Carling Cup 3rd Round - Burnley Away

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:45 pm

My understanding is that we paid our share (for the stadium etc) but that the whole deal was struck as a pseudo-regeneration project for the Horwich area. Thats why there was all that shenanigans of argument between local and central governement beforehand. I believe thats why we have a retail park, and why we were so willing to move so far so quickly (ie infrastructure was paid for and we paid rent, which I think is what Boris is thinking of).
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:52 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:My understanding is that we paid our share (for the stadium etc) but that the whole deal was struck as a pseudo-regeneration project for the Horwich area. Thats why there was all that shenanigans of argument between local and central governement beforehand. I believe thats why we have a retail park, and why we were so willing to move so far so quickly (ie infrastructure was paid for and we paid rent, which I think is what Boris is thinking of).
Can't argue that Middlebrook has been a success, it's the 2nd biggest retail park in the country now and is only going to get bigger, it p*sses on the town centre anyway.

But a football stadium doesn't belong up there, night matches are paticularly poor.
Troll and proud of it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:55 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:My understanding is that we paid our share (for the stadium etc) but that the whole deal was struck as a pseudo-regeneration project for the Horwich area. Thats why there was all that shenanigans of argument between local and central governement beforehand. I believe thats why we have a retail park, and why we were so willing to move so far so quickly (ie infrastructure was paid for and we paid rent, which I think is what Boris is thinking of).
I think thats almost right. I think the council paid for stuff like access roads (that they wouldn't normally do for a new stadium) but we (Burnden Leisure the same as we) paid for the actual stadium construction.

AS is right that part of the trouble was we didn't sell the Burnden land as quickly or for as much as was anticipated but we were always going to have some debt as part of the building, effectively a mortgage.

But I'm no financial expert I'm sure some who are can confirm.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:05 pm

I believe you need to look to the role of Prescott J

Policy re 'out of town' developments changed so we couldn't get permissions to do with Burnden what was planned, thus the value was a fraction of what was budgeted

Thing that made me smile was how Normid shut the week after Burnden

Hmmm
Sto ut Serviam

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:10 pm

How would an opposition politician have a say in a new development? Or are you suggesting the site was completed in 3 months?

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:53 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:How would an opposition politician have a say in a new development? Or are you suggesting the site was completed in 3 months?
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

No doubt this article will be lies

http://archive.thisislancashire.co.uk/1 ... 01526.html
Sto ut Serviam

Bigzippy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Bigzippy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:22 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote: It's been a while. But don't mistake my meaning. I'm saying they wouldn't build a new stadium in Burnden's old location and that would be one of the reasons why not. That's why I said it couldn't happen today. Do you disagree?
Ah, so you're a town planner now as well? I didn't know that. :wink: However, what I would suggest is that the land's current use would be pretty high up the pecking order. As such, if we're talking about having replaced Burnden Park with a new stadium on the same site (which we are) you'd be altering the stadium, that is all, not its use nor adding significantly to the amount of people using it. Would the planners allow someone to now knock down ASDA and whatnot to build a football ground? I'd have thought not.
Something that people fail to observe though when they're saying that we should've built a new stadium on the Burnden site is that the size of its footprint is absolutely tiny. We'd have ended up with something as ridiculous as Valley Parade.
I was just passing an opinion. I did mention Moses Gate as an option which you said wasn't. I'll admit to not knowing why if you'd care to expand.

How many football stadiums are in town centres simply because they were built donkeys years ago when life was much slower paced and traffic nowhere near what it is today. How many of them would be built there today? I'm suggesting there'd be a lot more Reeboks than Burndens is all, an opinion that doesn't really seem to conflict with what you're saying? Retail parks and industrial estates were built for that very reason, because delivering via forty foot articulated vehicles to town centres isn't really a feasible option today. It isn't necessary to be a town planner to realise that surely?
Football grounds recently re-designed on their original site, and not relocated?

Let's have a think then.

Old Trafford Not rally a town centre location and looks shit from outside plus is horribly cramped (away end is)
Anfield Would have been moved if they could afford it, re development has been ongoing for over 15 years
Upton Park :shock:
Turf Moor No comment really I have never been,
Ewood Park Done with a crazy but commited mans money, could have been better to move?
Even Maine Road before a spare one came up. Restricted view Restricted VIEW (sat trying to watch a game from behing a roof support is no fun)

These are just a few off the top of my head.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:39 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:How would an opposition politician have a say in a new development? Or are you suggesting the site was completed in 3 months?
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

No doubt this article will be lies

http://archive.thisislancashire.co.uk/1 ... 01526.html
No, but you'll be talking shite.

Sadly, the Reebok stadium was planned in 1994/5. The club had ample time to sort itself out, but ridiculously overvalued the price of the land. Or do you think they suddenly woke up one morning over a year after we moved from Burnden and thought "ooh, we'd best sort Burnden out". Actually, scratch that you probably do believe that.

And hasn't Tesco moved, or did I imagine that? Perhaps you need to re-read that article as a supporting evidence.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:59 pm

You said Presott as an opposition MP had nowt to do with it...fact is you were wrong

If you don't want to concede his involvement in affecting the price attained, your either a dick or playing games

My money is on the former...just

Either way, I can't be arsed

We can let others make their mind up
Sto ut Serviam

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:22 pm

given the long-term sexual tension between LK and CAPS - me and Tango are mere amateurs!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:28 pm

thebish wrote:given the long-term sexual tension between LK and CAPS - me and Tango are mere amateurs!
Grammar alert.... :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:39 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
thebish wrote:given the long-term sexual tension between LK and CAPS - me and Tango are mere amateurs!
Get a job you layabout! :wink:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:17 am

I think that's just a libido thing bought on by old age. I'm sure a few years ago you n Tango would have been up there in the sexual tension stakes too.

:D

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:38 am

thebish wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Get a job you layabout! :wink:
:D Still have one for a month or two....
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:32 am

Bigzippy wrote: Old Trafford Not rally a town centre location and looks shit from outside plus is horribly cramped (away end is)
Anfield Would have been moved if they could afford it, re development has been ongoing for over 15 years
Ewood Park Done with a crazy but commited mans money, could have been better to move?
Even Maine Road before a spare one came up. Restricted view Restricted VIEW (sat trying to watch a game from behing a roof support is no fun)

They are all in built up areas, Zippy. Some are even in residential areas. That's the point. Walker's money and restricted views have exactly what to do with the subject matter? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:06 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Bigzippy wrote: Old Trafford Not rally a town centre location and looks shit from outside plus is horribly cramped (away end is)

They are all in built up areas, Zippy. Some are even in residential areas. That's the point. Walker's money and restricted views have exactly what to do with the subject matter? :conf:
Id also argue in your favour that 4 or those 6 stadiums, could 'pay for themselves' in terms of revenue and bums on seats, without the need for a retail park to bump up their income.

Only Blackburn and Burnley would appreciate the extra revenue a retail park could make them, the rest (although they wouldn't say No) don't need it
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:51 pm

Had a quick run through 10-or-so pages of this thread but Im short on time Ive got to go out - what was the atmosphere at the game like? Was it as hostile as expected?

Would have loved to have gone to it, gutted when the fixture and dates came out - I was in Ibiza enduring the Spurs-Arsenal game around a load of cretinous cockneys instead. And it absolutely pis*ed it down all night.