Coyle Plans Shake-Up

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Coyle Plans Shake-Up

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:02 am

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Bo ... 25512.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like the sound of this. Coyle gets what it has meant, he's not going to write it off as a "one off" and is looking to build something for the future.

You get the feeling this has hit him as hard as us.

Interesting times I think, leading up to what could be a fascinating summer.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Coyle Plans Shake-Up

Post by BL3 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:25 am

I get the feeling that it's going to be a busy summer if we get significant funds from the sale of Cahill. Pratley would be a very good signing.

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:26 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Bo ... 25512.html

I like the sound of this. Coyle gets what it has meant, he's not going to write it off as a "one off" and is looking to build something for the future.

I like the sound of it too, but it obviously all depends on what funds he has available, and which players can and want to come - although I think in the last couple of years we've become a more attractive proposition than ever for a young player to come and learn his trade with us.

Meanwhile, Robinson looked "drained"? He'd been rested before this!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:54 am

Interesting indeed. Although I haven't been one of those calling for the junking of Jussi, I have been wondering whether we could/should/would trade him out this summer. Presumably, given his standing and age and the nature of the protracted contract discussions seemingly every other summer, he's on one of the highest wages at the club; with Bogdan and AAH both apparently promising replacements and new names needed on the payroll, might it not make sense to lose one of the highest earners?

One other thing: according to Wiki (usual caveats apply, but I see no need for tomfoolery), the Wembley semi-final saw Jussi overtake Nat in the all-time BW appearance table. He's only two behind Paul Jones and another full season would see him jump to third, but that's not OC's main concern - or BW's.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:04 pm

Well now's the time. We're all but secure, have some tough tests coming in the shape of Arsenal and Man City - but both are at home where they can enjoy support. The pressure's off really so good time for the likes of Bogdan to come in.

I don't know if I'd prefer that those reasons were given though and not an indication that it's due to Wembley failure.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:08 pm

Personally from what I've seen and heard Wembley has acted as a huge jolt to Coyle. Lets not forget he's a very ambitious manager and I'm sure he sees himself at clubs that could win lots of trophies. In order to get there he needs to do well here, and was looking to be on an upwards curve with even a few (albeit silly) people talking about him as the next Arsenal manager.

But Sunday was a huge, huge blackspot. He won't be happy and presumably he'll be evaluating what he did wrong, what the players did wrong and what can be changed to make things better.

chaddy_bwfc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by chaddy_bwfc » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:29 pm

Paul robinson "facing the axe"? isn't he banned for two games anyway as he got booked on sunday, which was his 10th if i am not mistaken? Ironically something they were trying to save him from before Wembley

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:37 pm

chaddy_bwfc wrote:

Paul robinson "facing the axe"? isn't he banned for two games anyway as he got booked on sunday, which was his 10th if i am not mistaken? Ironically something they were trying to save him from before Wembley
No. The amnesty for a ban passed last week, so he's not banned.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:41 pm

if big paul had played in the run up hedve not made the mistake

the one "facing the axe" should be petrov

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:16 pm

Two big games this season with a lot of pre-match build-up etc.

1) Chelsea game with tribute to Nat - lost 0-4.
2) Wembley semi - lost 0-5.

After 1) you could say it was Chelsea, even though they were in terrible form. With 2) there's really no excuses.

I got no probs at all with Coyle testing some new 'uns out for the rest of the season. Fair play!
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:38 pm

Did he pick those names out of a hat?

To watch the game on Sunday and reach the conclusion that the problem was that Jussi didn't pull out what would've been a bunch of excellent saves, is quite staggering. It wasn't like he was Gomes chucking them in.

Robinson made a clear error, but that doesn't wipe out a season's worth of consistent performances (to the point where we were so terrified of losing him for the semi we forbid him playing for weeks). It also doesn't change the fact Alonso currently is, to use a Coyle-ism, 'nowhere near where he needs to be' (literally, when we're defending he's almost never where he needs to be).

We've six meaningless games to go, and so I'm happy to see us experiment and give kids a chance. Dropping people for Sunday though is different, it's making a public statement that they were at fault for last week. In Jussi's case in particular, it seems disrespectful to single him out. They were all shit, why not just play the reserves + Sturridge?

There's got to be more to it than is suggested in that article, which does make Coyle sound a bit Megson.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:45 pm

a1 wrote:if big paul had played in the run up hedve not made the mistake
Did he forget how to defend while he was being rested then?

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:49 pm

Tombwfc wrote:To watch the game on Sunday and reach the conclusion that the problem was that Jussi didn't pull out what would've been a bunch of excellent saves, is quite staggering.
Who reached that conclusion apart from you?

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:54 pm

BL3 wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:To watch the game on Sunday and reach the conclusion that the problem was that Jussi didn't pull out what would've been a bunch of excellent saves, is quite staggering.
Who reached that conclusion apart from you?
Whoever decides that Sunday's game is reason enough to drop Jussi?

Trickyvegas
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Trickyvegas » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:01 pm

The main vunerability on Sunday was the lack of a midfield, defensively.

Perhaps pairing Cahill with Mark Davies in midfield and seeing how that works?

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:33 pm

Tombwfc wrote:Did he pick those names out of a hat?

To watch the game on Sunday and reach the conclusion that the problem was that Jussi didn't pull out what would've been a bunch of excellent saves, is quite staggering. It wasn't like he was Gomes chucking them in.

