Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:44 am

I've seen him interviewed in English. It was a bit rough, but he clearly understood questions.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:48 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:30 am
He did speak a bit of English in the video I linked above, when he was Bundesliga player of the week in November 2014.

If it is Wheater barking at him, no English class could teach him to understand that :)
:lol: Needs a crash course in Angry Scarecrow with Worzel Gummidge!
What could've happened; did.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:12 pm

Anyone know who the Polish keeper "Konrad" who played for the reserves is? Some mention it might be Filip Bednarek, who would be another coup if we got him, given his form last season in Holland. Anyone actually know, or go to the game?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:01 pm

Peterborough reported to be in for Wyke.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:03 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:01 pm
Peterborough reported to be in for Wyke.
Peterborough United have made a bid in the region of £500,000 for Charlie Wyke, according to The Bradford Telegraph and Argus.
But in better news:
Millwall and Birmingham City are lining up moves for goalkeeper Ben Amos from Championship rivals Bolton Wanderers, HITC Sport understands from sources close to the club.

Brummies embargo means they can't buy players (such as Ipswich's Bialkowski) doesn't it?

Also won't they have a wages restriction (IIRC DSB said $10K GBP per week?... Leaving us in the lurch stuck with half of his contract still... A full player's worth.
Last season's loan, someone was saying Charlton only paid $4K of the $16-20K (that takes to make a million per year)

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:58 am

ADIOS AMOS: Millwall have taken our millstone off our hands/neck on a year long loan.

How much of his million dollar bill are they paying?

Don't know, didn't say.
Last year Charlton paid 4Kpw and Birmingham would have been limited to 10Kpw so hopefully more than that.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:30 am

Perhaps we'll see "Konrad" get a deal then.

Also, if Amos' wage is being offloaded (or most of it) to another club then a cash deal for a forward becomes more likely. Amos going would free up enough to pay a player our new "standard" wage and spend about half a million on him.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:38 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:30 am
Perhaps we'll see "Konrad" get a deal then.

Also, if Amos' wage is being offloaded (or most of it) to another club then a cash deal for a forward becomes more likely. Amos going would free up enough to pay a player our new "standard" wage and spend about half a million on him.
I Wyke what you're implying...

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:02 am

Available squad after Amos vamos to Millwall. Untried and young in italics

GK: Alnwick, Turner
CB: Wheater, Beevers, Liam Edwards, Harry Brockbank
RB: Olki, Little, Darby, Chiori
LB: Taylor, Muscatt
DM: Lowe, Earring
AM: Oztumer, Vela, Pritchard,
RW: SAmeobi, Noone
LW: Will Buckley, Noone, Duke McKenna, Dennis Politic
ST: ALF, Conor Hall,
TS: Donaldson

Need Parky's Magnificent Seven to ride to our rescue by my reckoning. In order of priority CB, TS, DM, LW, LB, GK, AM

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:10 am

I'd say the most pressing positions are left back, stiker and central midfield. They're all vital - centre back, striker, wingers etc but we know Taylor isn't good enough and he's our only option there unless we play someone out of position. To make the whole system work I think we need someone in midfield who can pass a football accurately over 30-40 yards and a striker who can be relied upon to play on his own and get us up the field. I think we'll probably go into next season with Lowe, Vela and Ozzy as the starting 3...but we'll lack the ability to get in behind teams if we do.

Decent players in so far, but they need to get better. We're at least targeting the right calibre of players.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:17 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:10 am
I'd say the most pressing positions are left back, stiker and central midfield. They're all vital - centre back, striker, wingers etc but we know Taylor isn't good enough and he's our only option there unless we play someone out of position. To make the whole system work I think we need someone in midfield who can pass a football accurately over 30-40 yards and a striker who can be relied upon to play on his own and get us up the field. I think we'll probably go into next season with Lowe, Vela and Ozzy as the starting 3...but we'll lack the ability to get in behind teams if we do.

Decent players in so far, but they need to get better. We're at least targeting the right calibre of players.
We need a holding midfield player. Top priority. Because as you say we are lacking numbers in there. Also a centre back, left back and ideally a striker.

In terms of impact a striker who bangs goals in for fun would be best BUT they cost money. Midfield looks incredibly light, in fact squad generally is tiny considering we're a few weeks out.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:49 am

Surely Parky sees Lowe as the holding midfielder.

