Carling Cup 3rd Round - Burnley Away

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:13 am

in what way was the goal "controversial"?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:16 am

thebish wrote:in what way was the goal "controversial"?
Well obviously from where I was sat I couldn't see, but Coyle is claiming Iwelumo punched the ball to set up Elliot for the volley.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:19 am

CLattenburg was involved say no more.

And whilst its a bit of a Sammy Lee positive, we played some decent stuff in the first half, before reverting to type in the second. Mind, that midfield might get murdered in the Prem, but its reasonably encouraging that our second string can pass the ball like that.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:22 am

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/bolton/Wh ... Shittu-919

The first and last Carling Cup match report for this season!

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:22 am

Klasnic needs a quiet word in his shell-like.

Not impressed if he's seen his backside over being subbed, if he cant see he was shite then i give up. Hopefully he's not coasting now he's on the books full time.

Need to react well against Man Utd, but defensively i fear the worst, we're so vulnerable. An in-form Berbatov will find miles and miles of space.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:23 am

Lord Kangana wrote:CLattenburg was involved say no more.

And whilst its a bit of a Sammy Lee positive, we played some decent stuff in the first half, before reverting to type in the second. Mind, that midfield might get murdered in the Prem, but its reasonably encouraging that our second string can pass the ball like that.
We played some nice stuff second half too, the move to set up Cohen was superb, and he should have scored.

The trouble is we had no ballwinner in there so struggled to create sustained pressure. And as Burnley tried to close ranks second half it became harder. But I still think we played some nice stuff until we got desperate later on.

Coyle is definitely changing the way we play, and that should be a positive for all those who complained about the style under previous regimes.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:31 am

ratbert wrote:http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/bolton/Wh ... Shittu-919

The first and last Carling Cup match report for this season!
The desperate lack of cover in defence was summed up best by the guy behind me who bemoaned “why did we get rid of Danny Shittu?”
Was it not Danny Shittu himself, in a fake beard and dark glasses? :)

bwfc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by bwfc » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:36 am

"He picked a team good enough to go through.

That team created chances and missed them and lost to the only (controversial) goal of the game"

You obviously didn't go.

It wasn't the result it was the performance. We were totally outplayed especially in the second half.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:41 am

bwfc wrote:"He picked a team good enough to go through.

That team created chances and missed them and lost to the only (controversial) goal of the game"

You obviously didn't go.

It wasn't the result it was the performance. We were totally outplayed especially in the second half.
I did go. And if you call that being "totally outplayed" then I despair.

Burnley were the better side for spells but we always looked dangerous. On another day we'd have won but it wasn't that other day and we didn't. We could have taken a first team there and got turned over it was just that sort of game. I always worried that making that many changes for a game like that would leave us struggling a bit but to be fair we were in the game and with better finishing would have won. Thats the long and short of it.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:42 am

BWFC_Insane wrote: Bogdan can't kick won't throw. Jussi back please.
I wasn't there last night, but from what I have seen of him I'd say that that's shite, fella. And are you saying that Jussi can and does both kick well and throw accurately?
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:57 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: Bogdan can't kick won't throw. Jussi back please.
I wasn't there last night, but from what I have seen of him I'd say that that's shite, fella. And are you saying that Jussi can and does both kick well and throw accurately?
The crowd were very frustrated with Bogdan last night. He persisted in kicking badly to a disinterested Klasnic, despite Alonso, Steinsson, Blake, Davies etc offering other options to him.

Don't get me wrong he's a great prospect but his kicking was awful and he seemed reluctant to throw it.

Jussi isn't MUCH better but his kicking is a bit better and for that I'd have him back in for now.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:59 am

I'd have to disagree, and whilst a couple of times he was hesitant and wasted the opportunity to distribute quickly, more times people gave him no option but to go long. And I felt, considering his inexperience, the back four would have been briefed to give him a bit more protection.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:04 am

Bogdan looks to have good range to his kicking.

