Dougie Freedman - New Manager

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

shoot and score
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Dougie Freedman - New Manager

Post by shoot and score » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:57 pm

team for tomorrow? Same as last week?

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:41 pm

He has got off to a solid start.

I think that he will do well for us.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:42 pm

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:I've been more than happy with what he is clearly trying to do. He is in essence the anti coyle and that has to be a good thing. If he can do a similar job to what he did at Palace(and there's no reason to suspect he cant) he'll be a very good manager for us. Not sure about the chancer thing. He's looking at organisation and tryinging to build from the back. Certainly much more going on than fitness work. I also like the fact he has wise old uncle len alongside. I'd imagine it's a pretty equal partnership and LL has been a very good manager himself in the past tho clearly doesnt want the full responsibility of it anymore.

^^
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:04 am

Other than starting FKD instead of NGog, perm me a worse starting eleven out of this lot.

BWFC: Bogdan, Mears, Mills, Knight, Warnock, Ream, M Davies, Afobe, Pratley, Eagles, Ngog
BWFC Subs: Lynch, Andrews, K Davies, Ricketts, Spearing, Chung-Yong, Butterfield.

I gave Megson time - I was wrong,

I gave Coyle time - I was wrong.

This bloke's worrying me after 5 games.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:48 am

Wandering Willy wrote:Other than starting FKD instead of NGog, perm me a worse starting eleven out of this lot.

BWFC: Bogdan, Mears, Mills, Knight, Warnock, Ream, M Davies, Afobe, Pratley, Eagles, Ngog
BWFC Subs: Lynch, Andrews, K Davies, Ricketts, Spearing, Chung-Yong, Butterfield.

I gave Megson time - I was wrong,

I gave Coyle time - I was wrong.

This bloke's worrying me after 5 games.
aye, its worrying me too, they look like they know what sport football is now.

if he carnt even loose putting out a bonkers team away. then i'd suggest this dougie fella is the second coming of jesus.

#dougiecool

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:09 am

WE AIN'T GOING UP THIS SEASON

Short of an act of God that is.

Doogie ain't gonna pull this one off and TBH being he is another of Gartsides 'must haves' with some Coyle-esq tinkering, he is starting to worry me as well as a few others.
We are still leaking goals
We dont look much more of a threat up front
Our midfield is still getting bossed
I can hand on heart say we look only marginally more organised and our skill players are being side lined aka Megson cause they don't put in a shift!
Usually when a new team arrive to shake things up it puts an extra spring in the step of the players, okay they are talking the talk but not walking the walk so just what the hell is wrong at the Reebok?
I'm sorry and I know Gartside has his fans on here because of long time (history in football terms) acts with BSA and the manxman but the bloke is sitting on the decline of the club with his inabilty to make major desicions at the correct time and his judgement of what makes a decent manager is flawed to hell!!
The way the club is going nothing short of finding oil under the centre spot will add any value to the club let alone a block of empty offices.
Doogie may or may not deliver one day, lets hope he's not a one trick pony, we should have taken a leaf out of wet spams book end of last season, any compo Coyle and his mates would have got was small change to wining promotion this year, feckin' short sightedness thats all it was.

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:49 am

yep. agree with a lot of that
sacking Coyle when we did was an admission that promotion wont happen this season- despite the talk otherwise.
it is increasingly looking like the players brought in ( contrary to what those who claimed "all they need is organisation, picking in their correct positions,fitness, not bringing everyone back at free kicks/corners, better organisation at set pieces, play MD in the hole, 4-5-1 etc etc etc) are just not good enough. i think we should be looking over our shoulder rather than upwards.
"A child of five would understand this- send someone to fetch a child of five"

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:03 am

lovethesmellofnapalm wrote:yep. agree with a lot of that
sacking Coyle when we did was an admission that promotion wont happen this season- despite the talk otherwise.
it is increasingly looking like the players brought in ( contrary to what those who claimed "all they need is organisation, picking in their correct positions,fitness, not bringing everyone back at free kicks/corners, better organisation at set pieces, play MD in the hole, 4-5-1 etc etc etc) are just not good enough. i think we should be looking over our shoulder rather than upwards.
See that makes a lot of sense.
'cept that much like last season we didn't accept relegation until it was mathematically inevitable, neither should we accept non promotion this season until we have to for the same reason.
Businesswoman of the year.

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:28 am

... and in that case there is an argument to make that we should have kept Coyle until it was mathematically inevitable that promotion was out of the question having kept him on after relegation. they were HIS players, the buck stopped with him
it now becomes easy for the excuse to be made by DF and his apologists/supporters that the mess left by Coyle was too great, the players were too shite, etc etc.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:58 am

lovethesmellofnapalm wrote:... and in that case there is an argument to make that we should have kept Coyle until it was mathematically inevitable that promotion was out of the question having kept him on after relegation. they were HIS players, the buck stopped with him
it now becomes easy for the excuse to be made by DF and his apologists/supporters that the mess left by Coyle was too great, the players were too shite, etc etc.
So the players Coyle bought and the squad he assembled aren't good enough, but that can't be used as an excuse by the new manager?

