TKIZ's impossibly brilliant all new Transfer Rumours thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Re: TKIZ's impossibly brilliant all new Transfer Rumours thr

Post by TKIZ! » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:37 pm

Meh, if Elmo goes Coyle will have someone lined up
Pfffft.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:09 pm

TKIZ! wrote:Meh, if Elmo goes Coyle will have someone lined up
Agreed. I reckon there'll certainly be a striker coming in over the summer anyway, the Elmo deal just dictates whether it'll be a big-name signing on high wages or a back-up.

Also, money on getting Macheda or Owen for the season. I'm not ITK, I just reckon United will be next to entrust a good, young/out-of-form player to the Owen Coyle revolution.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:55 pm

truewhite15 wrote: I reckon there'll certainly be a striker coming in over the summer anyway, the Elmo deal just dictates whether it'll be a big-name signing on high wages or a back-up.
Not sure where the money would come from from a big-name signing on high wages.

As I see it, signing Elmander to an extension is the best option. He either stays and plays an extra year or we get something for letting him go in the Summer. Strikers are not easy to come by and are not cheap so it would not be unreasonable to expect 3 or 4 m for him. We got 4m for Nolan when he left and he certainly was not on the top of his game.

Elmander has 9 goals to date with 9 to play. Re-signing such a striker effectively for free is not necessarily the worst option, and although goals have dried up at the moment it is worth pointing out that he has been asked to play out of position since the arrival of the Saviour.

I understand the arguments of the poor performances in the previous 2 seasons but, if we're honest, those were 2 poor seasons for the club with spirit and desire at a low under the ginger genius. To be fair there are not many in the team we can point to as being outstanding in that period.

Of course, OC may pull another rabbit out of the hat in terms of a Holdenesque striker on a free transfer.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:59 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:
truewhite15 wrote: I reckon there'll certainly be a striker coming in over the summer anyway, the Elmo deal just dictates whether it'll be a big-name signing on high wages or a back-up.
Not sure where the money would come from from a big-name signing on high wages.

As I see it, signing Elmander to an extension is the best option. He either stays and plays an extra year or we get something for letting him go in the Summer. Strikers are not easy to come by and are not cheap so it would not be unreasonable to expect 3 or 4 m for him.

it would be very unreasonable - as he'd be on a bosman....

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:04 pm

Right - now I'm confused. So if we re -sign (extend contract) him we cannot get money for him if we then choose to sell him?

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:27 pm

I think Bish has been at the communion wine again! :lol:
Pfffft.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:05 pm

TKIZ! wrote:I think Bish has been at the communion wine again! :lol:
Depends how you read the first bit of WW's post. It only really makes sense (albeit under the influence of non-communion wine) if we were able re-sign Elmander on a contract longer than one year (which I suspect would not be a 'free' transfer as he'd probably be encouraged to ask for a hefty signing-on fee.) For the club to make any money out of a one year deal they'd have to re-sign him and then sell him again before the end of August, otherwise he'd be Bosmaned again in January. I can't see that happening.

Elmander's in no different a position to Klasnic at the beginning of last season. Him and his agent will be looking for the best deal they can get in the summer. If none of the so-called big clubs come calling then he may try to stick the devil he knows.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:13 pm

Little Green Man wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:I think Bish has been at the communion wine again! :lol:
Depends how you read the first bit of WW's post. It only really makes sense (albeit under the influence of non-communion wine) if we were able re-sign Elmander on a contract longer than one year (which I suspect would not be a 'free' transfer as he'd probably be encouraged to ask for a hefty signing-on fee.) For the club to make any money out of a one year deal they'd have to re-sign him and then sell him again before the end of August, otherwise he'd be Bosmaned again in January. I can't see that happening.

Elmander's in no different a position to Klasnic at the beginning of last season. Him and his agent will be looking for the best deal they can get in the summer. If none of the so-called big clubs come calling then he may try to stick the devil he knows.
Ahhh I see how it could have been misconstrued
Pfffft.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:17 pm

Assuming he's on first team wages and all the starting XI are on around the same kind of money per week...

