Fortress Reebok?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:14 pm

Randy Watson wrote:
thebish wrote:
Randy Watson wrote:I thought it was a bit of fun, I'll learn from the mistake of having my opinion!
now now.... don't go all tango on us!
privet joke?
Well, if not then it's certainly skirting around the hedges of one. 8)

I quite agree with you Randy, in exactly the same way that I can't abide kids running around in eating establishments. I'm not there to humour other people's kids, so teach them acceptable standards of behaviour.
May the bridges I burn light your way

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:58 pm

Indeed. The kids parents might not mind, but the hundreds of people around them just might!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

SonsOfThunder
Promising
Promising

Post by SonsOfThunder » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:55 am

I'm surprised there's so much disdain for those who bring their children with them to the stadium. Didn't most of you become Bolton supporters in exactly the same way, or is that just a happy stereotype? When I was watching the West Ham match I jumped up and yelled when Davies scored off Upson's face. My 2.5 year old daughter was sitting next to me and excitedly asked "Daddy, did your team score?" You should have seen the look on her face; it was important to her because she knew it was important to me. Sure, there's some validity in the point that some kids are not well-behaved, or at least most can't be for 2 hours straight (if you have a kid, you know) but you aren't exactly sitting in a church pew having a funeral service.

Or is it just the swearing/drinking-little girls combination that has people upset? Because it seems to me like there is a more general (and cynical) dislike for children in social settings being expressed in this thread.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:03 am

tony cunninghams willy wrote:The problem is football isn't trendy any more.

Young impressionable teenagers would rather go to a BNP rally or paint their fingernails black and comb their hair over their eyes than go to the match.

Football has had its day, fashion goes in circles and the game is simply not fashionable anymore.
No-one ever gets to say I'm out of touch with reality again!

The reason kids don't go to football anymore is because it is too expensive. They go until they are teenagers, then they want to go with their mates, and can't afford to.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:43 am

jimbo wrote:Pretty sure when I was 4 and being taken to games by my mum and dad that I wasn't overly vocal and passionate. Had a tendency to fall asleep at night matches as well. Maybe they shouldn't have bothered just so the atmsophere didn't suffer too much. Then maybe I'd when I got older I'd have ended up going watching Blackpool with people from school.
Yeah, I mean if my dad hadn't taken me to Mariners games when I was four or five I might have adopted a different baseball team instead of one that has had one good pitcher in the last twenty years and has zero chance of winning the World Series in my lifetime . . .

. . . I forgot what point I was making.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:22 am

Prufrock wrote:

Young impressionable teenagers would rather go to a BNP rally or paint their fingernails black and comb their hair over their eyes than go to the match.

Football has had its day, fashion goes in circles and the game is simply not fashionable anymore.

The reason kids don't go to football anymore is because it is too expensive. They go until they are teenagers, then they want to go with their mates, and can't afford to.
I thought it was £59 for a season ticket for under 18's?

That's 2 XBox games (christmas and birthday) or, let's face it, Christmas OR Birthday.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:41 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

That's 2 XBox games (christmas and birthday) or, let's face it, Christmas OR Birthday.
Unbelievable.

Sweeping generalisations to try and justify someone else's intolerance. Are you saying everyone who has had a xbox is a kid?

Juewanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Juewanderer » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:46 am

The point of this thread was to ascertain ,why the Reebok is so quiet. I'm not having the fact that we take our kids as an excuse,if that was the case surely all the other grounds would have the same problem! When i go to a match, i actively encourage my son's to get behind our team ...only to glance around and people are glaring at them for doing so. It seems all you're allowed to do is sit there and clap :zzz:
So , my answer to the question is this, the majority that go to watch Bolton simply can't be bothered to go to watch and make noise,they'd rather just clap politely for the duration of ninety minutes. This is in my humble opinion of course. :D
Never give up on something that you can't go a day without thinking about.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:58 am

Alien3 wrote:The point of this thread was to ascertain ,why the Reebok is so quiet. I'm not having the fact that we take our kids as an excuse,if that was the case surely all the other grounds would have the same problem! When i go to a match, i actively encourage my son's to get behind our team ...only to glance around and people are glaring at them for doing so. It seems all you're allowed to do is sit there and clap :zzz:
So , my answer to the question is this, the majority that go to watch Bolton simply can't be bothered to go to watch and make noise,they'd rather just clap politely for the duration of ninety minutes. This is in my humble opinion of course. :D
im all for noise, but if I were to jump up and try to join in with a chant thats coming from the NSL or under the scoreboard to get it going around me, i would look and and feel a total fookin bellend! you see people try it now and again then quickly sit down ashamed, either that or start shouting "get behind yer team yer bunch of miserable shithouses!" you generally never see them again. nobody is arsed these days, so these days neither am I.

save it for the away days when everyones drunk!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:43 am

General Mannerheim wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Unbelievable.

