Fortress Reebok?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:00 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
seanworth wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:
seanworth wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote: Yeah, I mean if my dad hadn't taken me to Mariners games when I was four or five I might have adopted a different baseball team instead of one that has had one good pitcher in the last twenty years and has zero chance of winning the World Series in my lifetime . . .

. . . I forgot what point I was making.
Haven't watched baseball in a long long time but assume you are referring to Randy Johnson. Now he was scary to watch pitch.
Just ask the bird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R-IJ1DOVRg
What can I say.

Did remember control wasn't his strong point when with Seattle. Something much improved upon later in his career.
Actually he began his career with the Montreal Expos and we traded him for Mark Langston. This did not turn our to be a shrewd move.
The Expos traded away quite a bit of talent over the years.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:19 pm

Err - Fortress Reebok, not Rounders thank-you, gentlemen. :wink:
May the bridges I burn light your way

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:34 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Err - Fortress Reebok, not Rounders thank-you, gentlemen. :wink:
Quit being such an old square.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:36 pm

seanworth wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Err - Fortress Reebok, not Rounders thank-you, gentlemen. :wink:
Yes well, I suppose the type of atmosphere generated inside the stadium is of no concern to some.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gaz Tomorrow
Promising
Promising

Post by Gaz Tomorrow » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:37 pm

Bigzippy wrote:
boltonboris wrote:Exactly. People can't be arsed anymore. It's natural. The Premier League is approaching the end of it's cycle of being a massive spectator sport. Results driven, overpaid players who have no common ground with the fans in the 'cheap' seats. In our case a decade in the top fligh.. It's getting a bit same old, same old.

Feck all anybody can do about it, it's just more convenient to stay at home. And a damn sight cheaper.
Got to agree with this.

I went to the first game this season £26 for a ticket I can cope with. The problems start with all the other costs involved, Costs me £20 in fuel to get there, £6 in to park. £3 for a programme' beer was reasonable at the Mega bowl 4 pints for a £10 but it still cost (half that cost as I shared it with a mate) Subway lunch was £4 then add £10 for a bet and £2 for a half time drink and a £1 for the golden gamble and thats the day up to over £70 might not sound a lot but do that twice a month and thats £140. I watched in the legion yesterday and beer cost me £20 and that was all I had to pay out.

I hate to say it but for me £20 vs £70 wins everytime and the atmosphere at the Bok for the first game was the worst I have experienced since we lost at home to Bury! I didnt mind sitting on a room on my own shouting at the tv screen compared to that!
It is a problem across all leagues but the premier league seems to be particularly hard hit. I know this is not on the same scale but my local club is Exeter City and we go reasonably often. The ticket prices for students have virtually doubled since last season, yet they still pull in 6/7 thousand and the stadium capacity is just short of 8 thousand. This is obviously smaller scale and its different because Exeter's largest share holder is the fans but still. The main difference i would say is the geography, the nearest team that (has been) bigger is Plymouth, and Exeter and Plymouth hate each other so much.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:48 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
seanworth wrote:
Yes well, I suppose the type of atmosphere generated inside the stadium is of no concern to some.
Rounders.......square.........round......square.........geometric shapes

I know not exactly the wittiest of comments but I was just trying to pick up the atmosphere somewhat.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:04 pm

You are a diamond, Sean... :)

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:07 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:You are a diamond, Sean... :)
O.k. that's one strike.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:26 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:
Alien3 wrote:
Alien3 wrote:The point of this thread was to ascertain ,why the Reebok is so quiet. I'm not having the fact that we take our kids as an excuse,if that was the case surely all the other grounds would have the same problem! When i go to a match, i actively encourage my son's to get behind our team ...only to glance around and people are glaring at them for doing so. It seems all you're allowed to do is sit there and clap :zzz:
So , my answer to the question is this, the majority that go to watch Bolton simply can't be bothered to go to watch and make noise,they'd rather just clap politely for the duration of ninety minutes. This is in my humble opinion of course. :D

im all for noise, but if I were to jump up and try to join in with a chant thats coming from the NSL or under the scoreboard to get it going around me, i would look and and feel a total fookin bellend!
you see people try it now and again then quickly sit down ashamed, either that or start shouting "get behind yer team yer bunch of miserable shithouses!" you generally never see them again. nobody is arsed these days, so these days neither am I.

