Loan Watch 2010/11

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

t_o_molloy
Promising
Promising

Loan Watch 2010/11

Post by t_o_molloy » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:10 pm

This is the weekly feature where I review all of our loanee's performances to see how they're getting on in their respective seasons.

Ali Al-Habsi was an unused sub as Wigan Athletic were thrased 4-0 at the hands of newly promoted Blackpool, meaning he may be likely to start next week against Chelsea.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Loan Watch 2010/11

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:50 pm

t_o_molloy wrote:This is the weekly feature where I review all of our loanee's performances to see how they're getting on in their respective seasons.

Ali Al-Habsi was an unused sub as Wigan Athletic were thrased 4-0 at the hands of newly promoted Blackpool, meaning he may be likely to start next week against Chelsea.
I expect a bid for Al-Habsi's permanent transfer by the end of the week. Kirkland was absolutely dreadful.
May the bridges I burn light your way

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Re: Loan Watch 2010/11

Post by seanworth » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:52 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
t_o_molloy wrote:This is the weekly feature where I review all of our loanee's performances to see how they're getting on in their respective seasons.

I expect a bid for Al-Habsi's permanent transfer by the end of the week. Kirkland was absolutely dreadful.
Let him play a game first.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:57 pm

I was slightly disappointed that Ali wasn't starting; I was under the impression that Kirkland was out for the opening game of the season with an injury. good to see he'll be in goal next week though!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:06 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:I was slightly disappointed that Ali wasn't starting; I was under the impression that Kirkland was out for the opening game of the season with an injury
A simple matter of time. :wink:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:27 am

H. Pedersen wrote:I was slightly disappointed that Ali wasn't starting; I was under the impression that Kirkland was out for the opening game of the season with an injury. good to see he'll be in goal next week though!
If he's fit, Kirkland will be playing. Teams like Wigan and ourselves don't drop 'Keepers because of a bad game. We leave that up to United and Arsenal
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:55 pm

boltonboris wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:I was slightly disappointed that Ali wasn't starting; I was under the impression that Kirkland was out for the opening game of the season with an injury. good to see he'll be in goal next week though!
If he's fit, Kirkland will be playing. Teams like Wigan and ourselves don't drop 'Keepers because of a bad game. We leave that up to United and Arsenal
I pressume you mean this weekend? if so completely agree, Kirkland, if fit, will play. He will get injured sooner or later though, and hopefully Ali will play well enough to stay in, without playing so well as to give the bastards any points. A man of the match performance in several 1-0 defeats would be nice :D
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:34 pm

boltonboris wrote:
and England
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

t_o_molloy
Promising
Promising

Post by t_o_molloy » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:45 pm

Ali Al-Habsi was yet again an unused sub as Wigan were battered 6-0 by Champions Chelsea.

In other news, Danny Ward, Jlloyd Samuel and Joey O'Brien have all been linked with Championship loan moves in the past week.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:16 am

t_o_molloy wrote:Ali Al-Habsi was yet again an unused sub as Wigan were battered 6-0 by Champions Chelsea.

In other news, Danny Ward, Jlloyd Samuel and Joey O'Brien have all been linked with Championship loan moves in the past week.
Kirkland has conceded 10 goals in 2 games. Time for a change?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:13 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
t_o_molloy wrote:Ali Al-Habsi was yet again an unused sub as Wigan were battered 6-0 by Champions Chelsea.

The whole back 4 are as culpable as Kirkland.. He was shocking against Blackpool, granted. But he was woefully exposed by a schoolboy defence. Didn't see the Chelsea goals, was he at fault for any of them?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:28 am

boltonboris wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

The whole back 4 are as culpable as Kirkland.. He was shocking against Blackpool, granted. But he was woefully exposed by a schoolboy defence. Didn't see the Chelsea goals, was he at fault for any of them?
No. Wigans whole outfield were at fault for being completely exposed, and Martinez as well for literally not having a clue!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:29 am

boltonboris wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

At least two. But you're right, the whole back five have to stand up. Al Habsi may at least give them a little confidence and steady the defenders.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:38 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

At least two. But you're right, the whole back five have to stand up. Al Habsi may at least give them a little confidence and steady the defenders.
hmmm... and do we really want our reserve keeper rescuing them?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:00 am

thebish wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Almost rescuing them. 8)

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:39 am

thebish wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Fck no.

I think Kirkland deserves a good 10 match run to see if he can get back on track.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:54 am

But if you're Al Habsi, not getting a game because Shaggy's on form is one thing - not getting a game and watching Kirkland wave at one, on average, every 18 minutes is quite another.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:01 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:But if you're Al Habsi, not getting a game because Shaggy's on form is one thing - not getting a game and watching Kirkland wave at one, on average, every 18 minutes is quite another.
At which point he realises lifes much better on our bench than Wigans....

Job done!

:mrgreen:

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:46 pm

Just to say - I'm reasonably confident we won't ship four against Blackpool... But we could temper the level of hubris when considering chelsea - who let us off with two 4-0s last season and may not be so generous this...

t_o_molloy
Promising
Promising

Post by t_o_molloy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:22 am

Ali Al-Habsi made his Wigan debut in the Carling Cup against Hartlepool United on Tuesday night. His debut was also coupled with a clean sheet in Wigan's first win of the season. Furthermore, he made a superb save in the 20th minute to keep Wigan in the lead before Wigan scored twice more to make the final score 0-3.