Sweeping generalisations to try and justify someone else's intolerance. Are you saying everyone who has had a xbox is a kid?
:mrgreen: Yes, now f*ck off.

To recreate the atmosphere I have to put forward the case for safe standing areas. Time and again it has been mooted as perfectly feasible and examples of this are in place in Germany.

It would encourage those who want to stand (and sing) to congregate at one end of the ground and generate a noise the rest of the stadium could join in on. I remember once being in the South Stand (v. Norwich) when Stelios curled a superb shot into the top right hand corner. The noise that afternoon was almost deafening and the 'we are the one and only wanderers' chant went on for about 15 minutes soild. It was generated by the ESL but picked up, on their insistence, by everyone else. It was fantastic and I would love to hear that again. The ESL from what I can see rarely sit and if this were allowed elsewhere at the 'Bok I'm sure it would happen again.

Juewanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Juewanderer » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:47 am

Alien3 wrote:The point of this thread was to ascertain ,why the Reebok is so quiet. I'm not having the fact that we take our kids as an excuse,if that was the case surely all the other grounds would have the same problem! When i go to a match, i actively encourage my son's to get behind our team ...only to glance around and people are glaring at them for doing so. It seems all you're allowed to do is sit there and clap :zzz:

im all for noise, but if I were to jump up and try to join in with a chant thats coming from the NSL or under the scoreboard to get it going around me, i would look and and feel a total fookin bellend!
you see people try it now and again then quickly sit down ashamed, either that or start shouting "get behind yer team yer bunch of miserable shithouses!" you generally never see them again. nobody is arsed these days, so these days neither am I.

Spot on,that's the feeling i get too :D
Never give up on something that you can't go a day without thinking about.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:55 am

H. Pedersen wrote:
jimbo wrote:Pretty sure when I was 4 and being taken to games by my mum and dad that I wasn't overly vocal and passionate. Had a tendency to fall asleep at night matches as well. Maybe they shouldn't have bothered just so the atmsophere didn't suffer too much. Then maybe I'd when I got older I'd have ended up going watching Blackpool with people from school.
Yeah, I mean if my dad hadn't taken me to Mariners games when I was four or five I might have adopted a different baseball team instead of one that has had one good pitcher in the last twenty years and has zero chance of winning the World Series in my lifetime . . .

Haven't watched baseball in a long long time but assume you are referring to Randy Johnson. Now he was scary to watch pitch.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:05 am

Alien3 wrote:

im all for noise, but if I were to jump up and try to join in with a chant thats coming from the NSL or under the scoreboard to get it going around me, i would look and and feel a total fookin bellend!
you see people try it now and again then quickly sit down ashamed, either that or start shouting "get behind yer team yer bunch of miserable shithouses!" you generally never see them again. nobody is arsed these days, so these days neither am I.

Me too. The opposite end of the ESL near the North Stand is stuck in between the numpties with the drums and the NSL and ESL corner competing about who gets a chant started
Pfffft.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:15 am

im all for noise, but if I were to jump up and try to join in with a chant thats coming from the NSL or under the scoreboard to get it going around me, i would look and and feel a total fookin bellend! you see people try it now and again then quickly sit down ashamed, either that or start shouting "get behind yer team yer bunch of miserable shithouses!" you generally never see them again. nobody is arsed these days, so these days neither am I.

Ah. So you've seen me in the NSL then? =P

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:16 am

seanworth wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:

Haven't watched baseball in a long long time but assume you are referring to Randy Johnson. Now he was scary to watch pitch.
Just ask the bird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R-IJ1DOVRg

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:40 am

whats an xbox??

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:40 am

H. Pedersen wrote:
seanworth wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:

Just ask the bird.

What can I say.

Did remember control wasn't his strong point when with Seattle. Something much improved upon later in his career.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:47 am

TKIZ! wrote:
Alien3 wrote:

Me too. The opposite end of the ESL near the North Stand is stuck in between the numpties with the drums and the NSL and ESL corner competing about who gets a chant started
yep thats my spot too.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:45 pm

seanworth wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:
seanworth wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:

Just ask the bird.

What can I say.

Did remember control wasn't his strong point when with Seattle. Something much improved upon later in his career.
Actually he began his career with the Montreal Expos and we traded him for Mark Langston. This did not turn our to be a shrewd move.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:47 pm

Il Pirate wrote:Sweeping generalisations to try and justify someone else's intolerance. Are you saying everyone who has had a xbox is a kid?

whats an xbox??
NO JUST A LITTLE SAD REALLY :mrgreen: