Ivan Klasnic

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Ivan Klasnic

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:45 pm

Verbal wrote: Instead of trying to control and turn, he swivels and gets it away first time, giving the keeper no chance to react.
This is a bit of a ramble, but it's just something which has really impressed me and something I haven't seen a striker do - take on the shot early - and be as successful. It's a joy to watch.
Most really good strikers hit their shots instinctively with very little backlift, the Brazilians did it years ago. A lot of strikers waste time controlling and setting up the shot; both Sturridge and Klasnic have it in the net before keepers have time to think about reacting.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:50 pm

This swivel n volley is his thing.

I can't help but compare him to mcginlay actually... I know they are different super John more reliable but I can't get the comparison out of my head. the crucial goal factor, fans favourite aspect and the fact that's what they both just did/do - score goals.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:05 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
malcd1 wrote:I distinctively remember last season Klasnic and CYL were starting to build an exciting partnership and a really good understanding. Both are technically very good and I think we should start utilising again in the run in. I know both have had a bit of a stop-start season but I personally would like Owen to develop it further.
Forty points and seventh, best we've had for a fair while. Hardly a time to start tinkering. If it ain't broke etc...
On the other hand, perhaps it's the ideal time to start improving, considering a loss won't risk relegation. Anyway, we might see CYL and Klas paired up again on Saturday, unless OC goes with Elmo and Taylor/Petrov wide.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:12 pm

I think he'll pretty much start with the team at Fulham. So Davo and Klasnic up front, Lee and Petrov wide. The only questionable starters I see are Muamba and Jussi. Does he let Bogdan keep going, does he give Moo a chance against his old club?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:14 pm

Surely he picks what he considers to be our strongest team for the Brum game? Surely?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:15 pm

Which is?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:17 pm

Exactly. (And he can't pick our strongest side as Sturridge is cuptied and, er, JLloyd still injured, or kidnapped, or something.)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:21 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Which is?
The side that played against Villa with a replacement for Sturridge? Or thereabouts?

He obviously sees that as approximately our strongest side.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
The side that played against Villa with a replacement for Sturridge? Or thereabouts? He obviously sees that as approximately our strongest side.
I'm not sure. I think he may be getting close to playing horses for courses. This is no bad thing.

So the questions are:

* Up top: Does he pair Klas with SKD, or shift Elmo back up top with a view to bringing Klas on if necessary?
* In the miggle: Against Birmingham's hard-working midfield, does he go for the more solid if less creative Muamba, again with Mavis as an option?
* Wide left: Petrov to run at Carr, as LK (I think) suggested earlier - or, again, is he an option from the bench as Carr tires, if OC thinks Taylor affords more protection? Or maybe CYL?
* Wide right: Depends largely on quandaries one and three, but Elmo? CYL? Mavis?

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:38 pm

Only two decisions to be made for me:

Jussi/Bogdan

Steinnson Cahill Wheater Robbo

CYL M Davies Holden Petrov/Taylor

Elmander SKD

Klasnic to come off the bench. Petrov will probably get the edge over Taylor. Can he drop Jussi after saving a penalty?
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:43 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
The side that played against Villa with a replacement for Sturridge? Or thereabouts? He obviously sees that as approximately our strongest side.
I'm not sure. I think he may be getting close to playing horses for courses. This is no bad thing.

So the questions are:

* Up top: Does he pair Klas with SKD, or shift Elmo back up top with a view to bringing Klas on if necessary?
* In the miggle: Against Birmingham's hard-working midfield, does he go for the more solid if less creative Muamba, again with Mavis as an option?
* Wide left: Petrov to run at Carr, as LK (I think) suggested earlier - or, again, is he an option from the bench as Carr tires, if OC thinks Taylor affords more protection? Or maybe CYL?
* Wide right: Depends largely on quandaries one and three, but Elmo? CYL? Mavis?
I'm not sure we're at horses for courses, more that out of necessity there's been some rotation with Lee needing a rest, FA cup runs, small squad over Christmas etc.

I think Coyle has an 11 he'd pick as his "best" and I'm sure that will be picked on Saturday. On current form that may well (and should IMO) include Klasnic. The rest will depend on what OC thinks is his strongest side right now.

But I'll be surprised if Bogdan and the like play, because although they've done well for us on this run so far, surely with 40 points bagged and a Wembley chance we can't go pissing around with second string keepers etc?

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:48 pm

Bogdan has done well so far, but if Coyle follows up on his comments to the meeja and at the fan forum things then he HAS to go with his best XI, and that, unfortunately (and for now at least) doesn't include Bogdan.

It does, however, include Petrov and Chung.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:51 pm

He's yet to concede a goal in the Facup, isn't he? Coyle is a superstitious type, afterall.

And its hardly like Steinsson covered himself in glory on saturday, to the extent that you'd say he was a certain starter, anyway.

Birmingham relied on the sucker punch against The Arse, I'm not sure its something they could make a long term tactic of, so then the question is, do we attempt to play fast ball players (so a midfield of Mavies, Petrov, Lee, Holden) or do we play it canny to start, and get Muamba and Taylor in.

Frankly, I'd prefer the former. If we get early goals, I can't see McLeish chasing the game. He's had his Wembley final (and cup win) and he has a relegation scrap on his hands. The longer the game progresses goalless, the more the home crowd might pressure him into attacking subs.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:52 pm

Lofthouse Lower wrote:Bogdan has done well so far, but if Coyle follows up on his comments to the meeja and at the fan forum things then he HAS to go with his best XI, and that, unfortunately (and for now at least) doesn't include Bogdan.

I don't believe we can carry Petrov and CYL. Not with Holden and Davies in midifeld at least.

If CYL plays I'd have Taylor on the left myself.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:54 pm

You feeling sorry for them or something?

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:56 pm

Lofthouse Lower wrote:Bogdan has done well so far, but if Coyle follows up on his comments to the meeja and at the fan forum things then he HAS to go with his best XI, and that, unfortunately (and for now at least) doesn't include Bogdan.

Those two might be the best in their positions but they don't necessarily play in the best team, especially if he plays Mark Davies

And your theory about Petrov running the old man they have at right back, I can only assume Carr didn't play in the game at our place, cos Petrov didn't have too much for whoever played there, that day
Sto ut Serviam

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:57 pm

Taylor :doh: come off it, man

and Steinsson was atrocious again at weekend - at fault for both goals.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:46 pm

On what planet, even with an irrational hatred of our only fit even nearly right back, was the first one his fault? Petrov is getting better but it's still pick one from two uninspiring options at the moment. Given I think a midfield of LCY-Holden-MD-Petrov would get flattened, I'd rather have Taylor and MD that Petrov and Muamba.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:50 pm

er you mean when Bent moved from stood next to Steinsson to in front of Steinsson with nary a moment's thought from our only fit even nearly right back to maybe move inside and block the shot?

Then.

Lennon'sEleven
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Lennon'sEleven » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:54 pm

This thread will usurp the official Bolton v Brum one at this rate! It's about Klansnic!

... who I think should start up top with Elmander, with CYL on the right and Davies off the bench. Taylor to start with Petrov available, and Holden Mavis in the middle. Same back 4 as v Villa.

Bogdan stays in until he lets us down, or we get to the final. In which case, Jussi gets the nod and young Bogdan still gets a medal if things go well.
Formerly known as Meg'sEleven. And Owen'sEleven. And Dougie'sEleven. We're getting through them aren't we...