Robinson made a clear error, but that doesn't wipe out a season's worth of consistent performances (to the point where we were so terrified of losing him for the semi we forbid him playing for weeks). It also doesn't change the fact Alonso currently is, to use a Coyle-ism, 'nowhere near where he needs to be' (literally, when we're defending he's almost never where he needs to be).

We've six meaningless games to go, and so I'm happy to see us experiment and give kids a chance. Dropping people for Sunday though is different, it's making a public statement that they were at fault for last week. In Jussi's case in particular, it seems disrespectful to single him out. They were all shit, why not just play the reserves + Sturridge?

There's got to be more to it than is suggested in that article, which does make Coyle sound a bit Megson.
I think to suggest Tom that these are six meaningless games a bit short sighted. Unfortunately league positions are the aim here. The higher the position the more money the better the players. Yes I know a cup is good for the club but that's done till next season now
Pfffft.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:53 pm

TKIZ! wrote:

I think to suggest Tom that these are six meaningless games a bit short sighted. Unfortunately league positions are the aim here. The higher the position the more money the better the players. Yes I know a cup is good for the club but that's done till next season now
I agree entirely and think we should play our strongest team. Surely Jussi and Robinson would both be part of that though?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:58 pm

Tom it wouldn't surprise me if Coyle isn't using his mate to get a "buck your act up" message across to a couple, perhaps he won't actually leave them out.

However, the game on Sunday has focussed my mind, and without going all Hoboh about this there is no sentimentality anymore. Coyle is ambitious and will be ruthless so the club and he can achieve as much as possible. In the article it states that the "mistakes" or I suspect more accurately "shots that should maybe have been saved but weren't" have been stacking up.

Keepers are the hardest to judge because for any goal some can always make a case for why it should've been saved and some can make a case for why it can't be. Its not like outfield players where you have that overall performance to judge. A keeper can be ruined with one moment or made with the same.

In my opinion and I haven't been able to bear watching the goals after the game but Jussi should have had Huth's. Folk can go on all they like about him slicing it and it spinning/curving away, bouncing in front of him etc, but for me it was still a save. And thats my opinion. Someone near me at the game felt he should have had the first one too. I would disagree.

But Coyle needs to make a decision. Whether he's letting too many in that in Coyle and the coaches opinions could be saved.

What I would say is that rarely does Jussi keep us in games these days by making save after save, and in the past I certainly remember him doing that on occassion.

I think its time to be ruthless and get the best we can get. I'll leave that up to Coyle to judge. But we can't go on with the "well he's been here a long time and done a good job and he's not chucking em in is he?" mentality. Ferguson has built his Man Utd success by moving players on at the right time even when others thought he was mad. Coyle has to do the same here, admittedly on a different scale. But we should not accept for anyone just because "they've done ok, or been here for ages and never let us down". We should only settle for the best 11 winners we can get. If that includes Jussi then fine, but if Coyle thinks it does not anymore, then he should go for it.

End of the day that team had the chance to make history. To achieve something. And it failed, miserably. It might only be one game, but thats football, you need a team that performs when the big day comes around. We didn't so there is certainly massive room for improvement.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:17 pm

I've been in two minds as to what I'm going to post in this thread.

I'm of the mind that we do need to eventually phase Jussi out of the team, the fact is that his performances are getting less and less impressive. Like BWFC_Insane says above, the games that he manages to 'save' are getting less and less, it seems like he is losing his touch.

But then as I type this I find it difficult to say that I would want to drop Jussi. It may simply be down to sentimental reasons, but it just doesn't feel right to be saying it. Would it end up back firing and proving what a good keeper he is, maybe we have just been accustomed to his performances and are taking them for granted.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:30 pm

Trickyvegas wrote:The main vunerability on Sunday was the lack of a midfield, defensively.

Perhaps pairing Cahill with Mark Davies in midfield and seeing how that works?
Ridiculous! Drop Muamba, possibly the only player who looked anywhere near a footballer on Sunday, and play Gary "Too big for Bolton" Cahill in Midfield.

Cahill would be one of the first names of the teamsheet for me, cos:
(a) He was dogwank on Sunday.
(b) he won't be here next season and its all about 'building for the future'.
(c) Don't want any injury further hampering his value after his shameful performance on Sunday. (admittedly a crap reason! if anything his value could go up if he turns it round a bit on sunday).

HE isn't as good as he thinks he is thats for sure.....last Thursday(?)s interview must certainly be haunting him now.

Re Jussi I'm bang up for dropping him. Haven't been overly critical, cos he's still one of the 15 or so best keepers in this country, but we've certainly had the arse end of the Al Habsi deal this season. Seen Al Habsi creep into a 'Team of the season' article today and I've obviously been aware he's made, what, 1 mistake? If wiggin stay up he's the main reason! Jussi was shit on sunday, deffo at least partly to blame for goals 2, 4 and possibly 5...flapped about a lot as well. He's deffo getting worse. Bogdan is the future and hasn't let us down yet....get the finn out for me, no sentiment from me. If we're wrong and Bogdan aint great, get him back in, fine. For me Al Habsi starts as #1 next season.

Good piece from Coyle's mouthpiece, and as near as we'll get to some Coyle quotage on the summer anyway. Will be interesting to see how accurate the Robinson comments where...can't see why he should be flagging, he clearly just couldn't keep up with Pennant. And yeah I do remember being laughed at when suggesting him as a signing!

Be absolutely astounded if Petrov and Klasnic are near the team - I'd drop both from the squad and have some kids on there - but again thats me and I'm far too emotionally attached to be picking our XI at the moment!