All said considering he has been thrown in at the deep end, I think he is doing fine.

bwfc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by bwfc » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:04 am

"Burnley were the better side for spell"

Yes I agree

Most of the first half and all of the second half.

We were poor and a couple of counter attacks doesn't paper over the cracks IMO.

Just shows how football is based on opinion, maybe I expect too much when we play teams a division below us. Coyle assured us he would put a team out good enough to win.

That I am afraid is untrue, that team would never win in a month of Sundays.

And whats all this with constantly berating the ref? No wonder Clattenberg doesn't like us.
Last edited by bwfc on Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:07 am

bwfc wrote:"Burnley were the better side for spell"

Yes I agree

Most of the first half and all of the second half.

We were poor and a couple of counter attacks doesn't paper over the cracks IMO.

Just shows how football is based on opinion, maybe I expect too much when we play teams a division below us. Coyle assured us he would put a team out good enough to win. That I am afraid is untrue.
Put it this way their keeper had to make better saves than Bogdan did, although I'll grant you they struck the woodwork twice from distance. Had a couple of our chances gone in we'd not be having this conversation. The team out last night could have won, but it didn't. To say it wasn't "good enough to win" is misleading, suggesting we went with a team that was always going to lose. Just not true.

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:10 am

:pissed: Their cup final; our cup......... frankly I don't give a toss about it this year. Yes, losing to near neighbours is always a kick in the knackers, and a cup run is always nice. But let's have some perspective and continue the good(ish) start we've made in the prem and get behind the team instead of slagging 'em off. The result won't make one jot of difference come the end of the season, except to some myopic six fingered supporters from that shit*y little town up the road. Hopefully in a season or two's time they will be saying "do you remember that night we beat Bolton in't carling cup"? " "By the way, are you going t'match at Brentford on sat?" Whereas we'll be saying, "what a great night that was when we went to Madrid".......................................

bwfc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by bwfc » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:15 am

"To say it wasn't "good enough to win" is misleading, suggesting we went with a team that was always going to lose. Just not true."

I will accept your opinion and just to say its a funny old game. As you are obviously shocked at my opinion I am actually amazed at the way we can see the same game so differently. I must be a manic depressive :( :D

Anyway feels better to get it off my chest.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:30 am

We played Burnley at Burnley, if we'd have lost 1-0 at the Reebok I'd have torn my hair out like Northampton last season. 6/8 changes it makes for an unbalanced side when we put players who have still got to get used to playing as a side together. Having them play in training is also not the same as a competitive match.

We seem to be turning into Newcastle/Spammers fans and expecting a win. Or that after a bad result we should be calling for the head of the manager/comparing him to HWSNBN, which in my humble opinion isn't right.
Pfffft.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:31 am

bwfc wrote:"To say it wasn't "good enough to win" is misleading, suggesting we went with a team that was always going to lose. Just not true."

I will accept your opinion and just to say its a funny old game. As you are obviously shocked at my opinion I am actually amazed at the way we can see the same game so differently. I must be a manic depressive :( :D

Anyway feels better to get it off my chest.
I'm not shocked at your opinion. I'm sure many people say the same.

Supporters naturally describe a loss as "shite" and part of our play was exactly that.

It was a strange game whereby in some respects Burnley were the better side yet in others we looked light years ahead. I always try and see the positives through a game and there were quite a few. I suppose it depends on your expectations. I thought that team would struggle, I said as much yesterday when it was obvious that Coyle was going to make a lot of changes. Our second string against a good championship side with an atomosphere and edge like that was always going to be difficult. In fact go back 3 or 4 years and our second string in a game like that would have been a lot lot worse. I suppose some people thought we'd go there and walk all over them but to me that was never realistic with any team we could have put out.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:04 am

Most worrying thing seems to be all this about klasnic to be honest. That team wasn't mentally strong enough to get anything last night. Lacked the kind of character davies and robinson provide. Worried klasnic thinks he should be an automatic choice, or he just cant be arsed. We need that guy fit and in the team when elmander and davies stop firing.