Squad size / appearances

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:37 pm

It sounds to me as though he's having a whinge about us spending the money on one player

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:01 pm

Hardly. I don't care that we spent the bulk of our transfer budget on Nic. The point I'm raising is that Allardyce was so focused on bringing in a big name striker that he ignored all of the other positions. A brilliant forward's work can be easily undone when you're playing Campo and Pedersen at fullback. Sammy has signed a large number of players this season and still (if rumors are to be believed) has enough money to purchase another Anelka.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:14 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:Hardly. I don't care that we spent the bulk of our transfer budget on Nic. The point I'm raising is that Allardyce was so focused on bringing in a big name striker that he ignored all of the other positions. A brilliant forward's work can be easily undone when you're playing Campo and Pedersen at fullback. Sammy has signed a large number of players this season and still (if rumors are to be believed) has enough money to purchase another Anelka.
you've half won me round there, that makes a lot of sense

Trotski
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Trotski » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:19 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:I too would like to see a big name come this summer, but I'd rather Sammy focus on depth than focus on one huge signing at the expense of every other position. See: Anelka, Summer 2006.
I tend to agree, but we've signed 8 players this year, all squad players - and got O'Brien back from injury. We've lost five players - three of which were actually chosen for the first team once in a while.

We're potentially six first team squad players up on last year. Surely we should look to the first team now - or start weeding out some of the fringe players.

A squad of 30+ will be dangerous. It's vey expensive for one - and there's the possibility of unrest when players aren't getting any games. We've got something like 28 now.
Oh coitus!

Trotski
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Trotski » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:23 pm

Trotski wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:I too would like to see a big name come this summer, but I'd rather Sammy focus on depth than focus on one huge signing at the expense of every other position. See: Anelka, Summer 2006.
I tend to agree, but we've signed 8 players this year, all squad players - and got O'Brien back from injury. We've lost five players - three of which were actually chosen for the first team once in a while.

We're potentially six first team squad players up on last year. Surely we should look to the first team now - or start weeding out some of the fringe players.

A squad of 30+ will be dangerous. It's vey expensive for one - and there's the possibility of unrest when players aren't getting any games. We've got something like 28 now.
I've just checked: ManUre has a 22 man squad. But they DO play way less games than us. Errh?
Oh coitus!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:27 pm

Trotski wrote:
Trotski wrote:

I've just checked: ManUre has a 22 man squad. But they DO play way less games than us. Errh?
Their official site shows 29 players....

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:27 pm

Trotski wrote:
Trotski wrote:

man utd were very lucky with injuries last season, they only had one wobble
chelsea had a similar sized squad and were largely buggered with injuries

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:31 pm

Trotski wrote:I've just checked: ManUre has a 22 man squad. But they DO play way less games than us. Errh?
27, and that's leaving out a couple of players who could very well appear for their first xi at somepoint over the course next season and tevez

but let's not let facts get in the way here eh?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:39 pm

James B wrote:
Trotski wrote:I've just checked: ManUre has a 22 man squad. But they DO play way less games than us. Errh?
27, and that's leaving out a couple of players who could very well appear for their first xi at somepoint over the course next season and tevez

You can count the pictures on the site - it equals 29 I think. They also have 15 in the reserves totalling 44, which I think is the maximum you can register at the start of the season.

Bolton's "First Team" shows 35 (which I think we have to take Idan Tal off) so 34, which I think includes most, if not all, of our Reserves...

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:49 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
James B wrote:

You can count the pictures on the site - it equals 29 I think. They also have 15 in the reserves totalling 44, which I think is the maximum you can register at the start of the season.

Bolton's "First Team" shows 35 (which I think we have to take Idan Tal off) so 34, which I think includes most, if not all, of our Reserves...
i counted 29 but left out bardsley who is likely to leave and hasn't played for them in an age and pique who i'm not sure has appeared for them yet but i could have left them in

no idea where trotski got 22 from

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:50 pm

Trotski, I agree with you that we're basically covered as far as squad players go. We've improved on the four players we released, increased the squad numbers in light of the UEFA Cup, and signed young players for the future . . . all for very little in terms of transfer fees. I think it's time now to look for a right back who can also cover the center (to replace Ben Haim) and a creative and/or attacking midfielder who will push Nolan. With around £5-£9 million in the bank (depending on the Peace Cup and the Wilhelmsson signing) we still have enough to make significant improvements to the starting XI.

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:56 pm

Trotski wrote:

Well I started this off - and I think Trotski has got my point entirely.

Actually - what I think we need now is a midfield equivalent of Anelka.

