42 Million

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:06 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
East Lower wrote:Redknapp has his trial coming up soon doesn't he?
I was thinking this on the way into work this morning. Talkshite are saying he's almost a shoe-in for the job as the FA want to 'go english' for the next manager.
Back to the long-ball game then! We'd play nicer football with Big Sam in charge
Somehow I don't think thats true.
With better players at his disposal, I think you'd be surprised. He's the best man for the job.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:25 am

East Lower wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
East Lower wrote:Redknapp has his trial coming up soon doesn't he?
I was thinking this on the way into work this morning. Talkshite are saying he's almost a shoe-in for the job as the FA want to 'go english' for the next manager.
Back to the long-ball game then! We'd play nicer football with Big Sam in charge
Somehow I don't think thats true.
With better players at his disposal, I think you'd be surprised. He's the best man for the job.
I'm not saying whether he'd be the best man for the job or not.

But you'll never get better football from Allardyce than you would from Redknapp. Yes 'Arry's teams play direct a lot of the time but nowhere near as direct as Allardyce has his teams set up.

You're right it might be different with "better players" but he didn't change and Newcastle and hasn't changed at Blackburn. My suspicion is he's pretty much fixed in his ideas now.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:26 am

I think it didn't change at Newcastle or Blackburn because he didn't have the players there - I'd love to see him in charge of England, and it was a crime that he was overlooked last time out.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:44 am

East Lower wrote:I think it didn't change at Newcastle or Blackburn because he didn't have the players there - I'd love to see him in charge of England, and it was a crime that he was overlooked last time out.
He spent a fair bit of money at Newcastle building a side that was essentially rammed full of athletic cloggers.

He had a bit of money there and could have gone for something different had he wanted to.

But he didn't.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:10 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
East Lower wrote:I think it didn't change at Newcastle or Blackburn because he didn't have the players there - I'd love to see him in charge of England, and it was a crime that he was overlooked last time out.
He spent a fair bit of money at Newcastle building a side that was essentially rammed full of athletic cloggers.

He had a bit of money there and could have gone for something different had he wanted to.

But he didn't.
I suppose the counter to that is whether he could attract the type of players who could play the better football or not, considering his reputation - in terms of England he'd be able to apply his methods onto better players, whereas in previous jobs Sam had to 'make do' with the players that he could attract/afford.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:18 am

East Lower wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

But he didn't.
I suppose the counter to that is whether he could attract the type of players who could play the better football or not, considering his reputation - in terms of England he'd be able to apply his methods onto better players, whereas in previous jobs Sam had to 'make do' with the players that he could attract/afford.
Coyle hasn't struggled with a far lower budget than Allardyce had at Newcastle.

Sorry as much as I admire Allardyce for the brilliant job he did here, him in the England job would be exactly the same as it was for him at Newcastle. Most fans wouldn't want him, a fair number of players wouldn't either and his stock tactics wouldn't be acceptable to the majority and probably wouldn't be successful for the type of football at international level.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:53 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
thebish wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:I thought the bold text was a giveaway

re Muamba - he was very good under Megson...he's improved under Coyle, but I'd expect that of a young kid

Conversely, it could be argued Cahill has gone backwards
Really? I think his life threatening injury had a little bit to play in him seemingly going backwards. I would say this season though two out three girls conceded have been from Steiner going missing or Knight rather than directly down to Chaill. Just my opinion like, not meaning to pick a fight or owt Caps. :D
girls???? :shock:
Oh, TKIZ!, & so soon after you've stopped having to sign the register !!
Whoops, is that a Fraudian slip? :D

Not on the register any more :D
Pfffft.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:12 pm

42 million quid. I make that a quarter of what Sunderland have spent in the last 4 years to finish in the bottom half/quarter in each of those seasons. Its a sound business model we have compared to other clubs, long may it continue until we are taken over by an Arab billionaire.