Squad size / appearances

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Squad size / appearances

Post by bw@bw » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:03 pm

If LSL has his way we will soon have a first team squad of 30.

If I was clever enough to drop a spreadsheet into this system I would start a Prediction game

Based on - how many appearances will each player make next season?

After all we can only have 11 starters and 3 subs in each match.

Since I can't do the spreadsheet thing here - I will start by saying that I reckon at least 10 of our squad will make less than 10 appearances.

Which begs the question - are we wasting our money on their wages ?

If anyone can drop a spreadsheet, or even a full squad list into here I will happily keep tabs on it

(where is Samhater when you need him?)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:23 pm

There's talk of a new ongoing prediction game - predicting the starting XI before each Wanderers match. Just so you know. Your idea is a different kind of fun...

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:38 pm

we used one of the smallest first team squads last year and at times it was very stretched - TBH, Peds at LB. Campo RB. That game at the end of the season with no strikers. with europe and ACN in the same season we need the extra manpower for sure

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Squad size / appearances

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:40 pm

bw@bw wrote:If LSL has his way we will soon have a first team squad of 30.

If I was clever enough to drop a spreadsheet into this system I would start a Prediction game

Since I can't do the spreadsheet thing here - I will start by saying that I reckon at least 10 of our squad will make less than 10 appearances.

If anyone can drop a spreadsheet, or even a full squad list into here I will happily keep tabs on it

Don't forget we're in three cups next season. Plus there are always going to be injured. I personally don't think that having a squad of that size is a waste of wage money myself. Good suggestion though.
Businesswoman of the year.

Trotski
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Trotski » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:15 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:

Don't forget we're in three cups next season. Plus there are always going to be injured. I personally don't think that having a squad of that size is a waste of wage money myself. Good suggestion though.
Good point. Instead of piling on the squad players - especially those that cost money -we should save money for actual improvements of the first 11. A better fifth choice striker or fourth choice centrehalf will add next to nothing. First choice players. Please!
Oh coitus!

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:17 pm

Trotski wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:

Good point. Instead of piling on the squad players - especially those that cost money -we should save money for actual improvements of the first 11. A better fifth choice striker or fourth choice centrehalf will add next to nothing. First choice players. Please!
Find us these elusive better players then.

Good luck finding better than Diouf, Davies, Anelka, Nolan, Faye, Meite, Cid, Jussi, Andranik, Michalik, Samuel, etc. within our budget.

Trotski
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Trotski » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:29 pm

Daxter wrote:
Trotski wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:

Good luck finding better than Diouf, Davies, Anelka, Nolan, Faye, Meite, Cid, Jussi, Andranik,Michalik, Samuel within our budget.
Our budget is bigger than ever. We did find our current players, right? And at way lower prices than our current budget allow us.

So gimme a break. They're out there.

We've got a squad of 30!! players. Why the hell sign mediocre players because we can? We don't need those. We've got them already.

Until a real improvement shows I'd much rather stick to the current squad.
Oh coitus!

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:35 pm

Trotski wrote:
Daxter wrote:
Trotski wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:

Good luck finding better than Diouf, Davies, Anelka, Nolan, Faye, Meite, Cid, Jussi, Andranik,Michalik, Samuel within our budget.
Our budget is bigger than ever. We did find our current players, right? And at way lower prices than our current budget allow us.

We've got a squad of 30!! players. Why the hell sign mediocre players because we can? We don't need those. We've got them already.

Your the one calling them mediocre. I'd beg to differ having seen them play.

We've strengthened the midfield because Campo and Speed are probably going to have their last season.

We've brought in Cid who may well turn out to be 'better' than what we've got.

We signed Samuel because he was a bargain for the quality he has and because we needed a left back.

We've signed Helgusson because he provides PROVEN back up for Davo.

What's so hard to understand?

The first eleven we already have is very strong and will likely benefit from the change of style, tactics and approach. You talk as though are squad needs a drastic overhaul because it isn't good enough.

What we are doing is strengthening the squad because we are taking part in four competitions. It's common sense.
Last edited by Daxter on Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:39 pm

good god trotski, has nobody ever explained squad rotation to you?

fact is the back up to the first xi is looking much better compared to last season and that could be vital to us

Trotski
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Trotski » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:53 pm

Daxter wrote:
Trotski wrote:
Daxter wrote:
Trotski wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote: Don't forget we're in three cups next season. Plus there are always going to be injured. I personally don't think that having a squad of that size is a waste of wage money myself. Good suggestion though.

We've strengthened the midfield because Campo and Speed are probably going to have their last season.

We signed Samuel because he was a bargain for the quality he has and because we needed a left back.

The first eleven we already have is very strong and will likely benefit to the change of style, tactics and approach. You talk as though are squad needs a drastic overhaul because it isn't good enough.

What we are doing is strengthening the squad because we are taking part in four competitions. It's common sense.
Obviously reading isn't your strong point. I never said the squad needs a drastic overhaul. It's the opposite . The squad is quite strong, so no need to bring in mediocre players like Helguson. We've got plenty players already. What did he prove anyway? Enough to make the Fulham supporters think they did a shrewd bit of business anyway.

As for Wilhelmsson he may have had a good half in the world cup, but I've watched him for years (and i dare say: You haven't). He's was not a regular with Nantes, he's not a regular with Sweden an why is that?

