Where are they now? - Michael Ricketts

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Where are they now? - Michael Ricketts

Post by sluffy » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:36 pm

How the mighty have fallen.

The biggest waste of a career during my 40 plus years of following the Wanderers.

He is now at Oldham who are in the 'old' division 3.

Former England international Michael Ricketts becomes John Sheridan's latest signing when he became available on a free transfer after leaving Championship team Preston North End. Ricketts, who is 28, made his name with Bolton Wanderers as he helped Sam Allardyce's team win promotion in the 2000-01 season notching in with an impressive 24 goals. He had also hit fifteen goals in the Premier League before the then England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson awarded him a full International cap. He appeared in the friendly against Holland in February 2002.

Ricketts then made a £3.5million move to Middlesbrough before a spell alongside Sean Gregan at Leeds United. His next move took him to Preston which was followed by a short stint at Southend United. The deal will tie Ricketts, who will take the number seven shirt, to Boundary Park until 2010.

http://www.oldhamathletic-mad.co.uk/new ... &id=343216

....and confirmed by the official site -

http://www.oldhamathletic.premiumtv.co. ... 34,00.html

NB - note who Oldham's manager is - two Where are they now's for the price of one!

Ricketts Bolton Stats -

Powerful striker with a natural ability for scoring goals. One time England cap Ricketts helped Bolton reach the Premiership with twenty three goals in season 2000-2001 and his form in front of goal during the following campaign helped the club retain their place in the top flight.

Full Name: Michael Barrington Ricketts

Born: 4th December 1978, Birmingham, Midlands, England

Position: Forward

Nationality: English

International Honours: Full level

Club Honours: Carling Cup 2004

Signed From: Walsall, July 2000, £400,000

Sold To: Middlesbrough, January 2003, £3,500,000

Former Clubs: Walsall, Bolton Wanderers, Middlesbrough, Stoke City (loan), Leeds United, Cardiff City (loan), Burnley (loan), Southend United, Preston North End, Oldham Athletic

Bolton Debut: 26th August 2000 versus Preston North End (H), Division 1

First Goal: 26th August 2000 versus Preston North End (H), Division 1

With thanks to the Manny Road site for the details -

http://www.thefootballnetwork.net/main/s474/st80524.htm

Thanks for the good times Micheal.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:49 pm

sure he's at oldham and not just the pie shop again?
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:11 pm

Think there's a typo..

should it not read Ricketts who is 28 stone ?

What a waste of a once promising career..
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:19 pm

total wanker

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:22 pm

communistworkethic wrote:total wanker
yeah I kind of hate him and pity him all at the same time...

could have had the lot and was just too thick and greedy to spot when he was well off.....
deserved all he's had since but I can't help wondering what might have been?

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:22 am

Pity him a lot, biggest waste of talent I've seen in a bolton shirt, and in my time watching football I thuink only collymore stands out as a bigger waste, he was slightly better that ricketts but none-the-less, both wasted the talents they had!
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:33 am

flabby bastard
Businesswoman of the year.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:34 am

wasn't going to read this thread but just had to come on and...

<snigger>

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:01 am

He did give us a few moments of happiness too though.....

"Bolton recorded a famous victory over Manchester United at Old Trafford as the Premiership champions slumped to their second home defeat in a week.

Sam Allardyce was given the perfect birthday present as Michael Ricketts and Kevin Nolan scored the goals to give Bolton all three points."

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:41 pm

Absolutely right gave us great joy and looked like class.. :pray:
Then he went all Bertie big Spuds and started to believe his own press clippings instead of paying attention to the people who had got him where he was..
Then took his talent and pissed it up the wall great shame..
But at the end of the day the blokes a Cock..

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:54 pm

He was never the same after Sven had shagged him. :oops:
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:36 pm

Also known as Hugh Briss.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:25 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Also known as Hugh Briss.
Went before a fall, did he?
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

NumptyNumbNuts
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by NumptyNumbNuts » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:35 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote:Pity him a lot, biggest waste of talent I've seen in a bolton shirt, and in my time watching football I thuink only collymore stands out as a bigger waste, he was slightly better that ricketts but none-the-less, both wasted the talents they had!
Good comparison that DLH, Collymore could be absolutely amazing when he fancied it and a complete NobRot when he didn't.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:54 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote:Pity him a lot, biggest waste of talent I've seen in a bolton shirt, and in my time watching football I thuink only collymore stands out as a bigger waste, he was slightly better that ricketts but none-the-less, both wasted the talents they had!
I know a 50 year old housewife in Dudley with a van that says otherwise.

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:13 pm

A huge waste of talent, Ricketts could have served us very well if he had stuck his game instead of believing all the hype around him. Then again, I suppose at least the hype was justified for a while. Wanker either way, mind, and somewhat amusing to see him plummet down the leagues.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:18 pm

Courtesy of wiki...
On June 30, 2006 Ricketts signed a two-year deal with Championship side Southend United with an option to extend for another year. There was no fee involved although depending on clauses in the contract Leeds may receive a fee in the future. Another clause in his contract states that he is prohibited from playing against Leeds United in upcoming League and Cup matches. However after only a couple of months into the new season, Southend released Ricketts on the basis that he was overweight and had put on weight since joining the club, questioning his level of fitness.
Absolute waste. Dont think i have ever been as confident in a striker to score on 1 on 1's than owd Ricketts in a Bolton shirt. Had it all before he saw the bright lights, walked toward them and was instantly blinded. What may have been...
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:20 pm

Verbal wrote:Courtesy of wiki...
On June 30, 2006 Ricketts signed a two-year deal with Championship side Southend United with an option to extend for another year. There was no fee involved although depending on clauses in the contract Leeds may receive a fee in the future. Another clause in his contract states that he is prohibited from playing against Leeds United in upcoming League and Cup matches. However after only a couple of months into the new season, Southend released Ricketts on the basis that he was overweight and had put on weight since joining the club, questioning his level of fitness.
Absolute waste. Dont think i have ever been as confident in a striker to score on 1 on 1's than owd Ricketts in a Bolton shirt. Had it all before he saw the bright lights, walked toward them and was instantly blinded. What may have been...
Fair shout - his first goal against Preston (unbelievable pace to race on to it in the first place I recall?) along with the aforemetioned goal at Old Trafford immediately spring to mind, along with one in the Leicester 5-0 and at home to Newcastle.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:22 pm

I cant believe Oldham have given him a 3 year contract. Its no wonder teams in the lower divisions are skint if they offer him a contract that long after the last 5 seasons he's had. How many goals has he scored since he left us?

£10 says Oldham will be looking for a mutual termination by Xmas :crazy:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:37 pm

Him and newly-freed Lee Hughes up front. If it works, they won't miss Chris Porter at all. If it doesn't...