Ok.......

:crazy:

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:04 am

CrazyHorse wrote:
lovethesmellofnapalm wrote:yep. agree with a lot of that
See that makes a lot of sense.
'cept that much like last season we didn't accept relegation until it was mathematically inevitable, neither should we accept non promotion this season until we have to for the same reason.

Blooming spot on
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:47 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
lovethesmellofnapalm wrote:... and in that case there is an argument to make that we should have kept Coyle until it was mathematically inevitable that promotion was out of the question having kept him on after relegation. they were HIS players, the buck stopped with him
So the players Coyle bought and the squad he assembled aren't good enough, but that can't be used as an excuse by the new manager?

Ok.......

I happen to think the 'rot' is at the top of the club! It's no mistake the crap we are in now has been overseen by Gartside and I'm not sure much will change till he goes. Sometime things just move on and people have to be changed.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:51 am

lovethesmellofnapalm wrote:sacking Coyle when we did was an admission that promotion wont happen this season- despite the talk otherwise.
Sacking him after 10 games was designed to give the new manager time to get us promoted this season. If not, then we might as well have left Jimmy Phillips in charge.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:54 am

BL3 wrote:
lovethesmellofnapalm wrote:sacking Coyle when we did was an admission that promotion wont happen this season- despite the talk otherwise.
Sacking him after 10 games was designed to give the new manager time to get us promoted this season. If not, then we might as well have left Jimmy Phillips in charge.
You know, I know, in fact half the world knows Coyle should have left after the Stoke game (Well before really)

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:04 pm

I'm not a STH and don't go that often but I went to Wembley and have seen plenty of dross since. There's less chance of us getting a 5-0 drubbing with Dougie, and more chance of picking up points, even when we're outplayed with Dougie. Can't fathom the negativity from some people.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Ok.......

it can be and it will be....

but doesn't contradict my point that many on here - including i suspect you though i cant be arsed going back over your posts- were firmly of the opinion that this squad WAS good enough and that it only needed a new (any new) manager to get the best out of them and win promotion.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:43 pm

lovethesmellofnapalm wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Ok.......

it can be and it will be....

but doesn't contradict my point that many on here - including i suspect you though i cant be arsed going back over your posts- were firmly of the opinion that this squad WAS good enough and that it only needed a new (any new) manager to get the best out of them and win promotion.
oh - BWFCi was the leading champion in the argument that the squad was head and shoulders above any other team in the division and anyone who raised the slightest doubt was deemed to be a raving idiot... all the team needed was someone who could organise them and a top-2 finish was the minimum requirement... it was that simple...

however - fair play - BWFCi has now publically changed his mind - as is his right...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:00 pm

thebish wrote: oh - BWFCi was the leading champion in the argument that the squad was head and shoulders above any other team in the division and anyone who raised the slightest doubt was deemed to be a raving idiot... all the team needed was someone who could organise them and a top-2 finish was the minimum requirement... it was that simple...

however - fair play - BWFCi has now publically changed his mind - as is his right...
After watching all the matches in the Championship last night (highlights of course) it's pretty obvious that there are some very useful teams in this division. To think we ever had any sort of aspirations of sailing it is nieve to say the least. Some hard work ahead of us to get anywhere near.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:31 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
thebish wrote: oh - BWFCi was the leading champion in the argument that the squad was head and shoulders above any other team in the division and anyone who raised the slightest doubt was deemed to be a raving idiot... all the team needed was someone who could organise them and a top-2 finish was the minimum requirement... it was that simple...

After watching all the matches in the Championship last night (highlights of course) it's pretty obvious that there are some very useful teams in this division. To think we ever had any sort of aspirations of sailing it is nieve to say the least. Some hard work ahead of us to get anywhere near.
There are some pretty useful teams in this division. Most of them, probably with nowhere near our wage budget. Only problem is, it'll be January before Freedman can try and put that budget to better use.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:29 pm

Just out of interest, does any squad in the Championship have more internationals than we do?

We have Bogdan, Mears, Ream, Andrews, Petrov, Knight, Warnock, Davies, Ricketts, Holden and Chungy who are all internationals. There must be well over 200 caps between those lot, not to mention players like N'Gog, Alonso and others who played at a youth level for their countries.

I don't buy the argument that this isn't a quality squad at all. Players underperforming doesn't mean they're not any good. We have a better squad than Palace, which is why Freedman came to us, and look at how well their inferior players are doing compared to ours.

There are many issues behind the lack of performance but sheer quality is not one of them.