DMB Match Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:42 pm

Back to ruffling the big boys feathers...

fingers crossed that we are

BWFC_Wyles
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BWFC_Wyles » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:43 pm

Very pleased with a lot of the players yesterday. The only exceptions were Steinsson and Muamba for me. Once Cahill returns I'd stick Ricketts at RB, I much prefer him. Also Muamba had a bit of a stinker. He is similar to Jimmy Phillips..... NERVOUS on the ball.

Holden, Elmo, Petrov, Knight & Davo were fantastic. Very pleased how easily Holden has slipped into the midfield and is now a regular.

Michael Owen......how I'd love him in our team!
"Anything else you'd like? How about real lead in the radiation shields? Urinal cakes, maybe?"

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:45 pm

seanworth wrote:
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:Yea Robinson is definitely better than our previous, but his attempt at a header for Owens goal was laughable. Heading is not his A-Game.
No but it seems to be Owens A-game against our side. I believe his last two goals against us have been headers. Oh the shame.
I think you're both doing Owen's heading a disservice, to be a bit picky.

He scores quite a few with his head - particularly for a striker so short. That's mainly down to two things - his movement is excellent, which means that he often has more time and space to pick a spot; and he can get off the ground fantastically well, which means that he's able to hang in the air and divert the ball well. The goal yesterday was certainly more due former, but the fact he was able to divert it into the one spot of the goal that wasn't covered was down to the ability brought on by the latter.

He's the sort of anti-Crouch - Shorty learnt/got taught how to jump for headers at a young age because he had to, for some reason Beanpole didn't need to learn/be taught because it bounced off his altitude-based head.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:46 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:In retrospect: Having seen the Elmander missed opportunity replay several times it does focus on there never having been a better chance to beat United. He really did play well and his setting up for it was superb; unfortunately, the finish was awful. I can't think of one of our forward players who wouldn't have put that one away. Klasnic would have killed it, I'd have backed KD, Lee or Petrove to slot it home rather than try to blast it from six yards. It only needed a prod. This isn't a moan, Elmander is playing out of his skin, but what might have been with just a bit of composure. 3-1 up and it could have been all over. No doubt OC will show him the replays and he'll learn. This one could well be the seasons "One that got away" being kind, or miss of the season otherwise. Fantastic result, but can't help feeling a bit cheated this morning.
Maybe Klasnic or Davies would have finished it.. But they wouldn't have created it for themselves in the first place. He's the only forward who can genuinely skin his marker.. But as has been said, If he could combine his finishing with his ability he'd be a Worldy!

The 3rd chance was the most difficult and he wasn't far away, but I think the 1st one presented to him from the cross that missed everybody was the biggest one of all.. And he completely missed the ball!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:46 pm

Watching the highlights on telly got me thinking, I was moaning about bloody Elmander again, missing gold edged chances and not even getting one on target when this thinking started (a rare thing for me indeed), if someone was watching this game and had no previous knowledge of the players, teams etc....between Rooney, Berbywotsit and Elmander who would they think was the best striker?

Easy choice really so I may start to give Elmander a chance :)
My dog (proper 57) had his anal glands emptied once and yes the smell is something to behold!!

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:47 pm

Oh, one other thing - I'm extremely proud to be a Wanderer today. It's been a while since I felt like that.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:48 pm

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:
seanworth wrote:
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:Yea Robinson is definitely better than our previous, but his attempt at a header for Owens goal was laughable. Heading is not his A-Game.
No but it seems to be Owens A-game against our side. I believe his last two goals against us have been headers. Oh the shame.
I think you're both doing Owen's heading a disservice, to be a bit picky.

He scores quite a few with his head - particularly for a striker so short. That's mainly down to two things - his movement is excellent, which means that he often has more time and space to pick a spot; and he can get off the ground fantastically well, which means that he's able to hang in the air and divert the ball well. The goal yesterday was certainly more due former, but the fact he was able to divert it into the one spot of the goal that wasn't covered was down to the ability brought on by the latter.

