Christmas Slump

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Christmas Slump

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:52 am

Ok, after a great November we have traditionally as a club suffered a "december and January slump". Not necessarily across the whole two months but usually its around this time we have our annual 5 or 6 defeats in a row.

Will we be able to avoid this happening this time, the next few fixtures look somewhat tricky.

City Away....Ok a result from this is not out of the question but a Citeh win is the most likely outcome you'd have to say.

Blackburn Home....Should be ok we always do well in this fixture :shock:

Sunderland Away...Hardly lost a home game have Sunderland. Tricky game.

West Brom Home...You'd have this down as a win but as they showed at Everton, no push-overs sandwiched in between two tough away trips, anything could happen.

Chelsea Away...Lampard and Terry will be back for this.

Liverpool Away...They are no great shakes but Gerrard will be back and we've got an awful record at Anfield of late.

5 points from these would be very decent. 6 would be great.

Lets see how we do.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Re: Christmas Slump

Post by seanworth » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:53 am

Hey Grinch go away will you. :wink:

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:07 am

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMEEED.

City's a difficult one. Blackburn are on a downer now. Hopefully Saturday's defeat will put Sunderland into their shell. West Brom's difficult, but they're nowhere near as consistent as they were when we went to the hawthorns (and Odemwingie's pulled a Zaki). With any luck Chelsea will keep feeling sorry for themselves until after Chrimbo. And if we play to approaching our potential at Anfield we'll be better.

Because of the good start, I don't mind six points from these either. But I'm optimistic we'll manage ten points here.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:10 am

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMEEED.

City's a difficult one. Blackburn are on a downer now. Hopefully Saturday's defeat will put Sunderland into their shell. West Brom's difficult, but they're nowhere near as consistent as they were when we went to the hawthorns (and Odemwingie's pulled a Zaki). With any luck Chelsea will keep feeling sorry for themselves until after Chrimbo. And if we play to approaching our potential at Anfield we'll be better.

Because of the good start, I don't mind six points from these either. But I'm optimistic we'll manage ten points here.
:mrgreen: Have you been drinking?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:13 am

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMEEED!!!

Can we get TShirts made up with this on.

I know I'd buy one.

As a Bolton fan I always have a gut feeling of "its going to go pear shaped".

Ask yourself this, after the Blackpool game.

Did you think

a: "Ooh, only 3 off City, Europe here we come"
b: "17 points from 40? 9 from relegation"

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:16 am

I thought

c. "thank fook we didn't lose"

And I was up drinking till 4 this morning. Doeshn't clouod my (hic) judsshgghmennnnt (hic).
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:35 am

We are currently 4 pts ahead of where I thought that we would be preseason, my predictions then for the next few games were

City A - L
Rovers H - D
Sunderland A - L
WBA H - W
Chelsea A - L (don't think that Terry will be playing)
Liverpool A - L

So that's 4 points from those 6 games, still can't see us getting anything at City, Pool and Chelsea but based on recent performances we could still beat WBA and should (am I allowed to say we should beat someone??) beat Rovers and get at least a draw at Sunderland for a total of 7 or even 9 if we win that game as well, either of which I would settle for.

That would give us between 30 and 32 pts after 21 games which wouldn't be a bad return. Well on the way to survival, but if we only do manage to get the original 4 pts from those games for a total of 27 pts then we will be doooooooooooooooooooomed.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:40 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Ok, after a great November we have traditionally as a club suffered a "december and January slump". Not necessarily across the whole two months but usually its around this time we have our annual 5 or 6 defeats in a row.

Will we be able to avoid this happening this time, the next few fixtures look somewhat tricky.

City Away....Ok a result from this is not out of the question but a Citeh win is the most likely outcome you'd have to say.

West Brom Home...You'd have this down as a win but as they showed at Everton, no push-overs sandwiched in between two tough away trips, anything could happen.

Liverpool Away...They are no great shakes but Gerrard will be back and we've got an awful record at Anfield of late.

