Holden and Mavies?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

User avatar
Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12699
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 12:45 am
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: Holden and Mavies?

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:30 pm

boltonboris wrote:At the expense of which forward HP?
It would have to be Elmander because you don't want a pissed off Kev in the locker room....
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Eire_Trotter
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 229
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:00 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Holden and Mavies?

Post by Eire_Trotter » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:01 pm

This is a great argument! :D

I would go with our usual pairing of Holden/Muamba as it has brought us our great results of late, Spurs, Newcastle etc.

Should we gain a lead in the second half at any time I would swap a striker for Mavies which would allow us to shore up the midfield without sitting back entirely.

But hey, who's to say we're even gonna take the lead. Sure if we nick a point this will be me >>>>>> :pissed:

officer_dibble
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8540
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Holden and Mavies?

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 pm

boltonboris wrote:At the expense of which forward HP?
I know it won't happen but we could try dropping Chungy
Holden or Mavies on the right
Seems a bit of a shoe horn situation I suppose
But saying that if Lee was injured it would be Davies I would bring in

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2435
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:56 am
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Holden and Mavies?

Post by H. Pedersen » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:11 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
boltonboris wrote:At the expense of which forward HP?
It would have to be Elmander because you don't want a pissed off Kev in the locker room....
I was just wondering out loud really. City's back line is shaky and would be vulnerable to both Davies' aerial prowess and Elmander's skill on the ground. I think Coyle will stick with 4-4-2.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 15355
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:42 pm
Location: Vagantes numquam erramus

Re: Holden and Mavies?

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:13 pm

Leave it as is. Holden back in. Its worked so far, I'm guessing if it doesn't work on saturday its more to do with the 17 bazillion quid that City have spent than any intrinsic shiteness we may have.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

William the White
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8454
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:43 pm
Location: Trotter Shop

Re: Holden and Mavies?

Post by William the White » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:35 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Leave it as is. Holden back in. Its worked so far, I'm guessing if it doesn't work on saturday its more to do with the 17 bazillion quid that City have spent than any intrinsic shiteness we may have.
Taken as a whole - yes.

But the vast majority of managers facing this side away would take the road of caution, there'd be one up front and five in midfield...

I'm with you - don't do it... and let's see how we compete...

Is this just bravado?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 15355
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:42 pm
Location: Vagantes numquam erramus

Re: Holden and Mavies?

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:37 pm

I like Coyle's balls out approach.

We will come a cropper for it now and then. As I've said before, it reminds me of BR's time. Yes we'll probably get thumped for it every so often. But its worth it. We can dream.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

William the White
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8454
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:43 pm
Location: Trotter Shop

Re: Holden and Mavies?

Post by William the White » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:44 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:I like Coyle's balls out approach.

We will come a cropper for it now and then. As I've said before, it reminds me of BR's time. Yes we'll probably get thumped for it every so often. But its worth it. We can dream.
Yep. :D :D :D

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 17247
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Holden and Mavies?

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:21 pm

If Coyle did protect a lead by substituting a striker for a midfielder, would that be the first time he's done so as a Bolton manager? I can only ever remember like-for-likes or positive substitutions - like I say his bench is usually one goalkeeper, one defender and five midfielder/forwards...

Not that it'd be wrong to hold-what-we-have, but it'd be unusual...

One other thing: we can play the "4-4-2" system but switch positions around to stiffen midfield... like at Arsenal where for a spell Elmo & KD dropped deep and wide while Chungy played as a lone striker... mind, that's one of only two games we've lost and it's December tomorrow...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23359
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Holden and Mavies?

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:11 am

H. Pedersen wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
boltonboris wrote:At the expense of which forward HP?
It would have to be Elmander because you don't want a pissed off Kev in the locker room....
I was just wondering out loud really. City's back line is shaky and would be vulnerable to both Davies' aerial prowess and Elmander's skill on the ground. I think Coyle will stick with 4-4-2.
Maybe, but defensively, they're second tightest in the Prem having only conceded 12 goals...and 7 clean sheets...and only 5 goals conceded at home, 3 of which were against Arsenal when they were down to 10 men after 5 minutes.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 15355
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:42 pm
Location: Vagantes numquam erramus

Re: Holden and Mavies?