He's the sort of anti-Crouch - Shorty learnt/got taught how to jump for headers at a young age because he had to, for some reason Beanpole didn't need to learn/be taught because it bounced off his altitude-based head.
All spot on, but you've missed the fact that his actual technique when heading is spot on, always on target and always directed into an area that is almost impossible for a keeper to save, without having a major piece of luck.. Similar to Scholes and Tim Cahill
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:50 pm

I wanted to convey that view when mentioning the "divert the ball well" bit. That's my wording for you. Sorry.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:51 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:In retrospect: Having seen the Elmander missed opportunity replay several times it does focus on there never having been a better chance to beat United. He really did play well and his setting up for it was superb; unfortunately, the finish was awful. I can't think of one of our forward players who wouldn't have put that one away. Klasnic would have killed it, I'd have backed KD, Lee or Petrove to slot it home rather than try to blast it from six yards. It only needed a prod. This isn't a moan, Elmander is playing out of his skin, but what might have been with just a bit of composure. 3-1 up and it could have been all over. No doubt OC will show him the replays and he'll learn. This one could well be the seasons "One that got away" being kind, or miss of the season otherwise. Fantastic result, but can't help feeling a bit cheated this morning.
As I said yesterday in the first half hour UTD could have been out of sight. Almost immediately from the start Berbatov only had to roll the ball across the box and Giggs had a tap in. They had other chances. Yes it was a great chance to go 3-1 up but the UTD fans will be rueing their early misses too.

As for the "miss" its fine saying "all our other players would have scored it" (though I disagree as they've all been guilty of misses as well) but how many of them would have had the skill and ability to get in the position in the first place? No way could KD flick it past Vidic like that and Lee wouldn't have the strength. The less said about Klasnic after Burnley the better.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
As I said yesterday in the first half hour UTD could have been out of sight. Almost immediately from the start Berbatov only had to roll the ball across the box and Giggs had a tap in. They had other chances. Yes it was a great chance to go 3-1 up but the UTD fans will be rueing their early misses too.

As for the "miss" its fine saying "all our other players would have scored it" (though I disagree as they've all been guilty of misses as well) but how many of them would have had the skill and ability to get in the position in the first place? No way could KD flick it past Vidic like that and Lee wouldn't have the strength. The less said about Klasnic after Burnley the better.
Not arguing, just disappointed and I did say his setting up of it was superb.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:17 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:Gets done for pace and by trickery far too often to be our best. Certainly no better than any of the rest of our back four. Pumps his fists, shouts and scowls a lot though, so kudos.
Who? Steinsson?
I think that was the point I was making.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:48 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
William the White wrote:Between Knight and Elmander for MotM for me - with Knight edging it
I really don't get this. In the moments that really mattered Knight may as well have produced a basket of rose petals to toss at Nani's feet and Elmander, for him not to at least put his embarrassing effort on target was unforgivable. Absolute shit.
Are the scoring the first and setting up the second (and nigh on every other chance we created) not counted as 'moments that really mattered'?

I get the frustration with Elmander, but to pick him out for criticism over players that didn't get into those positions or create those chances seems like... well as you said, absolute shit.

As for Zat, I know you thought he was shite last week (I didn't go, didn't see it, I'm sure he was), but again I'm not sure how you can fault him for yesterday. Up against one of the most expensive front-lines around, with a suprisingly poor Muamba and three full-backs (all of whom are questionable defensively, although I happen to think they're alright for the level we're at) I thought he was outstanding.

You mentioned 'key moments', without Zat yesterday there would've been a lot more key moments to talk about because United would've got a hatful. Similarly, take Elmander out and there's a lot less key moments for us because every single attack went through him, or was created by him on his own.

