Terrace Songs

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Terrace Songs

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:02 am

I'm all for new terrace songs, but is it just me or do these "trend" songs/chants that one club starts singing and then everyone else copies annoy anyone else?

The latest being "I wanna go home....................."

Irritating and mindless, in the same vein as "Yer mums yer dad.........."

Perhaps as a club we do need our own song to stop the regurgitation of these sorts of things and also to give us some identity as fans?

ebby
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Terrace Songs

Post by ebby » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:15 am

agreed, very annoying...

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:24 am

I do think we need our own terrace song. But it's hard to get them to spread like wildfire.

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:28 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:I'm all for new terrace songs, but is it just me or do these "trend" songs/chants that one club starts singing and then everyone else copies annoy anyone else?

Perhaps as a club we do need our own song to stop the regurgitation of these sorts of things and also to give us some identity as fans?
Yeah everyone's at it, pretty much every set of fans waiting at Parkway station after games has been singing it this season and the "we'll do what we want..." thing is doing my head in too.

Getting almost as bad as "easy, easy, easy" that Soccer AM took so much delight in making the whole country start chanting

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:31 am

P.O.S. wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:I'm all for new terrace songs, but is it just me or do these "trend" songs/chants that one club starts singing and then everyone else copies annoy anyone else?

Yeah everyone's at it, pretty much every set of fans waiting at Parkway station after games has been singing it this season and the "we'll do what we want..." thing is doing my head in too.

Getting almost as bad as "easy, easy, easy" that Soccer AM took so much delight in making the whole country start chanting
Yep, the "easy" chant was in exactly the same vein. I've made my feelings clear also on "we'll do what we want" though I've only heard Man Utd fans using that one!

Still same tune. Some originality surely is due?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:45 am

Indeed. The irony of people off of Johnny Fow and Highfield Road calling Birmingham, or indeed anywhere else a "shithole" is quite something.
May the bridges I burn light your way

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:15 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
P.O.S. wrote:

Yep, the "easy" chant was in exactly the same vein. I've made my feelings clear also on "we'll do what we want" though I've only heard Man Utd fans using that one!

Still same tune. Some originality surely is due?
Horribly, I heard a bit of "we are Bolton Wanderers, we'll do what we want" on Saturday. Thankfully only sporadic though, please don't let this catch on!!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:40 pm

P.O.S. wrote: Horribly, I heard a bit of "we are Bolton Wanderers, we'll do what we want" on Saturday. Thankfully only sporadic though, please don't let this catch on!!
It'll be that small group (about 6) of 16 year olds sat the row in front of me.. Nobs were purposely singing different songs to everybody else!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Lennon'sEleven
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Lennon'sEleven » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:00 pm

boltonboris wrote:
P.O.S. wrote: Horribly, I heard a bit of "we are Bolton Wanderers, we'll do what we want" on Saturday. Thankfully only sporadic though, please don't let this catch on!!
It'll be that small group (about 6) of 16 year olds sat the row in front of me.. Nobs were purposely singing different songs to everybody else!
I guess they do what they want...
Formerly known as Meg'sEleven. And Owen'sEleven. And Dougie'sEleven. We're getting through them aren't we...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:03 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

Indeed. The irony of people off of Johnny Fow and Highfield Road calling Birmingham, or indeed anywhere else a "shithole" is quite something.

Had the same convo at work today about all fans singing the same songs. Does my tree in. Wigan were singing it at the Reebok before kick off. Where to start. First of all, Bolton may well be a shithole, but the Reebok isn't even in Bolton, secondly the game hasn't even kicked off yet, go home then, and thirdly, Wigan is walking distance anyway, so GO HOME! That 'just can't get enough' is going to be the next one. That video that Brum fella posted had some of their lot singing it at one point.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:03 pm

Meh, it's 100000 times better than 'Yer mums yer dad', so I'm fine with it. No problem saying I sung along with it on Saturday.

Any alternative chant suggestions? Does the lyrical content of football chants really matter?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:05 pm

I'm not THAT fussed about lyrical content, I just want something that is wholly our own, instead of this rent-a-chant ubiquitous stuff.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:11 pm

Tombwfc wrote:Meh, it's 100000 times better than 'Yer mums yer dad', so I'm fine with it. No problem saying I sung along with it on Saturday.

Any alternative chant suggestions? Does the lyrical content of football chants really matter?
It would be nice if we had our own songs.

And really as Bruce has pointed out, calling anywhere a "shithole" when you're from most towns/cities in the UK is just plain embarrassing.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:Meh, it's 100000 times better than 'Yer mums yer dad', so I'm fine with it. No problem saying I sung along with it on Saturday.

And really as Bruce has pointed out, calling anywhere a "shithole" when you're from most towns/cities in the UK is just plain embarrassing.
If you are singing about the ground itself then it's obviously a correct choice at Everton, Liverpool and Blackburn.

Notrights sang it at Chelsea which was funny.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:46 pm

Wembley, Wembley, I really can't afford it but I'm going to Wembley!

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:58 pm

Prufrock wrote:I'm not THAT fussed about lyrical content, I just want something that is wholly our own, instead of this rent-a-chant ubiquitous stuff.
you know what is called for, i know what is called for. And if I wasn't delirious after the diminutive Korean scored on Saturday I may have attempted it.

Chuuuuuung Yonnnng Leeeeee
(Lee Chung Yong)
Lee Chuuuuung Yonnnng
(Chung Yong Lee)

Taaaaaaaaakkeees themmmmmm oooooooooooonnnnn
and scores a goaaaaaaaaaaaall

to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djV11Xbc914" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hell, owen'seleven, dartisan, get that on yer podcast!! :D
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:01 pm

Fabrice. Why do you miss and, then put it in row zee?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1twNUC_yzI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:04 pm

Someone with some lyrical ability should be able to work a song about Fabrice to that Adele one.

Nevermind you'll find someone like Moo
something
something
something
Sometimes he hits the target but mostly he hits Row Zed

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

But again, it's just a chant. If we're analysing it, at no point does anyone suggest Bolton is any better (infact, haven't people started singing the opposite to away fans at the Reebok?). Also, since when did football chants have to be proveable? We've happily played against giants of European football while claiming to be by far the greatest team the world has ever seen, and suggested that we are the one and only Wanderers while playing another team who are called Wanderers.

It's not the most original chant in the world don't get me wrong, I wish we had something different, but noise is noise.

Incidentally, I'd love to see a crowd of football fans take on the last line of Verbal's effort.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:48 pm

The we'll do what we want one makes me want to strangle someone. Its spreading like wildfire. And its a chant that only suits them dirty red metrosexuals down the road.

And the shithole one is boring and repetitive. It is, however, very apt in Burnley, Blackburn and Wigan. Where I might just join in.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.