Where are they now? - Michael Ricketts

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:38 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Leyther_Matt wrote:
Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:PMSL, I love the way they come out with that. He played one frendly and was shit!
Wasn't he played hopelessly out of position for 45 minutes and then brought off? Huge waste of talent but all of his own (and his agent's) doing.
ISTR he was up front in a 4-3-3...
He was. It was then that I started calling him Bambi, the poor deer. (see what I did there? I took the sting away from my 'which is it?' gag)

8)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:53 pm

Getting turned down over fitness concerns after a trial at Stockport.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:04 pm

He must have a cracking DVD of his goals with us to keep getting these trials!
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:32 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Getting turned down over fitness concerns after a trial at Stockport.
"We need a fit Michael Ricketts to be doing his stuff on the pitch and unfortunately when we weighed it all up we thought we might not get Michael on the pitch and to the standard we require

A little impersonal, no? :shock:

I was at Stockport when we played them away in the first round of the Rumbellows in about 2002.

Now then, I'm open to correction here, but this is my memory of it:

It was the game before Ricketts was due to leave to meet up with the England squad ahead of his game against Holland. Ricketts was on the bench and, getting towards the end of the game, we were coasting at either 3-0 or 3-1.
All of a sudden, quite inexplicably and against the better wishes of the travelling supporters, BSA decided to bring Ricketts on.
Within a minute or two of him coming on, Ricketts collected the ball out on the right, brought it in along Stockport's 18 yard line, then launched an absolute beauty with his left-foot, across the face of goal and into the far-side top-corner. Hurrah, what did we know?
May the bridges I burn light your way

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:14 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Getting turned down over fitness concerns after a trial at Stockport.
"We need a fit Michael Ricketts to be doing his stuff on the pitch and unfortunately when we weighed it all up we thought we might not get Michael on the pitch and to the standard we require

A little impersonal, no? :shock:

I was at Stockport when we played them away in the first round of the Rumbellows in about 2002.

Now then, I'm open to correction here, but this is my memory of it:

It was the game before Ricketts was due to leave to meet up with the England squad ahead of his game against Holland. Ricketts was on the bench and, getting towards the end of the game, we were coasting at either 3-0 or 3-1.
All of a sudden, quite inexplicably and against the better wishes of the travelling supporters, BSA decided to bring Ricketts on.
Within a minute or two of him coming on, Ricketts collected the ball out on the right, brought it in along Stockport's 18 yard line, then launched an absolute beauty with his left-foot, across the face of goal and into the far-side top-corner. Hurrah, what did we know?
If he hadn't got such a fat head(sic) he could have been one of the best strikers we had. All the potential in the world
Pfffft.

minibus
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by minibus » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:31 pm

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:24 pm

minibus wrote:No comment required...
There is. He's still only 31. Only 40,000,000 of us, or so, would love to play even two minutes in any one professional game.
What an absolute c*nt!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:32 pm

Such talent, such talent...a waste. There isn't a striker i've seen since him who i would trust more in a 1-on-1 situation. what could have been...
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:36 pm

Aye, such a waste.

And to think we came within an ace (or a Barry Knight, depending how you look at it) of having him and Eidurgur up front together. And those who saw them both in their prime for The Wanderers realise how f*ckin amazing that would have been, not how absurd that might now sound.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:11 am

Lord Kangana wrote:Aye, such a waste.

And to think we came within an ace (or a Barry Knight, depending how you look at it) of having him and Eidurgur up front together. And those who saw them both in their prime for The Wanderers realise how f*ckin amazing that would have been, not how absurd that might now sound.
One career just thrown into god knows what waste bin, nor why.

The other - well he played for a great club (and chelsea and barcelona) - but i still feel never fully realised his potential... being drunk and abusive at heathrow and chickening out of playing in israel didn't impress, eidur!

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:04 am

William the White wrote:

The other - well he played for a great club (and chelsea and barcelona) - but i still feel never fully realised his potential... being drunk and abusive at heathrow and chickening out of playing in israel didn't impress, eidur!
Two players who's heads were bigger than their brains, one vanished into oblivion whilst the other vanished onto the subs bench! So sad to see, when they could have been such legends if they had stayed at Bolton.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:46 am

feck him.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:02 am

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:feck him.
A deep & thorough analysis.

Well argued. It's certainly pursuaded me.
Last edited by bobo the clown on Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:09 am

FaninOz wrote:
William the White wrote:

Two players who's heads were bigger than their brains, one vanished into oblivion whilst the other vanished onto the subs bench! So sad to see, when they could have been such legends if they had stayed at Bolton.
One played for both Barcelona and Chelsea. I'm not convinced that being offered legendary status at Bolton would have stopped that. You know, in the real world.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:01 pm

Verbal wrote:Such talent, such talent...a waste. There isn't a striker i've seen since him who i would trust more in a 1-on-1 situation. what could have been...
I'd rather have Anelka, but he's the only one. England turned his head. Never the same afterwards.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

klasnic17
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by klasnic17 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:38 pm

hes on a free??? coyle get in there sign him up :mrgreen:

Rip
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rip » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:56 pm

My grandad said that in all his years of watching the Wanderers, he never saw anyone score a bigger and more varied selection of quality goals than Michael Ricketts. I remember when he was being touted for teams such as Tottenham, in moves worth £10m and of course for England, which is when it all went downhill.

The other problem, apart from him believing his own hype, was the fact that he was apparently a major bad influence in the dressing room and was beginning to lead others, like Nolan, astray. Naturally, he had to go but his last gift to Bolton, after a long period of mediocrity, was moving for enough money for Sam to sign two decent players in his stead.

palexjones
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palexjones » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:30 pm

Sad story really, could'nt keep his face out of the pies or his head on his priviliged well paid job silly b@stard and he nearly dragged Nolan down with him. The end of his time at Bolton coincided with Nolans first dip in form. I think they were sharing a flat at the time....
What a waste and reading this thread has never learned. I wish him no ill will though he scored some brillient goals and sent me home happy from many matches and we mugged Boro for 3,5 mill for an evaporating talent
I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different. KURT VONNEGUT (1922-2007)

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:36 pm

I'm struggling to think of another player who has been on such a staggering decline for seemingly no reason.

Damn shame.
Viva La Portable Radio!

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:58 pm

mofgimmers wrote:I'm struggling to think of another player who has been on such a staggering decline for seemingly no reason.
neil webb ?