Bruno3
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Bruno3 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:51 pm

Will probably get shot down in flames for this but.... I don't like Cahill and Knight playing together. They are both too similar in that they want to be the first man going for the ball. This often leaves no one left to tidy things up if they don't win it cleanly. I thought Knight playing the lead with Ricketts doing the tidying up worked better than anything we've had recently (and also when Cahill was out injured last season. So...... I suggest Cahill on the bench. I am now putting the tin hat on!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:53 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
William the White wrote:Between Knight and Elmander for MotM for me - with Knight edging it
I really don't get this. In the moments that really mattered Knight may as well have produced a basket of rose petals to toss at Nani's feet and Elmander, for him not to at least put his embarrassing effort on target was unforgivable. Absolute shit.
Are the scoring the first and setting up the second (and nigh on every other chance we created) not counted as 'moments that really mattered'?

I get the frustration with Elmander, but to pick him out for criticism over players that didn't get into those positions or create those chances seems like... well as you said, absolute shit.

As for Zat, I know you thought he was shite last week (I didn't go, didn't see it, I'm sure he was), but again I'm not sure how you can fault him for yesterday. Up against one of the most expensive front-lines around, with a suprisingly poor Muamba and three full-backs (all of whom are questionable defensively, although I happen to think they're alright for the level we're at) I thought he was outstanding.

You mentioned 'key moments', without Zat yesterday there would've been a lot more key moments to talk about because United would've got a hatful. Similarly, take Elmander out and there's a lot less key moments for us because every single attack went through him, or was created by him on his own.
Agree with that Tom although dismissing Ricketts like that is a bit unfair. He makes Knight look a better player.

Personally I'd stick with him and Knight for now and leave Cahill out. Don't think Owen will though!

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:21 pm

Surprised to see the PA gave Robinson MOM ahead of Nani and Elmander!
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

beer_swiller
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by beer_swiller » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:28 pm

Once again those imbeciles in the corner came out with the Munich chants. Whilst I hate Manure with a passion I deplore such disgusting chants. Those brain deads from that corner of the ground are the same dead heads ho chanted religious songs when Hibernian came for Jussis testamonial but turned softies when approached by their fans. That day decent folk got caught up in the trouble but the softies had fecked off. By all means support your team, have the banter with the opposition but chanting songs as such causes more trouble that it`s worth..
Denn

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:31 pm

Bruno3 wrote:Will probably get shot down in flames for this but.... I don't like Cahill and Knight playing together. They are both too similar in that they want to be the first man going for the ball. This often leaves no one left to tidy things up if they don't win it cleanly. I thought Knight playing the lead with Ricketts doing the tidying up worked better than anything we've had recently (and also when Cahill was out injured last season. So...... I suggest Cahill on the bench. I am now putting the tin hat on!
I agree. We look the most secure when Ricketts plays. He is the attributes to be a great CH; two footed, quick, reads the game well, and he seems to have that combination of awareness and composure that the best players in that position have. Maybe Cahill and Ricketts will be the best combination eventually.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:34 pm

United fan at work says we 'resorted to type and played long ball for the majority of the game' now I dispute this but have no facts to back that up. Anyone know I handy site besides Opta stats that I could prove this scum bag a point. I'd hazard a guess we played about 50/50 long and short passes
Pfffft.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:37 pm

TKIZ! wrote:United fan at work says we 'resorted to type and played long ball for the majority of the game' now I dispute this but have no facts to back that up. Anyone know I handy site besides Opta stats that I could prove this scum bag a point. I'd hazard a guess we played about 50/50 long and short passes
You don't need stats. Just play him our second goal, a beautiful flowing, electric counter attack.

Then show him theirs. Long free kick pumped into the box and a header in. Ugly long ball set piece desperate football. When the ball is in the air as much as they put it up there what are you meant to do "shoot it down"?

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:49 pm

:D

He says that showing one goal doesn't change the fact that it was still a long ball affair yesterday. I need cold hard facts. Sorry I don't want a disciplinary for chinning the smug, arrogant see you next tuesday but ihe's close to it
Pfffft.