I can see the arguments for all these "priority" positions but at the moment we have two senior centre-backs and one of them has a history of injuries.

Plus of course priorities are shifted by availability. You simply can't shop in the order you want to ("OK, now let's get a left-winger") because players don't become available and affordable just to suit your needs. I doubt right-back was anywhere near the top of PP's urgency list but if a good one becomes available within a projected/guessed budget for what we'd have left to spend on one when taking into account what we're aiming to spend on others, then that's fine by me.

What's more of an issue is if those budgets suddenly shift. Parky can't have slept easily when the players weren't paid. Frankly if you can f*ck your players like that then you're quite likely to f*ck your manager too.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:56 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:49 am
Surely Parky sees Lowe as the holding midfielder.

I can see the arguments for all these "priority" positions but at the moment we have two senior centre-backs and one of them has a history of injuries.

Plus of course priorities are shifted by availability. You simply can't shop in the order you want to ("OK, now let's get a left-winger") because players don't become available and affordable just to suit your needs. I doubt right-back was anywhere near the top of PP's urgency list but if a good one becomes available within a projected/guessed budget for what we'd have left to spend on one when taking into account what we're aiming to spend on others, then that's fine by me.

What's more of an issue is if those budgets suddenly shift. Parky can't have slept easily when the players weren't paid. Frankly if you can f*ck your players like that then you're quite likely to f*ck your manager too.
The? Last season we had Pratley, Henry (remember what happened before he came), Derik who all played there. Burke also played a game or two there.

Now we have Lowe. That is it. Need at least one other Lowe type and probably a runner to replace Karacan too.

CB also critical.

I agree we can't dictate order but basically there is a lot to do.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:00 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:49 am

Quite! And as I alluded to in the other thread there is a lot of pressure on Ken to trim as much off the wage bill as possible.

With Wheavers as our main CB's we are in 70-80 goals conceded territory for the season imho. That is relegation material. We desperately need more athletic central defenders. Being 6ft5 and 6ft4 and static gets you nowhere in the Championship.

It is highly unlikely that Parky will suddenly play a short passing style so we really desperately need a target man. Otherwise I don't know how we get up the pitch. And we need more central midfielders desperately also. Right now only Lowe is a tried and tested deeper midifelder, and he is probably bottom six Championship level. As Ghost said we are attracting some decent player,s, so I hope Ken is true to his word when he says more are joining next week.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:09 am

We're miles away on numbers. At least we're saving a couple of weeks of wages though...
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:23 pm

New links are Jack Hobbs and Raul de Tomas. Both quality players. Could be something or nothing and Hobbs has prior with injuries. Then again, if he didn't he'd be playing in the Prem.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:32 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:23 pm
New links are Jack Hobbs and Raul de Tomas. Both quality players. Could be something or nothing and Hobbs has prior with injuries. Then again, if he didn't he'd be playing in the Prem.
Not keen on Hobbs. Forest fans say he was a permacrock. Waste of space. Not what we need.

No idea who the other guy is, only that I'm suspicious of signing players who play in lower Spanish leagues...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:14 pm

Hobbs isn't what I wanted, but beggars can't be choosers. If he shows up then hopefully he can find fitness and if fit he's a player.

RdT has had two excellent seasons in the Spanish second division and I doubt we could do better. Looks like we've a couple of options and it'll be down to what the best financial option is. PP said the striking options are now down to Ken, who is working with a couple of clubs and PP will basically wait to see who shows up. Sounds like he's a bit more hands-on with the free agents and may be casting his eye over some.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:40 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:14 pm
Hobbs isn't what I wanted, but beggars can't be choosers. If he shows up then hopefully he can find fitness and if fit he's a player.

RdT has had two excellent seasons in the Spanish second division and I doubt we could do better. Looks like we've a couple of options and it'll be down to what the best financial option is. PP said the striking options are now down to Ken, who is working with a couple of clubs and PP will basically wait to see who shows up. Sounds like he's a bit more hands-on with the free agents and may be casting his eye over some.
Given our signings to date I'd say we're a little better than beggars.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:02 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:23 pm
We looked at Hobbs a month ago didn't we? Doesn't add much different from Wheavers when fit. Little quicker.

RdT got a lot of backpost tap-ins on the end of quality crosses or from average shots against mucho trashiass League 2 level keepers. Neither of which playing for Bolton will replicate. And he looks like a cross between Gazza and chipmunk Ronaldo - more in the build and teeth than the quality.