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:22 am

So you're saying we'll score 4 then?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38508
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: Holden and Mavies?

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:47 am

We need Muamba to sit on Tevez for 90 minutes. If they're going to score my money's on him to be the one to do it.
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7416
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: Holden and Mavies?

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:25 am

TANGODANCER wrote:We need Muamba to sit on Tevez for 90 minutes. If they're going to score my money's on him to be the one to do it.
Holden and Mark Davies is a pretty poor option, in my opinion. Holden can do some of the harrying and hassling but I doubt whether he can keep it up for the full 90, and whilst Marky D might be decent at carrying the ball I remain unconvinced by him. I'd be loathe to tamper with a winning formula. Therefore I totally agree with the above post, we need to keep the snood-wearing ugly bell-end in Fabrice's pocket if we're to stand any chance.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12994
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:27 pm

Re: Holden and Mavies?

Post by boltonboris » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:09 pm

East Lower wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:We need Muamba to sit on Tevez for 90 minutes. If they're going to score my money's on him to be the one to do it.
Holden and Mark Davies is a pretty poor option, in my opinion. Holden can do some of the harrying and hassling but I doubt whether he can keep it up for the full 90, and whilst Marky D might be decent at carrying the ball I remain unconvinced by him. I'd be loathe to tamper with a winning formula. Therefore I totally agree with the above post, we need to keep the snood-wearing ugly bell-end in Fabrice's pocket if we're to stand any chance.
In which case we need to drop a striker and play another midfielder. Otherwise it'd be Holden v Barry, De Jong and anyone of Milner, Vieira and Yaya Toure

Gulp
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7042
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:36 am
Location: HULL, BABY!
Contact:

Re: Holden and Mavies?

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:52 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:We need Muamba to sit on Tevez for 90 minutes. If they're going to score my money's on him to be the one to do it.

You want a defensive midfielder to sit on a striker???
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

bw@bw
Promising
Promising
Posts: 433
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:43 pm
Location: midlands

Re: Holden and Mavies?

Post by bw@bw » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:21 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
boltonboris wrote:At the expense of which forward HP?
It would have to be Elmander because you don't want a pissed off Kev in the locker room....
I was just wondering out loud really. City's back line is shaky and would be vulnerable to both Davies' aerial prowess and Elmander's skill on the ground. I think Coyle will stick with 4-4-2.

So shaky that only Chelsea have conceded less
What goes around may still come around

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7416
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: Holden and Mavies?

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:26 am

Kolo the clown has a mistake per match in him at the moment, let's hope our boys can take advantage

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23359
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Holden and Mavies?

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:14 am

Lord Kangana wrote:So you're saying we'll score 4 then?
I think the Bard mentioned - and I agree - one in the 94th minute after they've hit the woodwork 15 times and not managed to get the ball over the line, will do quite nicely thank you.

seanworth
Icon
Icon
Posts: 4049
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:07 pm
Location: thailand/canada

Re: Holden and Mavies?

Post by seanworth » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:16 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:So you're saying we'll score 4 then?
I think the Bard mentioned - and I agree - one in the 94th minute after they've hit the woodwork 15 times and not managed to get the ball over the line, will do quite nicely thank you.
As long as its a questionable penalty.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 37588
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:01 am
Location: In my armchair

Re: Holden and Mavies?

Post by thebish » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:30 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:So you're saying we'll score 4 then?
I think the Bard mentioned - and I agree - one in the 94th minute after they've hit the woodwork 15 times and not managed to get the ball over the line, will do quite nicely thank you.

that game was one of my favourite results EVER! happy days! 8)
Some people are like Slinkies … not really good for anything, but you can’t help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests