Strangest place you've watched the Whites

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Strangest place you've watched the Whites

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:27 pm

On the night of Heysel, I was in Willows Lane Park watching a reserve team play a charity match on a gravel pitch, but I can beat that

1984, I watched us play here

http://moyolapark-fc.com/xcx07/index.ph ... &Itemid=48

It was in the private grounds of a country house

The pitch was in a bit of a clearing in the trees

There were no stands and armed cops/police patrolled the trees
Moyola Park will entertain Cliftonville FC on 23rd May 2009 to bring down the curtain on 129 years of football in the famous Moyola Park which is one of the oldest grounds in the World.

Club Chairman Robin Martin said “This will be a very sad day for all involved with Moyola Park either past or present and also football in general”.

Numerous teams have played in the Park including some from across the water which included, Queens Park, Airdrie, Raith Rovers, St Mirren and Bolton Wanderers, along with local clubs such as Linfield, Glentoran, Derry City, Coleraine and the first team to grace the hallowed turf, Cliftonville. Other teams to play in the Park in the famous Garvin cup where Shankill Strollers and Derry Harps to name but a few.
A few days earlier, I'd been to Windsor Park and got a severe bollocking for having driven down The Falls with mainland plates
Sto ut Serviam

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:31 pm

Skopje. Well I say watched, I know I was there.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Strangest place you've watched the Whites

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:52 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:On the night of Heysel, I was in Willows Lane Park watching a reserve team play a charity match on a gravel pitch
We used to play Brandwood Street on that, absolutely hated it. They always used to beat us on it and I always used to end up with blood running down my shins. We mullered them on grass though. :wink:

Anyway. Borgas.
May the bridges I burn light your way

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:16 pm

Does Gigg Lane count as a strange place?

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:31 pm

ratbert wrote:Does Gigg Lane count as a strange place?
Bugger! I was just going to type that!
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:42 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:On the night of Heysel, I was in Willows Lane Park watching a reserve team play a charity match on a gravel pitch
We used to play Brandwood Street on that, absolutely hated it. They always used to beat us on it and I always used to end up with blood running down my shins. We mullered them on grass though. :wink:

Anyway. Borgas.
I'll give you Bourgas

Skopje could've been anywhere, any one of loads of games I've been to

Being on the beach in 80degree heat pre match was 'different'
Sto ut Serviam

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:02 pm

Pre-season friendly against Lyngby in Denmark in July 2000.

A beautiful summer's afternoon, with an endless supply of beer and hot dogs from a van parked at the top of the terrace. A trip to the so-called free state of Cristiana the previous day for smoking "supplies" ensured a mellow mood....

Team made up of mostly trialists & reserves were greeted by "who are ya?" from the few dozen Bolton fans there. Lost 6-0, but a great day out in an obscure Copenhagen suburb.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

spraggy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by spraggy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:19 pm

I remember listening to the FA cup quarter final v Charlton on a shortwave radio on the roof of a hotel in Pokhara, Nepal. Happy days!

(I've just re-read the thread and this doesn't really count - woops!)
Last edited by spraggy on Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:36 pm

Directly behind a support at Goodison. Spent the whole match doing a Harry Worth impersonation and saw next to fxxk all of the game.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:45 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Directly behind a support at Goodison. Spent the whole match doing a Harry Worth impersonation and saw next to fxxk all of the game.
Perhaps Harry Worth in the shop window references
may be lost on our younger readers, TD, unless there are re-runs or he was active longer than I thought.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:54 pm

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Juewanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Juewanderer » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:49 pm

I'm not sure this counts as it was our reserves , but i was unfortunate enough to be in attendance for Fleetwood V Bolton pre-season game(which Bolton lost) ..... Seemed like the logical thing to do with me living in Blackpool, how wrong could i be. There was about ten Wanderers there and it was like a scene from Village of the dammed, everytime i glanced around i found i was being glared at.

