Official Gary Cahill transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jimbo_bwfc
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Official Gary Cahill transfer thread

Post by jimbo_bwfc » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:39 pm

Probably that. A good few City fans would tell you they'd just rather have Boyata in their first team now instead of Cahill. They do rate him a lot but probably want him to get the 'Wilshere/Sturridge' treatment of a year's worth of experience. Irony of that of course is we'd probably be grooming him up to take Cahill's spot when he comes back the year after!

Not such a bad deal for us though, the pressure on us to get another centre-back is reduced in the immdiete and gives us a chance to spend the money on a more pressing area- up front.
http://www.twitter.com/jderbyshirebwfc

"Like putting a tiara on a shirehorse"

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:07 pm

boltonboris wrote:Surely SWP would become the most expensive bench warmer in our Clubs' history
Not if we 'trade' Lee

And thats assuming he's on more than that stump Petrov
Sto ut Serviam

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:09 pm

boltonboris wrote:Also, I don't like the idea that we send out a defender and get a (not needed) right winger on bigger wages as part of the deal. Yes, we get Boyata, but we have to send him back..

I'd prefer to take just Boyata and add a couple of Million on...
5 million a year in wages

Lovely

Nice one, Owen
Sto ut Serviam

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:24 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:5 million a year in wages
£100kpw? Who?

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:21 pm

Be a fantastic deal for City if true. Use a player they don't want to drive down the price of one they do, and as a bonus we'll develop their best young player for a season too. We replace our best centre half and best player with a 20 year old loanee with 6 league starts in his entire career and a substitute right winger on high wages (albeit plus £10mil or so to patch together the rest of our team).

I'd love to see Eddie Davies face when he sees SWP and Petrov sat on the bench next to each other next season.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:22 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
boltonboris wrote:Also, I don't like the idea that we send out a defender and get a (not needed) right winger on bigger wages as part of the deal. Yes, we get Boyata, but we have to send him back..

I'd prefer to take just Boyata and add a couple of Million on...
5 million a year in wages

Lovely

Nice one, Owen
And you know this for a fact because?
Pfffft.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:28 pm

Tombwfc wrote:Be a fantastic deal for City if true. Use a player they don't want to drive down the price of one they do, and as a bonus we'll develop their best young player for a season too. We replace our best centre half and best player with a 20 year old loanee with 6 league starts in his entire career and a substitute right winger on high wages (albeit plus £10mil or so to patch together the rest of our team).

I'd love to see Eddie Davies face when he sees SWP and Petrov sat on the bench next to each other next season.
This. Sadly.

However i'm not taking for gospel that this is whats happening until i see PSGs. I just cant see the sense in this Boyata loan scenario, unless he's got something lined up with the dosh we get (which had still better be a decent amount if they're just saddling us with SWP and a loan defender).

I guess if neither Boyata nor Onuoha want to come full time then we might as well take advantage of having one of them on loan providing we still get a good cash amount.
Last edited by ohjimmyjimmy on Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Turkish Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Turkish Trotter » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:30 pm

Tombwfc wrote:Be a fantastic deal for City if true. Use a player they don't want to drive down the price of one they do, and as a bonus we'll develop their best young player for a season too. We replace our best centre half and best player with a 20 year old loanee with 6 league starts in his entire career and a substitute right winger on high wages (albeit plus £10mil or so to patch together the rest of our team).

Sense at last !!!
Born to be a Wanderer!!
Some say Wisdom comes with age, I may be the exception !!

jimbo_bwfc
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jimbo_bwfc » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:39 pm

Don't see the opposition to Boyata loan. It's out of the Wilshere playbook. Sure, it will benefit City in the long run, but I'd rather see us bring him in than panic buy for a Cahill replacement and spend something like 6-7M on an average centre back.

Onouha is a good player but he's injury prone and has his faults. He's never worth 8M. I'd rather take our chances with the money. I'm sure we'd find someone better.

Gary Cahill is worth 10-12M max given he's out of contract next year with pretty much no intention to re-sign. If City weren't involved, we'd be fecked having to accept something like 7-8M from Arsenal to avoid losing him for free. At least with City we're going to get money plus a player plus a good loan.

SWP could add something a little bit different to our attack, we haven't really got out and out pace and he'll bring that. He's probably going to command a fair wage, but at the same time, you're getting an England international for free, paying him 2-2.5M p/y in wages is about right.

Main worry for me would be if Coyle is looking to bench or move on Lee. I'm hoping given our hopeless options on the left, Coyle plans to use Lee on that side of the pitch with SWP on the right.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:46 pm

I dont see SWP as a player for a full season on the right in all systems, so it worries me alos that he's another Petrov in the making.

Thing is, City want Cahill now, next year is next year. As it stands we are still in a good position because its early summer and he's a wanted man - im sure OC has explored all the options but i can understand that if a player doesnt want to come to us, we cant make em !