If that means spending all the rest of our transfer budget on deadline day, say on Riquelme or a similarly out-of-favour player at a very big club then I would be very happy.

But bargains only come available in the last few days of the window (Diouf, Anelka, Campo, etc etc) as the big clubs get their new season squads together - and the new pecking order upsets somebody. So sit tight.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:01 pm

When we ran the poll for "which position should our big signing be in" - more than 50% said attacking midfield. So I think most peeps support your opinion bw.

I think where the issue is, lies in the question, "Is Wilhelmsson that player?" If we believe that we're in for him (and I think we probably are) and he'll cost £2-2.5m, I don't think we've got enough in the kitty for someone of Riquelme's ilk - who I don't think would make the trip, as an aside. I think if we get Wilhelmsson then that'll be it for midfield. leaving just a fullback maybe? to complete the squad

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Squad size / appearances

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:34 pm

Spartan wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:
Spartan wrote:I agree with Trotski improve the XI, not the squad. Daxter its foolish to think that there is no-one available for a reported 10M who will improve our team. And Trotski doesn't have to name them at all, i can't name many aftershaves but i know if i wanted some there would be some within my budget.
Really bad analogy. Aftershave is mass produced; there are 100 million bottles of Old Spice in the world but there is only one Wayne Rooney.
There is indeed only one Wayne Rooney, there is in that sense only one bottle of old spice [the sense of this particular bottle in question] There are of course millions of different bottles of Old Spice and aftershaves but there are also 100's of different football players [not just one] who meet the requirement of being available for <10M and having the quality of being better than at least one of our present XI.

If you want to quibble over the analogy having a variation in quantity of available goods [100's compared to millions] i could just as easily quibble over there being a variation in the number of buyers [100's of football clubs compared to millions of consumers]. But this is nothing like the point, i'll grant you my analogy was bad in the sense that it didn't easily convey its message.

The point is simple every single year we and everyone else in the premiership buy some players who improve their respective XI, why suddenly now, this season, would that trend be any different? I have no reason at all to suspect that this trend will cease to occur despite the fact that i do not know who the players are.
:oops:
I were just saying like.
Businesswoman of the year.

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:07 pm

Worthy4England wrote:When we ran the poll for "which position should our big signing be in" - more than 50% said attacking midfield. So I think most peeps support your opinion bw.

I think where the issue is, lies in the question, "Is Wilhelmsson that player?" If we believe that we're in for him (and I think we probably are) and he'll cost £2-2.5m, I don't think we've got enough in the kitty for someone of Riquelme's ilk - who I don't think would make the trip, as an aside. I think if we get Wilhelmsson then that'll be it for midfield. leaving just a fullback maybe? to complete the squad
I wouldn't group a Riquelme or Wilhelmsson together.

Riquelme is a central attacking midfielder and as I understand it Wilhelmsson is a traditional right winger. I really can't see us signing an attacking midfielder as Nolan is probably down for that role. He'll be given a licence to get forward with either Faye, McCann, Andranik or McCann playing more of a holding role along side him. I'd be delighted with Wilhelmsson coming in as I think it really would complete the sqaud. A midfield like this for example looks very promising.

Wilhelmsson___Nolan___Faye___Diouf

Regarding a full back, I can't envision it happening. I think most people would like to see a genuine right back come in but it seems as though Sammy rates Hunt. With Sinclair pushing for a place there and hopefully a returning O'Brien, I really can't see it.

As far as left back goes, Samuel and Gardner will battle for that spot and it seems Cid can play there so that is very useful in the unlikely event of both Samuel and Gardner suffering injuries.

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:08 pm

Daxter wrote:
I wouldn't group a Riquelme or Wilhelmsson together.

Riquelme is a central attacking midfielder and as I understand it Wilhelmsson is a traditional right winger.
and Riquelme is world class

and Wilhelmsson isn't.

Somewhere in Italy or Spain, there is a row waiting to happen.

and then we pounce

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:18 pm

Riquelme might have been a more likely target under Sam. Correct me if I'm wrong but I can't recall seing any links to fallen idols so far this summer. Sammy seems to be keeping it relatively young and EPL-based.

Oh, and he's a headcase.

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:11 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:Riquelme might have been a more likely target under Sam. Correct me if I'm wrong but I can't recall seing any links to fallen idols so far this summer. Sammy seems to be keeping it relatively young and EPL-based.

Oh, and he's a headcase.
Just like Joof and Elk

£33 million of players for £12million

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:11 pm

The idea of Riquelme coming here is fanciful to say the least.
Last edited by Daxter on Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:12 pm

I'd say it was more fanciful than owt Dax wrote.

ie - not a chance