Lets see how we do.
Phew !!

It's being so positive that keeps you going isn't it BW ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:51 am

I'm thinking 40 points by the end of January. Perhaps I am the eternal optimist but I just think that we may be somewhat more resilient than some of you pessimists believe. :wink:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:52 am

bobo the clown wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Ok, after a great November we have traditionally as a club suffered a "december and January slump". Not necessarily across the whole two months but usually its around this time we have our annual 5 or 6 defeats in a row.

Lets see how we do.
Phew !!

It's being so positive that keeps you going isn't it BW ?
Like I say a slump around this time of year has become an annual tradition for us.

All I was asking was do people think we can avoid it?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:27 pm

How ironic woul it be if Allardyce lost his job at the Reebok? I wouldn't wish it on him, by any means, as he was/is a legend here. But with these new owners potentially getting twitchy, a derby defeat could be the straw that broke the Camels back!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:57 pm

Apropos to all this doom-mongering; did we think prior to the games to date, we'd be doing so well? No we didn't, but we are. We are doing very well indeed, so I see no reason to p*ss on the fireworks now. I suppose it is tradition that we usualy have a slump in Dec/Jan; but it's also been tradition over the past few seasons that we are crap. Times are changing, and this is our time. Bring on the millionaires, bring on the chicken farmer's, the over achievers from WBA, the under performing scousers, the deluded mackem's and the London fancy dans. Bring 'em all, for we are Bolton. This is our time and we will not be denied.....................maybe a draw against b/burn tho......

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:05 pm

And just when you begin to see the light some fxxker comes along and blows your candle out. Talk about "As one door closes, another slams shut". I know it's Monday, but.......
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:13 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:And just when you begin to see the light some fxxker comes along and blows your candle out. Talk about "As one door closes, another slams shut". I know it's Monday, but.......

psssstt. Tango! Channel 4 - right now - John Wayne & Rock Hudson - "The Undefeated"...

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:21 pm

We are way further on than I thought we'd be

So much better in fact that I can't see it continuing

City is an odd one - could win 3-1, could lose 6-2

I think we're too unpredictable to predict

Everything so far this season says it's unlikely we'll lose

Everything over the last 40 years says its likely the unlikely will happen
Sto ut Serviam

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:36 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote: Everything so far this season says it's unlikely we'll lose

Everything over the last 40 years says its likely the unlikely will happen
:D

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:07 pm

It's too hard to call. We don't look like going on a slump, but then you presume we have to come back down to earth sometime.

I still stand by the fact that we should've had two extra points from Saturday. I'm not yet at the stage where I think the fact that for 10 mins we were Brazil '70 excuses us for going 2-0 down to Blackpool at home. Especially how they scored their goals.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:39 pm

I think it's time to get a home victory against Blackburn and, equally, against Allardyce and perfectly feasible.

It's also time to turn up for a Boxing Day game which we don't seem to have managed for years. I'm sick of all the dire, dire defeats we've endured for what seems like a decade. I think Coyle can change this as he has other things. West Brom are an attractive side - there's obviously the chance of a bright match and three hard-won points.

Sunderland go in for home draws with the same frequency as we do - no reason why we shouldn't claim a point there.

We've no right to expect anything at all from the rest, and I don't.

Seven points, says I, is not totally cock-eyed optimism. And will do. :D

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:41 pm

bolton have almost always put a black cloud over christmas..

come on Santa Coyle - bring us some good cheer!

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:24 pm

I'd rather think that other teams forums are doing the same and putting us down as 'a point would be great'

The way we are playing and capable of playing, there's not a single team in the Prem we are unable to beat, and are getting better and better as the season goes on, so I can't see any immediate slump at all. It's amazing what confidence and self belief can do to a team and ours is swimming in it at the moment.

I'm looking at Man City and Spurs results, rather then Wolves and Wigan's and it's a great feeling to have again. Here's to a very Merry Christmas at the Bok!
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!