Fortress Reebok?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:43 pm

Bigzippy wrote:
boltonboris wrote:Exactly. People can't be arsed anymore. It's natural. The Premier League is approaching the end of it's cycle of being a massive spectator sport. Results driven, overpaid players who have no common ground with the fans in the 'cheap' seats. In our case a decade in the top fligh.. It's getting a bit same old, same old.

Feck all anybody can do about it, it's just more convenient to stay at home. And a damn sight cheaper.
Got to agree with this.

I went to the first game this season £26 for a ticket I can cope with. The problems start with all the other costs involved, Costs me £20 in fuel to get there, £6 in to park. £3 for a programme' beer was reasonable at the Mega bowl 4 pints for a £10 but it still cost (half that cost as I shared it with a mate) Subway lunch was £4 then add £10 for a bet and £2 for a half time drink and a £1 for the golden gamble and thats the day up to over £70 might not sound a lot but do that twice a month and thats £140. I watched in the legion yesterday and beer cost me £20 and that was all I had to pay out.

I hate to say it but for me £20 vs £70 wins everytime and the atmosphere at the Bok for the first game was the worst I have experienced since we lost at home to Bury! I didnt mind sitting on a room on my own shouting at the tv screen compared to that!
Most of those expenses were optional. Ticket + fuel + parking = £52. Admittedly, that's still a lot! You could use public transport to make it cheaper.

What was wrong with the atmosphere for the first game? You're talking about the Fulham game?

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:46 pm

tbf bigzippy there's an awful lot you've bought there that you have absolutely no need to. programme ffs. :mrgreen:

boltonboris sums up my thoughts on going completely though. just no value left in it for me now. if blackburn or wigan away is the usual £15 then it's worthwhile cos it's a good day out. home games just don't pique my interest like they used to. think i attended 3 last season.

all of this no doubt makes me less of a supporter than the regulars. but i just baulk at paying what i consider to be ridiculous prices nowadays. if in ten years time we are in the 2nd or 3rd tier and prices have sorted themselves out so it's no more than £15 for a ticket (which i doubt) then i'm sure i would be going to a lot more games.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:11 pm

Just to clarify before we carry on

Shite home form is being put down to high cost of watching the team?

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:24 pm

Who the frig pays to park at the reebok? Have you not seen the 3000 free spaces next door?

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:37 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:Just to clarify before we carry on

no its the lying 5 thousand bastards who said theyd start going again once the ginger get got fecked off.

they'll be blaming 4-4-2 next.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:59 pm

FaninOz wrote:18,139 says it all I guess. I'm sure that it contributes to the way the players perform. Watching and listening on TV yesterday the crowd seemed very quiet, and when they did make a noise it was echoing around the empty seats, until the Jussi sending off after which the sound seemed to almost raise the roof at times.

So it appears that the sounds fans make that makes the difference not how many are actually present, its just that fans in a full stadium can make a more effective noise than a third empty stadium. Yesterday was a very very poor attendance even though it was an early Sunday afternoon kick off.
What did you think of the atmosphere then? Did you leave early? What about the pies, chicken balti, or meat and tato? Them chicken wraps were alright weren't they?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bigzippy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Bigzippy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:18 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Bigzippy wrote:
boltonboris wrote:Exactly. People can't be arsed anymore. It's natural. The Premier League is approaching the end of it's cycle of being a massive spectator sport. Results driven, overpaid players who have no common ground with the fans in the 'cheap' seats. In our case a decade in the top fligh.. It's getting a bit same old, same old.

Feck all anybody can do about it, it's just more convenient to stay at home. And a damn sight cheaper.
Got to agree with this.

I went to the first game this season £26 for a ticket I can cope with. The problems start with all the other costs involved, Costs me £20 in fuel to get there, £6 in to park. £3 for a programme' beer was reasonable at the Mega bowl 4 pints for a £10 but it still cost (half that cost as I shared it with a mate) Subway lunch was £4 then add £10 for a bet and £2 for a half time drink and a £1 for the golden gamble and thats the day up to over £70 might not sound a lot but do that twice a month and thats £140. I watched in the legion yesterday and beer cost me £20 and that was all I had to pay out.

I hate to say it but for me £20 vs £70 wins everytime and the atmosphere at the Bok for the first game was the worst I have experienced since we lost at home to Bury! I didnt mind sitting on a room on my own shouting at the tv screen compared to that!
Most of those expenses were optional. Ticket + fuel + parking = £52. Admittedly, that's still a lot! You could use public transport to make it cheaper.

What was wrong with the atmosphere for the first game? You're talking about the Fulham game?
Fulham game was terrible. I got tickets for ESL right in the corner with South stand and the lack of noise was appaling. Perhapas im just thinking back to when I was a reebok regular 01-06 and the place was buzzing but it was hard to get anything going.

My time frame 01-06 makes me look like a glory hunter but I started Uni in 2001 in Mancheter so I was able go get to the games and I stopped going in 06 as I moved abroad for work.

Public transport could be an option but it would take the best part of 2-3 hours each way for me and that would only result in the cost of beer going up!!!

The other bits n pices of the day (Bet/golden gamble/programme) are part of me and my mates superstisions/traditions. Programmes were always bought from the old chap in the wheelchair, now woman in a wheelchair in the tunnel at the corner of North/west stand. Then we walk around the club shop but NEVER buy anything until we get outside and buy a golden gamble each. Then we go in and put on our bets £2.50 on both centre backs to score first then £5 scorecast on Davo and 2-0. We always get into the ground 30 mins before the game and take our seats so we can hear the teamsheet be read out twice.

