the speculation this article claims (although not directly quoted) that we have NOT been offered Bendtner at all by Arsenal. My suspicion is that he probably would be very interested in that sort of a deal!

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:24 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfe ... 56414.html

Article on the Cahill situation and indeed the general transfer situation. With quotes from Coyle. Seems to me that they are not so frustrated as not receiving a bid, but my suspicion is clubs are trying to unsettle Cahill and get him on the cheap and Coyle's not happy with that.

On transfers, clearly he is waiting for his top choices rather than settling for perhaps the SWP's and the Robbie Keane's of this world which to an extent is a relief. I suppose it all depends who is on "his list".

Oh and interesting to note that despite all the speculation this article claims (although not directly quoted) that we have NOT been offered Bendtner at all by Arsenal. My FEAR is that he probably would be very interested in that sort of a deal!
Fixed 8)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:27 am

Lofthouse Lower wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfe ... 56414.html

Oh and interesting to note that despite all the speculation this article claims (although not directly quoted) that we have NOT been offered Bendtner at all by Arsenal. My FEAR is that he probably would be very interested in that sort of a deal!
Fixed 8)
Ha. I think Bendtner would either be an absolute flop, booed off the pitch regularly. Or a raving success who soon "outgrows" us. Not sure which to be honest. But I think were it up to me I'd take the risk. See whether Coyle's fabled man management skills could get the best out of him.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:28 am

I honestly have never ever ever ever seen anything to suggest the latter....

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:28 am

I'd also take the risk with Bendtner.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:46 am

Bendtner does have it in him to be a really good player I am quite sure. Whether he will ever fulfil that potential is a different matter...

Wenger has pretty much said he won't be showing his hand in the transfer market til end of the window so don't be holding your breath on that one...

Abs
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Abs » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:47 am

OWEN COYLE FURY OVER GARY CAHILL

ABOVE: Gary Cahill is desperate for his summer of frustration to end by joining Arsenal. I don’t want to lose Gary but the sooner something happens, one way or another, the better.
Owen Coyle
5th July 2011 By Neil Johnston
OWEN COYLE has told Arsenal to put up or shut up over £17m defender Gary Cahill.

England ace Gary Cahill is desperate for his summer of frustration to end by joining Arsenal.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger heads the queue for 25-year-old, ahead of Tottenham and Chelsea.

Bolton manager Owen Coyle does not want to lose his star man but he will not stand in his way, especially as the club stand to make a £12m profit after signing Cahill from Aston Villa for £5m in January 2008.

Coyle wants the saga over Cahill’s future to end after revealing the player had reported back for preseason training “frustrated” by the speculation.

Coyle said: “There has been various interest in Gary. Clubs have made their interest known but there have been no concrete bids.

“They are big clubs but it is up to them to back that up.

“I don’t want to lose Gary but the sooner something happens, one way or another, the better.”
------------------------------------------

I have never ever seen a situation like this. Arsenal have never come out and talked about Cahill, neither has Spurs. It seems everyday Coyle is coming to the media to advertise Cahill and he is coming across more and more desperate to sell him so he can get some money to spend

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:04 am

Doesn't sound very furious? :conf:

Indeed, if it's the conference shown on SSN I don't believe his tone shifted