He runs around and puts a shift in.
He doesn't sulk, as far as I can make out.
He'll play in different positions for the team.
When he's in form he's pretty good.

...that's not bad, you could even say value for money when compared to other players on similar money.

Contract extension is probably a good deal for us but what's the carrot in the equation? We can't really increase his wages very much, if at all. All we can offer him is length of contract and an insistance we'll sell him if a EL/CL club wants him.

I'd rather he went than stay around and not want to be here while draining the finances.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:22 pm

TKIZ! wrote:Ahhh I see how it could have been misconstrued
Nonsense - it's as clear as mud. :wink:

LGM's right. Elmander's contract is up at the end of June. If we wanted to avoid a Bosman next January (the window where silly deals are made) then the deal would have to be over a year.

I hadn't considered a fee for extending a contract. What sort of money are we talking about? 1 mill? More?

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:56 pm

Possibly more than a million, I'd offer what we think he's worth and then if he says no we've done what we can
Pfffft.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:59 pm

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/ ... an-hotshot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

New bit of transfer speculation
Pfffft.

martin1877coywm
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by martin1877coywm » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:43 am

TKIZ! wrote:http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/ ... an-hotshot?

2.5mil would not be a bad price for a player that looks like a true goalscorer.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:48 am

He looks the spitting image of OC in that photo.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:51 am

Worthy4England wrote:

He looks the spitting image of OC in that photo.
I was thinking my god he looks much older than a 21yr old.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:56 pm

truewhite15 wrote:Also, money on getting Macheda or Owen for the season. I'm not ITK, I just reckon United will be next to entrust a good, young/out-of-form player to the Owen Coyle revolution.
I'd like to think so and certainly wouldn't be against it, unlike some (who are entitled to their own opinion, but mine is Get The Best Players). Trouble is, I'm hearing that Fergie isn't as pally with OC as he was with Allardyce (or for that matter as Wenger has become with OC), going back to 2009 when Burnley signed Richard Eckersley - out of contract but under 24 so the rags could ask a price, and they weren't impressed by Coyle's low-balling. I've been told this could have been a factor in Tom Cleverley ending up at Relegation Haunted Wigan rather than the far better team up the road.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the relationship thaws and we receive a starlet needing experience: Fergie may be stubborn but he will want the best education for his promising kids, and two of his main title rivals have already benefited from our finishing school. Plus, as I said in summer during the Cleverley bidding process, better for him to have youngsters around the Manchester region where he has his spies than up in, say, Sunderland/Newcastle, which can often be a young man's career-finishing school.

Likely names would include Cleverley, centre-back Ritchie De Laet (esp. if Cahill goes), centre-back/midfielder Corry Evans (currently at Hull, brother of party boy Jonny) or young forwards Macheda, Bebe or Joshua King (although the latter may be loaned to a lower club first). Personally, I'd be fascinated to see whether we could make an honest man of Ravel Morrison, but he's got more baggage than Louis Vitton and the rags might want to keep him under closer scrutiny.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:07 pm

Thats certainly one of the signings we should be looking to make in the summer. That idea, anyway.

And are there any more Stuart Holden's around? I think the reason for Dalglish was at the Reebok the other day was to watch him. After a good report from Stewy's ex team mate Paul.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:42 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Thats certainly one of the signings we should be looking to make in the summer. That idea, anyway.

And are there any more Stuart Holden's around? I think the reason for Dalglish was at the Reebok the other day was to watch him. After a good report from Stewy's ex team mate Paul.
Do you not think its more likely he was watching Ashley Young?

Dalglish is also keen and was watching through the summer LCY.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:43 pm

Bebe is gash though, isn't he?

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:44 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote: I'd like to think so and certainly wouldn't be against it, unlike some (who are entitled to their own opinion, but mine is Get The Best Players).
as one of the "some", may I ask if "get the best players"overrides all other considerations?

Lee Bowyer. Joey Barton. Undoubtedly talented, but would you want them?

I would argue that ethical questions should play a part in who you sign. And playing for the Rags is as ethically questionable as most things.

Anyway, shouldn't you be working on the new EP?
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"