Ivan Klasnic

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Ivan Klasnic

Post by Verbal » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:39 pm

I've always maintained that in my relatively short tenure as a supporter of Bolton Wanderers that Michael Ricketts is the best one-on-one finisher I have ever seen in the white shirt.

However, I am coming around to the idea that Ivan Klasnic is probably the best overall finisher I have seen play for the trotters. Not at all the best technically, nor the fastest or strongest, but he seems to be able to conjure goals from mere half chances as well as being there for the tap-ins.

Take his last two goals. Away at Fulham in the cup, they fail to defend properly and the ball comes to him some twelve yards out, about a metre away from him and in the air(ish...). Instead of trying to control it he volleys it first time, with his body virtually horizontal in trying to reach the ball. Keeper had no chance.

Similarly against Villa at the weekend.A knockdown to him about twelve yards out, but the ball is instead a yard behind him. Instead of trying to control and turn, he swivels and gets it away first time, giving the keeper no chance to react.

This is a bit of a ramble, but it's just something which has really impressed me and something I haven't seen a striker do - take on the shot early - and be as successful. It's a joy to watch.
Last edited by Verbal on Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Ivan Klasnic

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:44 pm

Also has the fearlessness to carry on despite setbacks, such as the chances he missed at Sunderland – half-chances for most, chances for him.

Indeed, he had what Sky commentator Rob Palmer chucklingly referred to as an air-shot on Saturday. About 25 seconds later, Palmer was screaming exultations as Klasnic won the match.

Credit too, as it hasn't been afforded, to another natural finisher - Danny Sturridge - who knuckled down to a new role on Saturday after Klasnic arrived. Like Elmander he may not be quite as effective there, but he subjugated his own pride to the team's needs.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:45 pm

Davo had his arms up before Klasnic had even hit it - he knew it was going in 8)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:47 pm

Lofthouse Lower wrote:Davo had his arms up before Klasnic had even hit it - he knew it was going in
Indeed, at best he produces that wonderful warm inevitability, not unlike Ricketts. Many's the time I've been half out of my seat roaring "GWON KLAS" - by the second syllable it's usually in the bag.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:55 pm

Klasnic is a different type of finisher I guess, as people say he hits them early to catch keepers off guard. His turn and shot is as good as anything I've seen.

Not sure he's as good or lethal in one on one situations though.

Certainly seems to be getting back to his sharpest and his best. Which is nice for the run in.

Question is, should he start or carry on as a "super sub" on Saturday? Start for me!

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:55 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Also has the fearlessness to carry on despite setbacks, such as the chances he missed at Sunderland – half-chances for most, chances for him.
He's indeed very confident in his own abilities...I remember him tweeting after one match (might be Sunderland actually) apologising to fans, saying he usually "scores those with [his] eyes closed."

Wigan as well, where he missed a couple of very good opportunities before making amends with his third; the very coolest of finishes. Though to be fair he was playing under the cloud of suspicion.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:56 pm

Elmander has been under a cloud of suspicion for three years now

charged with impersonating a footballer

8)

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:57 pm

He's just very single minded. Borghetti was the same, but probably arrived a little too late in his career to blossom in English football. I remember his goal at Besiktas,near post first time hit. Very Klasnic-esque.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:59 pm

Aye. Remember Borgetti's header vs Italy in the 2002 world cup? That was ridiculous.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:27 pm

I struggle to think of many strikers who shoot better than him on the turn, not only in the league but also in world football.

As an aside, his partnership with Klose at Werder Bremen was something to be admired.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:33 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Also has the fearlessness to carry on despite setbacks, such as the chances he missed at Sunderland – half-chances for most, chances for him.

Indeed, he had what Sky commentator Rob Palmer chucklingly referred to as an air-shot on Saturday. About 25 seconds later, Palmer was screaming exultations as Klasnic won the match.

Credit too, as it hasn't been afforded, to another natural finisher - Danny Sturridge - who knuckled down to a new role on Saturday after Klasnic arrived. Like Elmander he may not be quite as effective there, but he subjugated his own pride to the team's needs.
Which in itself raises the question as to why we're farming these players out wide to accomodate the now more-often-than-not ineffective skipper and protect our sacred 4-4-2 formation, but that's a different thread altogether.

Anyway, Klasnic is very good at what he does (although there's a certain French bloke who'd have a good claim for being our best ever one on one finisher). For a club which for the most part has cornered the market on strikers who work their bollocks off without scoring, it is a refreshing change to have someone almost the complete opposite.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:04 pm

There are so many of Klasnic's goals where you say "only Klasnic would have scored that", and Saturdays was an example of that. I don't think he works any less hard than other "natural goalscorers" and think he's worth having on the pitch when we need a goal.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:06 pm

Agreed, you flame haired goddess

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:08 pm

He's a classy player aswell as a classy finisher.. whenever we see any quality football in the final third, it usually has a Klasnic flick or back heel in the build up..

Excellent first touch and awareness

Our best striker, probably by some distance
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:09 pm

I think you are forgetting a Mr T. Obadeyi

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:14 pm

Of course... My bad
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:39 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
Anyway, Klasnic is very good at what he does (although there's a certain French bloke who'd have a good claim for being our best ever one on one finisher).
Aye, Pierre Yves Andre was good, but nothing on Klasnic IMO.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:42 pm

I distinctively remember last season Klasnic and CYL were starting to build an exciting partnership and a really good understanding. Both are technically very good and I think we should start utilising again in the run in. I know both have had a bit of a stop-start season but I personally would like Owen to develop it further.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:42 pm

Strange how many of his goals seem to be left foot volleys from around the penalty spot..
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:37 pm

malcd1 wrote:I distinctively remember last season Klasnic and CYL were starting to build an exciting partnership and a really good understanding. Both are technically very good and I think we should start utilising again in the run in. I know both have had a bit of a stop-start season but I personally would like Owen to develop it further.
Forty points and seventh, best we've had for a fair while. Hardly a time to start tinkering. If it ain't broke etc...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?