Christmas Slump

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Re: Christmas Slump

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:27 am

Christ, that BWFC Insane character is a real hoot isn't he

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:55 am

TANGODANCER wrote:If we have any aspirations about a top-half finish we have to go into every game thinkig we can win it. We may not do it, but we have to believe we can or we're back to relegation dodging. We're better than that.

the players do - yes, i agree - but surely that doesn't extend to fans predicting stuff on a forum??

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:02 am

thebish wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:If we have any aspirations about a top-half finish we have to go into every game thinkig we can win it. We may not do it, but we have to believe we can or we're back to relegation dodging. We're better than that.
the players do - yes, i agree - but surely that doesn't extend to fans predicting stuff on a forum??[/quote]

C'mon Bish. Half the bloody threads on here are about predicting stuff.

It'd be a bit tame if it wasn't.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:15 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
thebish wrote:
the players do - yes, i agree - but surely that doesn't extend to fans predicting stuff on a forum??[/quote]

eh?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:28 am

thebish wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
thebish wrote:

eh?
Have I missed the point? You were pulling TD up on predicting stuff on a forum. That's what we do isn't it?

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:30 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
thebish wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
thebish wrote:

eh?
Have I missed the point? You were pulling TD up on predicting stuff on a forum. That's what we do isn't it?
Are you sure sarcasm wasn't involved?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:32 am

Are you sure sarcasm wasn't involved?[/quote]

Not any more, no.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:11 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:Are you sure sarcasm wasn't involved?

Not any more, no.[/quote]

no idea what you are on about!!!

some people predicted stuff - predominantly a christmas slump which included losing some games!!

tango wrote that we all had to expect to win everything if we hope to be in the top flight

I responded that I want players to expect to win - but that it is surely fine for fans to speculate we might have a slump. In other words - surely it is OK for us to predict a christmas slump on a forum without being told we have to be positive!

I have no idea what it is you think i have done!!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:44 pm

thebish wrote:

the players do - yes, i agree - but surely that doesn't extend to fans predicting stuff on a forum??
I rather thought it was the players ( We, being Bolton) I was talking about since they're the only ones who can actually affect anything? Fans opinions never affected scores in my memory. Not sure why my post even needed a reply?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:49 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
thebish wrote:

I rather thought it was the players ( We, being Bolton) I was talking about since they're the only ones who can actually affect anything? Fans opinions never affected scores in my memory. Not sure why my post even needed a reply?

ok - fair enough - but this is a thread about fans on a forum wondering if we will have a slump - not about the players' attitudes going out onto the pitch and whether they are positive or not - so your post stuck out a bit as noteworthy - that's all!

I don't think we will have the traditional festive christmas slump - but then that's just my natural confident ebulliance, which, I think, I bring to most football discourse!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:02 pm

:zzz:
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:24 pm

thebish wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
thebish wrote:

ok - fair enough - but this is a thread about fans on a forum wondering if we will have a slump - not about the players' attitudes going out onto the pitch and whether they are positive or not - so your post stuck out a bit as noteworthy - that's all!

I don't think we will have the traditional festive christmas slump - but then that's just my natural confident ebulliance, which, I think, I bring to most football discourse!

I'm not sure I know why I got involved now. I thought thebish was having a go about people speculating about future games and slumps when in fact he was saying it's EXACTLY fine to do so. Now Mum and Dad aren't speaking, the cat's been sick on the newly wrapped presents and Christmas is cancelled until the 24th. AND IT's ALL MY FAULT!

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:00 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Not sure why my post even needed a reply?
Cos you posted it

You know the rules around here
Sto ut Serviam

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:07 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Not sure why my post even needed a reply?
Cos you posted it

You know the rules around here
Oh, yes, forgot. Sorry. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:33 pm

Despite our generally brilliant form.. history and our last ditch defending style suggests we're never far from an absolute stomping..
D J Campbell could have brought it last week ..... Carlos wil be less generous and our goal difference will look a whole lot different in the morning...
or we nick a ridiculous 1 - 0 er with them having 43 shots on goal and us geting a last minute peno....
nah... 5 - 1 them..
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

midnitefooty
Promising
Promising

Post by midnitefooty » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:11 am

DJBlu wrote:DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMEEED!!!

Can we get TShirts made up with this on.

I know I'd buy one.

As a Bolton fan I always have a gut feeling of "its going to go pear shaped".

Ask yourself this, after the Blackpool game.

Did you think

a: "Ooh, only 3 off City, Europe here we come"
b: "17 points from 40? 9 from relegation"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:03 am

midnitefooty wrote:

I know I'd buy one.

Did you think

No irony there, once you understand Bolton's half full cup.

As you can see, it doesn't take much for it to slide from the top half, to the bottom half...

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:19 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
midnitefooty wrote:

I know I'd buy one.

Did you think

No irony there, once you understand Bolton's half full cup.

As you can see, it doesn't take much for it to slide from the top half, to the bottom half...
It says life not Bolton.

Two different entities.

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Ok, after a great November we have traditionally as a club suffered a "december and January slump". Not necessarily across the whole two months but usually its around this time we have our annual 5 or 6 defeats in a row.

Will we be able to avoid this happening this time, the next few fixtures look somewhat tricky.

City Away....Ok a result from this is not out of the question but a Citeh win is the most likely outcome you'd have to say.

Blackburn Home....Should be ok we always do well in this fixture :shock:

Sunderland Away...Hardly lost a home game have Sunderland. Tricky game.

West Brom Home...You'd have this down as a win but as they showed at Everton, no push-overs sandwiched in between two tough away trips, anything could happen.

Chelsea Away...Lampard and Terry will be back for this.

Liverpool Away...They are no great shakes but Gerrard will be back and we've got an awful record at Anfield of late.

5 points from these would be very decent. 6 would be great.

Lets see how we do.

6 games - 5 against teams in the top half - plus one against Liverpool

I think that 6 points would be a decent return
What goes around may still come around

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:16 pm

boltonboris wrote:How ironic woul it be if Allardyce lost his job at the Reebok? I wouldn't wish it on him, by any means, as he was/is a legend here. But with these new owners potentially getting twitchy, a derby defeat could be the straw that broke the Camels back!
Erm quite?

More Ironic was the "type" of goal scored that ultimately lost him his job.