Questions from a Toffee to the Trotters

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Matt The Toffee
Hopeful
Hopeful

Questions from a Toffee to the Trotters

Post by Matt The Toffee » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:38 pm

Hi guys, congrats on the win yesterday! First of all, i come in peace. I go around opposition websites to ask 5 simple questions and get some feedback to post on my home forum for our match day thread. Only just started doing this but anyway, here we go:

1/ Ive liked Coyle for a while and think hes a good manager. But do you think he is good enough to take you to the next level?

2/ Danger men - who should we be looking out for and who are you worried about?

3/ If you could nab 3 of our players, who would they be?

4/ Do you expect any transfer activity in the January transfer window? If so, which area do you think you will try to improve on?

5/ The easiest question, following your victory against spurs, what do you think the score will be at Goodison?

Thanks for your time guys, all the best for the rest of the season, starting thursday morning of course!

Randy Watson
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Questions from a Toffee to the Trotters

Post by Randy Watson » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:03 pm

Matt The Toffee wrote:Hi guys, congrats on the win yesterday! First of all, i come in peace. I go around opposition websites to ask 5 simple questions and get some feedback to post on my home forum for our match day thread. Only just started doing this but anyway, here we go:

1/ Ive liked Coyle for a while and think hes a good manager. But do you think he is good enough to take you to the next level?

4/ Do you expect any transfer activity in the January transfer window? If so, which area do you think you will try to improve on?

5/ The easiest question, following your victory against spurs, what do you think the score will be at Goodison?

Thanks for your time guys, all the best for the rest of the season, starting thursday morning of course!
1/ Simply Yes. Europeon tour on the horizon.

2/ Stuart Holden is on top form passes well, never losses a tackle. Elmander is on top form away from home, of course Kevin Davies, a handfull to any defence.

3/ I'd have Arteta, Cahill, Jagielka and possibly Baines(although a wigan reject).

4/ Don't expect any movement, I'm happy with the squad but we could do with a better quality right back maybe a central playmaker with some skill.

5/ Not expecting to get owt special at your place maybe 1-0 or 1-1. Elmander bagging our goal.

Allthe best mate. What about those questions from your point of veiw????
Give a hand to my band… Sexual Chocolate

They play so fine don't you agree!

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:05 pm

How do, be a good scrap on Weds I should think. Answers as thus. PS - other contributors who ask us questions leave us cake, and beer and stuff. What you got?

Anyway

1 - he is, but I think it will take a couple of seasons yet to get the club re-moulded into what he wants it to be. This is a club which had it's infrustructure decimated by a minimalist Gary Megson

2 - We've employed Davies and Elmander as a 2 this season, and the big men have been strutting about giving centre halves a good old torrid game. You can expect that. We've also go t a much improved bench, so if it's tight or we're behind, we do have players like Rodrigo and Petrov to call upon.

3 - I think Arteta's been a great player for you and would improve most midfields in the Premier League. Baines is one of the better left backs out there, and would improve us and finally Tim Cahill.

4 - We never get our hopes raised too much because Coyle has done all his business quite quietly. We don't have much money, and I don't really see what the point would be in spending it in January this time out unless we'd had injuries.

5 - it's got 0-0 all over it :-)

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:05 pm

The next level for us would be back to where we were 3 or so years ago. A top 8 finish and possibly, just possibly, a Europa Cup place. Early days still but the confidence does seem to be coming back. But there's a lot of competition in that area.

Elmander seems to be our best scoring prospect away. Holden continues to improve. On our day, they're all a danger.

I thought stealing was a Scouse pastime? :wink: Jagielka, Pienaar and Cahill (to balance out the Davies's we have)

We don't have much money so it would depend who leaves (expect media speculation over Cahill (G) and Barcelona coming in for Davies. (Joke)

Not the best of hunting grounds for us recently. Draw.

Thanks for your time guys, all the best for the rest of the season, starting thursday morning of course! De nada.

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:10 pm

The next level - being top 10/ UEFA? I think he is good enough, but can't see it happening this season. I don't have those expectations, I would just like us to build on a secure Premier League top-14 situation.

I don't have to mention Super Kev, but I think you better watch out for our Cahill too.
I'm worried about Tim Cahill and Arteta.

Arteta, Jagielka and Cahill.

I don't expect much, maybe some decent defensive back up.

I said 2-1 to the Wanderers in the other thread, but really it's hopeful more than anything. Will be a v. tough match for us.

Matt The Toffee
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Matt The Toffee » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:41 pm

Randy Watson wrote:
Matt The Toffee wrote:Hi guys, congrats on the win yesterday! First of all, i come in peace. I go around opposition websites to ask 5 simple questions and get some feedback to post on my home forum for our match day thread. Only just started doing this but anyway, here we go:

2/ Stuart Holden is on top form passes well, never losses a tackle. Elmander is on top form away from home, of course Kevin Davies, a handfull to any defence.

3/ I'd have Arteta, Cahill, Jagielka and possibly Baines(although a wigan reject).

4/ Don't expect any movement, I'm happy with the squad but we could do with a better quality right back maybe a central playmaker with some skill.

5/ Not expecting to get owt special at your place maybe 1-0 or 1-1. Elmander bagging our goal.

Cheers mate. For me....

1/ Given time Coyle can make it happen for you, he is a good manager. Its a bit worrying that because there is already so much competition for european places! I think the we are missing the same thing and thats investment. We have good managers, we have good teams but both need that little bit more.