I cant imagine match day without those little things!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:46 pm

Prufrock wrote:
FaninOz wrote:18,139 says it all I guess. I'm sure that it contributes to the way the players perform. Watching and listening on TV yesterday the crowd seemed very quiet, and when they did make a noise it was echoing around the empty seats, until the Jussi sending off after which the sound seemed to almost raise the roof at times.

So it appears that the sounds fans make that makes the difference not how many are actually present, its just that fans in a full stadium can make a more effective noise than a third empty stadium. Yesterday was a very very poor attendance even though it was an early Sunday afternoon kick off.
What did you think of the atmosphere then? Did you leave early? What about the pies, chicken balti, or meat and tato? Them chicken wraps were alright weren't they?
Sarcasm ill becomes you, J. Alfred. As far as I can tell FaninOz subscribes to satellite tv (which helps pay our players), gets up when most of us are fast asleep, seldom misses a game and comments accordingly. It is certainly fair to argue - as Worthy does - that those who watch on tv cannot get a feel for atmosphere, but FaninOz does appear to pay his share and be a faithful fan.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:52 pm

That's all well and good. But why the chuff does FiO then spend all that time bemoaning the fact that no buggers there. The only folk we can control who goes to the game is me, myself and I so I don't know what it's achieving

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:56 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Sarcasm ill becomes you, J. Alfred. As far as I can tell FaninOz subscribes to satellite tv (which helps pay our players), gets up when most of us are fast asleep, seldom misses a game and comments accordingly. It is certainly fair to argue - as Worthy does - that those who watch on tv cannot get a feel for atmosphere, but FaninOz does appear to pay his share and be a faithful fan.
I'm not saying FaninOz is any less of a fan, what I am saying is he doesn't get to criticise those who don't go when he doesn't himself. Do I agree with folk who do go who criticse those who don't? No, but I understand them, folk who don't go criticising those who also don't go is frankly bollocks.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:15 pm

Not directly, no.. Indirectly, perhaps. High cost = Less fans. Less fans = shite atmosphere. Shite atmosphere = affected performances (?)
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:20 pm

On that basis, all Mr Coyle needs to do to go half a dozen places up the table on last year is put £5 tickets on

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:21 pm

I've never had a season ticket, so don't see that many home games but...

The atmosphere in the stadium seems to vary a lot depending on where you're sat. The Upper tier especially gets quiet.

I went to the last game of last season (Birmingham again) and from where I was sat the Bolton fans were very quiet and the away supporters were in party mood and more vocal.

I can remember seeing Everton at home (I don't choose the most exciting games) when Big Sam was in charge. It was the game where Osman got injured. There were periods in that game where the whole stadium was silent home and away. Possibly down to the football that was on offer. The same fixture, home game against Everton, under Sammy Lee seemed much noisier. Maybe it was just down to where I was sat on both days, or maybe me memory's going.

The Fulham game was the best atmosphere I've seen for a long time, despite no goals. Birmingham on Sunday was probably a better atmosphere during/after the comeback. If it hadn't have been on telly more people would have showed up and surely the Reebok would be rockin'!?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:42 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

I'm not saying FaninOz is any less of a fan, what I am saying is he doesn't get to criticise those who don't go when he doesn't himself. Do I agree with folk who do go who criticse those who don't? No, but I understand them, folk who don't go criticising those who also don't go is frankly bollocks.
Fair enough if one takes a general comment about poor attendance (and it was poor for whatever reason) as a criticism of those who did not go (which it may not have been). With no criticism of individuals intended, low attendance does worry me. Having BWFC in the Premiership means a great deal to me because it means I can see them a few times a year and the highlights every week. Low attendance creates financial problems fo the club, poorer players and relegation fights. Even with sellouts we are disadvantaged against the bigger teams. We need every edge we can get.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:04 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Fair enough if one takes a general comment about poor attendance (and it was poor for whatever reason) as a criticism of those who did not go (which it may not have been). With no criticism of individuals intended, low attendance does worry me. Having BWFC in the Premiership means a great deal to me because it means I can see them a few times a year and the highlights every week. Low attendance creates financial problems fo the club, poorer players and relegation fights. Even with sellouts we are disadvantaged against the bigger teams. We need every edge we can get.
No problem with any of that, I think we'd all like to see a full, and rocking Reebok every week, but it isn't the first time FiO has made comments criticising folk for not going, and has indeed been much more explicit about it than that.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:04 pm

boltonboris wrote:

Not directly, no.. Indirectly, perhaps. High cost = Less fans. Less fans = shite atmosphere. Shite atmosphere = affected performances (?)

if it's a shite atmosphere - how come the opposition can play then?

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:17 pm

thebish wrote:
boltonboris wrote:

They're obviously cheating :wink:

We could have a chant for that
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:03 pm

Had it not been on't telly with an early kick off, I suspect both sets of fans would have had more at the match.

18k is a bad crowd, but look at some of the gates already this term, and you'll find we're not alone. I think attendances will gradually improve, but some just prefer the pub or watching it on-line.

It's a shame that away followings have been so poor, but going to any game on't choo-choo is stupidly expensive, as are tickets prices in this country, and most 'medium' sized clubs are struggling to sell tickets.
Troll and proud of it.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:21 am

thebish wrote:
boltonboris wrote:

It's different for away teams. They know the job will be that little bit easier when there's not much backing for the home side. Managers stress the importance of 'keeping the home fans quiet' quite often
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:25 am

yes - but we know that Bolton can play at West Ham in front of just a few fans (comparatively) - and win. so why can't they play at home in front of even more fans than that - and win?

i think blaming the crowd or the size thereof for poor results (and let's face it - we're in the top fecking 6!) - is simply a bag of toss.

how many times have you heard it argued exactly the opposite way?? A club has a good away record and some charlie says it is because at home the crowd is so big it puts pressure on the players and their nerves get the better of them...