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:05 pm

SWP is a far better player than Petrov, and we need 2 good players in every position. We desparately needed a Right Winger last season when Lee went away. We were left with Rodrigo who isn't a Right winger.

SWP would be more than welcome, and he will get his fair share of games and keep Lee on his toes.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:08 pm

better than Petrov? Martin Petrov?

:doh:

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:23 pm

swp looks like a luxury to me

if cahill goes we have 3 areas that need critically seeing to and right wing isn't one of them

lets hope those rumours aren't true

LiOC
Reliable
Reliable

Post by LiOC » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:24 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:SWP is a far better player than Petrov, and we need 2 good players in every position. We desparately needed a Right Winger last season when Lee went away. We were left with Rodrigo who isn't a Right winger.

SWP would be more than welcome, and he will get his fair share of games and keep Lee on his toes.
2 good players in every position is fine as a target but having SWP as an understudy or in anyway not our established 1st choice is ridiculous on his wages. We couldn't afford to have back up as good as our first team in all positions nor would they want to settle for being backup if they were. We need to be improving our depth but paying SWP's wages will not let us do that.
Tbf rodrigo did well on the right. And we have 2 Lefties plus Gardner if he signs and ward when he returns as well as Holden who can play at right midfield. The cover would be there for lee I think. Right wing is not a priority

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:29 pm

SWP at his best offers pace and unpredictability, a bit like a younger Ricardo...unfortunately SWP is no longer at his best so if he does come we should pay him accordingly !

BWFC_Wyles
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BWFC_Wyles » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:14 pm

Lofthouse Lower wrote:better than Petrov? Martin Petrov?

:doh:
Mate, come on. Stop defending him. He had 2-3 good games ALL season! Time to ship him off, especially on the wages we must be paying him
"Anything else you'd like? How about real lead in the radiation shields? Urinal cakes, maybe?"

jimbo_bwfc
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jimbo_bwfc » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:38 pm

Some (and I use this phrase half-tounge in cheek again) "itk" bloke off Blue Moon says the Cahill deal is dead.

Although he seems to believe we were offered 12M, Onouha and Boyata on loan but wanted more. I doubt we'd reject that to be quite honest.

If they back out altogether though, I'd say that we're pretty fecked.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:54 pm

The transfer window is only three days old, there's no need to panic ourselves into accepting any old shite offer. Worst case scenario is we keep our best player for a year and then lose him for nothing. At the minute I'd rather do that, at least we'd be more likely to stay up.

I'm confident Boyata will turn out a good player one day, but I wouldn't bet our survival on it. That's where it differs from Wilshere ect. there was no real pressure on Jack to come good. In the deal with Onuoha, Boyata was a bit of a bonus added to an experienced (albeit fairly average) Premier League performer, as opposed to being Cahill's direct replacement.

If the best suggested use for SWP is to shoe-horn him into the side by playing Lee out of position, surely that's evidence enough that he's not the player we need?

Still, I think there's still weeks, if not months, left for this to run.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:40 am

Tombwfc wrote:The transfer window is only three days old, there's no need to panic ourselves into accepting any old shite offer. Worst case scenario is we keep our best player for a year and then lose him for nothing. At the minute I'd rather do that, at least we'd be more likely to stay up.

I'm confident Boyata will turn out a good player one day, but I wouldn't bet our survival on it. That's where it differs from Wilshere ect. there was no real pressure on Jack to come good. In the deal with Onuoha, Boyata was a bit of a bonus added to an experienced (albeit fairly average) Premier League performer, as opposed to being Cahill's direct replacement.

If the best suggested use for SWP is to shoe-horn him into the side by playing Lee out of position, surely that's evidence enough that he's not the player we need?

Still, I think there's still weeks, if not months, left for this to run.
Agreed
Pfffft.

Gaz Tomorrow
Promising
Promising

Post by Gaz Tomorrow » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:09 pm

LiOC wrote:
irie Cee Bee wrote:SWP is a far better player than Petrov, and we need 2 good players in every position. We desparately needed a Right Winger last season when Lee went away. We were left with Rodrigo who isn't a Right winger.

2 good players in every position is fine as a target but having SWP as an understudy or in anyway not our established 1st choice is ridiculous on his wages. We couldn't afford to have back up as good as our first team in all positions nor would they want to settle for being backup if they were. We need to be improving our depth but paying SWP's wages will not let us do that.
Tbf rodrigo did well on the right. And we have 2 Lefties plus Gardner if he signs and ward when he returns as well as Holden who can play at right midfield. The cover would be there for lee I think. Right wing is not a priority
Exactly this! We can't afford to have a second choice player on higher wages than the first choice. I assume SWP would demand higher wages then Lee and imho he simply isn't as good. As previously mentioned in this thread, SWP is a luxury that we can't afford as it will cost us in other areas.