2/ Skippy (our Cahill) feeding off crosses from Baines is a nightmare for most teams and at the moment our biggest threat. Hopefully Yak has found his shooting boots (im not his biggest fan though) and Pienaar is coming back to form. Trouble for us is, shut down Baines and we basically stop attacking, we just play hoofball

3/ Ive not seen you guys play much this year, but i remember seeing Lee playing last season, hes a good skillful player. Elmander is doing well, a striker who knows how to score would be useful for us! Cahill would be my other choice to give some real competition for jags and distin.

4/ Hopefully Landon Donovan back on loan otherwise i dont see anything, we just dont have any money.

5/ You buggers are always a difficult team to break down. Im hoping for a win but its going to be a fingernail fest. I will be happy if this game makes us 7 unbeaten!

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:48 pm

It's certainly starting to look that way. Still early stages as yet but things are looking promising.

Super Kev, Elmander.
Arteta/

Arteta, Jagielka and Cahill.

Thnk there will be moves for our Cahill and possibly Lee. If we can hold those posible bids off I doubt we will do much.

Has draw written all over it.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:53 pm

Hi Matt,

"The next level" is a little abiguous really. Most on here would describe it by dint of us qualifying for Europe again etc. Given that under Megson the be-all-and-end-all was securing 17th place with a series of 0-0 draws then I'd say that the next level is regaining a level of comfort within the league. Is Coyle capable of that? In spades, my friend.

I reckon that Davies v Jagielka will be worth the entrance fee alone, but whilst that's going on you'll need to keep an eye on Elmander, who's playing out of his skin under Coyle. Who are we worried about? Tim Cahill, every time.

Cahill, Baines and Arteta

Yes, we'll be having Cahill, Baines and Arteta. Do keep up. :wink:

A point at Goodison is a very good point indeed. A good scrap this, I reckon. 1-1.

By the way, whilst I'm on, I have this book here entitled Scally by a guy called Andy Nicholls. If you see him, can you tell him from me that he's a complete and absolute wanker, and that no amount of pseudo-apologetic yet ultimately self-glorifying prose will ever repair the damage that he and his obsequious retinue did to the game? Cheers.
May the bridges I burn light your way

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:39 pm

He already has. There's no relegation scrap for us this season. All I ask for now is a long reign with him, with continued faith by the fans, and some stability in this team. And it looks like we're going that way.

You should look out for our sweeper. Goes by the name of Umberto Nonce (pronounced 'Nonsay' - Paraguayan). He's 3 foot 2, but can bloody jump. Also, be aware that we play with two keepers - one to guard the six yard box, and another to patrol the rest of the area.

I'm worried about people taking the above paragraph seriously.

Baines, cos we need a left back who isn't a disciplinary hearing waiting to happen. Arteta feels like he's been around years, so adept to controlling a game that he is. And I don't care how injury prone he is, or that he's so alike Kev Davies, I love watching Yakubu play. Such a handful.

I should imagine so, although it's hard to say exactly what we should look to improve on during this patch. I'd like a natural goalscorer, but we have works in progress and reinvigorated strikers currently in session. Bolton fans have craved the mythical creative midfielder for yonks, but we're creating enough chance to be getting on with at present. We have quality goalkeepers coming out of our ears. I suppose a couple of better full backs than at present might be a nice addition, although I don't expect that to happen anytime soon.

Haven't a scooby. Maybe 1-1.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:37 pm

Randy Watson wrote:

why dont you just suck him off?

why dont you just suck him off?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:10 pm

Matt The Toffee wrote: 1/ Ive liked Coyle for a while and think hes a good manager. But do you think he is good enough to take you to the next level?
The next level tends to be squillions of debt and under achieving high earners (see your neighbours :wink: ), so I'm happy with mid table

Look out for Holden. He's due a goal to top off some great performances. Your midfield trio of Cahill, Arteta & Pienaar look a real threat to most teams

Them three above

I'd like to see a pacy goalscorer, but who can afford them these days?

We dont tend to do successive victories, so I'd be delighted with a draw

"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:49 am

1) He's good enough to take us into Europe again, but we don't have enough money to buy the players to compete for Europe in my opinion. But he's definitely good enough to keep us in mid table which is the best we can expect on our budget.

2) Everyone on his day, but Elmander scores away so I guess he's the one.

3) As everyone else has said Arteta, Cahill and Jagielka (good English name there!)

4) As always it has to be a creative midfielder and a fast striker, but we can't afford either so no I doubt if we will get anyone, unless someone like Okocha is going on a free.

5) You totally out play us for 93 mins, you hit the woodwork 10 times and we win 1-0 with a penalty in the 4th minute of injury time! Easy win for us I guess.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:49 am

Yes, he's better than Moyes

Davies, Lee, Petrov, Muamba, Holden, Cahill - I'm worried about your shitbag fans appealing for everything and a dense ref falling for it.

Cahill or Arteta. Rest are no better than ours

Two new full backs would be nice, and a new striker.

4-0 to Bolton.

Arteta422
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Arteta422 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:57 pm

East Lower wrote:[

lol seroiusly?

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:45 pm

Arteta422 wrote:

lol seroiusly?
For the most part, I agree with East.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:14 pm

Arteta422 wrote:

lol seroiusly?
He missed Baines, but otherwise, yep.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:15 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Arteta422 wrote:

lol seroiusly?
And I'd swap Jagielka for Knight any day.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:18 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Arteta422 wrote:

lol seroiusly?
Aye, but in a straight comparison, shirely it's their good un Jagielka vs our good un Cahill, and their shithouse donkey Distin against ours? That's how these comparison things work in my head anyway :D
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:17 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Arteta422 wrote:

lol seroiusly?
Aye, but in a straight comparison, shirely it's their good un Jagielka vs our good un Cahill, and their shithouse donkey Distin against ours? That's how these comparison things work in my head anyway :D
Can someone call for a steward? :D

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:13 pm

Is this the bit where i say "brought peace?"?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.