I ended up escaping at half time feeling lucky to be in one piece...all in all ,not a good experience :evil:
Never give up on something that you can't go a day without thinking about.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:13 pm

Northampton away on the last day of the 1988/89 season was a bit odd. They shared the ground with the cricket team and had already removed one of the stands running the length of the pitch in preparation. It seemed odd watching professionals ducking under a rope to pick the ball up on a bit of open park land.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

marshall_42
Promising
Promising

Post by marshall_42 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:49 am

CAPSLOCK wrote:On the night of Heysel, I was in Willows Lane Park watching a reserve team play a charity match on a gravel pitch, but I can beat that

1984, I watched us play here

http://moyolapark-fc.com/xcx07/index.ph ... &Itemid=48

It was in the private grounds of a country house

The pitch was in a bit of a clearing in the trees

There were no stands and armed cops/police patrolled the trees
Moyola Park will entertain Cliftonville FC on 23rd May 2009 to bring down the curtain on 129 years of football in the famous Moyola Park which is one of the oldest grounds in the World.

Club Chairman Robin Martin said “This will be a very sad day for all involved with Moyola Park either past or present and also football in general”.

Numerous teams have played in the Park including some from across the water which included, Queens Park, Airdrie, Raith Rovers, St Mirren and Bolton Wanderers, along with local clubs such as Linfield, Glentoran, Derry City, Coleraine and the first team to grace the hallowed turf, Cliftonville. Other teams to play in the Park in the famous Garvin cup where Shankill Strollers and Derry Harps to name but a few.
A few days earlier, I'd been to Windsor Park and got a severe bollocking for having driven down The Falls with mainland plates
Nothing wrong driving in Belfast with French plates...unless of course you meant plates from the adjacent island close to the mainland?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:40 am

In a bar in Ashkelon, Israel, just 5m from the Gaza border, with Helicopter gunships overhead and anti-diver speedboats at sea as we beat Spurs a good few years ago.

Funny ... you know how DSpurs have a lot of Jeswish fans ? Well ..... a lot of unhappy locals as we won.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:58 am

im fairly wet behind the ears for this kind of stuff, but Serbia was pretty fookin strange!

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:05 pm

I understand this is supposed to be watching live but regardless I remember watching Bolton vs Chelsea in 98 while in an outside bar in Mae Sot on the Burmese border. Back then it was rare to catch a Bolton game in Thailand. The excitement turned into depression though with the result. At that time I felt we would never go up again and the chance to watch Bolton again seemed very remote, a bit like where I was. To top it off it was 7 days later that I came down with dengue.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:49 pm

seanworth wrote:I understand this is supposed to be watching live but regardless I remember watching Bolton vs Chelsea in 98 while in an outside bar in Mae Sot on the Burmese border. Back then it was rare to catch a Bolton game in Thailand. The excitement turned into depression though with the result. At that time I felt we would never go up again and the chance to watch Bolton again seemed very remote, a bit like where I was. To top it off it was 7 days later that I came down with dengue.
If we are allowed this - and i don't see why not - I watched the home defeat by wolves at the end of 1977, mentioned by Worthy in another thread, in a house made of mud bricks in Omdurman. It had a camel tied up outside that kept making camel noises (do camels bray, and, if not, what do they do?) which I accompanied by groans of despair as promotion disappeared over the horizon until camel and i were the cacophony twins...

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:14 pm

William the White wrote:
seanworth wrote:I understand this is supposed to be watching live but regardless I remember watching Bolton vs Chelsea in 98 while in an outside bar in Mae Sot on the Burmese border. Back then it was rare to catch a Bolton game in Thailand. The excitement turned into depression though with the result. At that time I felt we would never go up again and the chance to watch Bolton again seemed very remote, a bit like where I was. To top it off it was 7 days later that I came down with dengue.
If we are allowed this - and i don't see why not - I watched the home defeat by wolves at the end of 1977, mentioned by Worthy in another thread, in a house made of mud bricks in Omdurman. It had a camel tied up outside that kept making camel noises (do camels bray, and, if not, what do they do?) which I accompanied by groans of despair as promotion disappeared over the horizon until camel and i were the cacophony twins...
Now that's impressive and during the 70's no less. Were you simply traveling or working?

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:22 pm

Or option 3 - striking
Sto ut Serviam