It couldn't be a lack of quality, cos Daxter's seen him play and he's the shit! It's just that between the immense speed of 35 y.o. Alexandersson, the technical genious of Mattias Jonsson, once of the mighty Canaries, and the phisical presence of Anders Svesson 'the Enforcer' there's just not room for him. Ronaldinho wouldn't get into that side!
Oh coitus!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:58 pm

James B wrote:good god trotski, has nobody ever explained squad rotation to you?

fact is the back up to the first xi is looking much better compared to last season and that could be vital to us
I kind of understand what he's saying, its okay strengthening the squad, but to move forward and push on you have to improve the quality of your first 11, which is what everybody else seems to be doing
Last edited by boltonboris on Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:04 pm

Trotski wrote:
Daxter wrote:
Trotski wrote:
Daxter wrote:
Trotski wrote: Good point. Instead of piling on the squad players - especially those that cost money -we should save money for actual improvements of the first 11. A better fifth choice striker or fourth choice centrehalf will add next to nothing. First choice players. Please!

The first eleven we already have is very strong and will likely benefit to the change of style, tactics and approach. You talk as though are squad needs a drastic overhaul because it isn't good enough.

Obviously reading isn't your strong point. I never said the squad needs a drastic overhaul. It's the opposite . The squad is quite strong, so no need to bring in mediocre players like Helguson. We've got plenty players already. What did he prove anyway? Enough to make the Fulham supporters think they did a shrewd bit of business anyway.

As for Wilhelmsson he may have had a good half in the world cup, but I've watched him for years (and i dare say: You haven't). He's was not a regular with Nantes, he's not a regular with Sweden an why is that?

It couldn't be a lack of quality, cos Daxter's seen him play and he's the shit! It's just that between the immense speed of 35 y.o. Alexandersson, the technical genious of Mattias Jonsson, once of the mighty Canaries, and the phisical presence of Anders Svesson 'the Enforcer' there's just not room for him. Ronaldinho wouldn't get into that side!
:crazy:

Where in the post that you quoted, did I say anything about Wilhelmsson? Maybe reading is not your strong point?

And you still haven't named these mystery players who are better than what we've got, available and with in our budget.

Spartan
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Spartan » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:07 pm

I agree with Trotski improve the XI, not the squad. Daxter its foolish to think that there is no-one available for a reported 10M who will improve our team. And Trotski doesn't have to name them at all, i can't name many aftershaves but i know if i wanted some there would be some within my budget.
Nach dem Spiel ist vor dem Spiel.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:14 pm

Spartan wrote:I agree with Trotski improve the XI, not the squad. Daxter its foolish to think that there is no-one available for a reported 10M who will improve our team. And Trotski doesn't have to name them at all, i can't name many aftershaves but i know if i wanted some there would be some within my budget.
Really bad analogy. Aftershave is mass produced; there are 100 million bottles of Old Spice in the world but there is only one Wayne Rooney.
Businesswoman of the year.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:16 pm

Spartan wrote:I agree with Trotski improve the XI, not the squad. Daxter its foolish to think that there is no-one available for a reported 10M who will improve our team. And Trotski doesn't have to name them at all, i can't name many aftershaves but i know if i wanted some there would be some within my budget.
I think we needed to do both. Improve the depth of the squad certainly - we were found to be desparately shorth of depth last year. A couple of good additions to the XI would be more than acceptable too. Let's assume we had £10m to spend. We've done in £3.2 and I don't disbelieve that we're bidding for Wilhelmsson at about £2m. That leaves £4.8, which is less than we were reported to be offering for Cisse (and indeed we wouldn't even get Micheal Chopra for)

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:20 pm

I too would like to see a big name come this summer, but I'd rather Sammy focus on depth than focus on one huge signing at the expense of every other position. See: Anelka, Summer 2006.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:21 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:I too would like to see a big name come this summer, but I'd rather Sammy focus on depth than focus on one huge signing at the expense of every other position. See: Anelka, Summer 2006.
Yeah, Anelka was never worth 8 million... :roll:

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:30 pm

boltonboris wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:I too would like to see a big name come this summer, but I'd rather Sammy focus on depth than focus on one huge signing at the expense of every other position. See: Anelka, Summer 2006.
That's not what I said. The problem was not signing Anelka (which was excellent), it was failing to sign anyone else.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:32 pm

boltonboris wrote:
:crazy: read the post. he never said that.

Spartan
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Spartan » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:37 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
Really bad analogy. Aftershave is mass produced; there are 100 million bottles of Old Spice in the world but there is only one Wayne Rooney.
There is indeed only one Wayne Rooney, there is in that sense only one bottle of old spice [the sense of this particular bottle in question] There are of course millions of different bottles of Old Spice and aftershaves but there are also 100's of different football players [not just one] who meet the requirement of being available for <10M and having the quality of being better than at least one of our present XI.

If you want to quibble over the analogy having a variation in quantity of available goods [100's compared to millions] i could just as easily quibble over there being a variation in the number of buyers [100's of football clubs compared to millions of consumers]. But this is nothing like the point, i'll grant you my analogy was bad in the sense that it didn't easily convey its message.

The point is simple every single year we and everyone else in the premiership buy some players who improve their respective XI, why suddenly now, this season, would that trend be any different? I have no reason at all to suspect that this trend will cease to occur despite the fact that i do not know who the players are.
Last edited by Spartan on Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nach dem Spiel ist vor dem Spiel.