save it for the away days when everyones drunk!
Spot on,that's the feeling i get too :D
Me too. The opposite end of the ESL near the North Stand is stuck in between the numpties with the drums and the NSL and ESL corner competing about who gets a chant started
yep thats my spot too.
Maybe I've sat near to you then?
Pfffft.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:28 pm

What was Jimmy saying about stalkers?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:What was Jimmy saying about stalkers?
Dont think it can't happen to you, LK :)

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Alien3 wrote:
Alien3 wrote:The point of this thread was to ascertain ,why the Reebok is so quiet. I'm not having the fact that we take our kids as an excuse,if that was the case surely all the other grounds would have the same problem! When i go to a match, i actively encourage my son's to get behind our team ...only to glance around and people are glaring at them for doing so. It seems all you're allowed to do is sit there and clap :zzz:
So , my answer to the question is this, the majority that go to watch Bolton simply can't be bothered to go to watch and make noise,they'd rather just clap politely for the duration of ninety minutes. This is in my humble opinion of course. :D

im all for noise, but if I were to jump up and try to join in with a chant thats coming from the NSL or under the scoreboard to get it going around me, i would look and and feel a total fookin bellend!
you see people try it now and again then quickly sit down ashamed, either that or start shouting "get behind yer team yer bunch of miserable shithouses!" you generally never see them again. nobody is arsed these days, so these days neither am I.

save it for the away days when everyones drunk!
Spot on,that's the feeling i get too :D
+1

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:47 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:
Sir Nut and his owd man are looking for him as we speak.

Stay lucky
Troll and proud of it.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:39 pm

as wrote:
ohjimmyjimmy wrote:

Stay lucky
:D
Pfffft.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:35 pm

Back on topic re: atmosphere, I'll just go ahead and say it, I can understand why people wouldn't want to sing or chant because you can't fully focus on the game at hand. I've watched football all around the world and there are always people who are paying more attention to their song/flag/banner/drums/vuvuzela than they are to the actual game they've paid for. I guess I like the idea of traditional football atmosphere but when some guy is shouting ignorant comments in my ear or some group of Brazilians is pounding on drums hypnotically for 90 minutes I feel like I might enjoy the silence more.

Perhaps it's because we don't have the singing tradition in America, but I'd rather, you know, watch the game.

Sir Nut
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Sir Nut » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:12 am

as wrote:
ohjimmyjimmy wrote:

Stay lucky
Id never find you would i, you never go to the bloody games. Either that or you sit behind an invisible roof support post.

Sir Nut
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Sir Nut » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:17 am

H. Pedersen wrote:Back on topic re: atmosphere, I'll just go ahead and say it, I can understand why people wouldn't want to sing or chant because you can't fully focus on the game at hand. I've watched football all around the world and there are always people who are paying more attention to their song/flag/banner/drums/vuvuzela than they are to the actual game they've paid for. I guess I like the idea of traditional football atmosphere but when some guy is shouting ignorant comments in my ear or some group of Brazilians is pounding on drums hypnotically for 90 minutes I feel like I might enjoy the silence more.

Perhaps it's because we don't have the singing tradition in America, but I'd rather, you know, watch the game.
The Atmosphere and Passion is what makes/made the premiership special, i remember the days where you could stand up and sing your heart with everyone joining in, nowadays at the Reebok you stand up and sing and they look at you like you've just raped their mother. The only experiences iv had in the past 10 years where we have sung all the way through the game are the Arsenal at home game where we was getting beat (Electric) and Boro away when we needed to win. other times have been decent but them 2 fixtures is what Atmosphere is all about.

Its not hard to sing and watch the game at the same time...........

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:14 pm

The Sun were looking today at the games Rooney could play in, because bless his cottons he's expected to get a bit of banter from the crowds.

Had this to say about the Reebok
Not the most intimidating ground in the Premier League. Away fans likely to outnumber home fans, so he'll be ok here.
What happened to the cauldron of hate eh?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:42 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:The Sun were looking today at the games Rooney could play in, because bless his cottons he's expected to get a bit of banter from the crowds.

Had this to say about the Reebok
Not the most intimidating ground in the Premier League. Away fans likely to outnumber home fans, so he'll be ok here.
What happened to the cauldron of hate eh?
Don't know. Perhaps thats at Goodison?

Because it was never ever at the Reebok, other than directed at our own.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:07 pm

Arsenal at home, Jens Lehmann-era. Spawned the Alan Davies article which HRG is talking about (IIRC).

Other than that, you're right though.