Worst Away record in League

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Turkish Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Worst Away record in League

Post by Turkish Trotter » Sat May 14, 2011 3:04 pm

Yes, we've managed to be the worst away team this season. 11 points on our travels, Wolves just in front on 12.
What's so different, that we can't get a result away. 2 wins at Wolves and West ham is just not good enough. I cannot see how we win at Wigan, Fulham and Brum in cup, and be so poor in League.
Do we play the wrong tactics, are we just not good enough. This needs sorting before next season or we will be in a relegation fight from the off, I just hope we can do as well at home as this season.
Born to be a Wanderer!!
Some say Wisdom comes with age, I may be the exception !!

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Re: Worst Away record in League

Post by TKIZ! » Sat May 14, 2011 3:06 pm

Just playing 4-4-2 away from home puts a massive strain on the team and especially when two of three midfielders are crocked
Pfffft.

Turkish Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Turkish Trotter » Sat May 14, 2011 3:15 pm

TKIZ! wrote:Just playing 4-4-2 away from home puts a massive strain on the team and especially when two of three midfielders are crocked
Yes playing 4 4 2 away puts pressure on team, then the manager has it wrong then by playing wrong tactics.
Also the record of 2 wins is all season, so injuries to midfielders is not a reasonable excuse. they've not been injured all season.
Born to be a Wanderer!!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat May 14, 2011 3:53 pm

It deosn't help that we only have 3 decent midfielders. And whilst we're paying Sean Davis to sit on his arse (on probably a good contract, being a free signing) Coyle's hands have been tied trying to get more in. That and Tamir Cohen (bless his cotton socks) is just really not that good.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 14, 2011 4:30 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:It deosn't help that we only have 3 decent midfielders. And whilst we're paying Sean Davis to sit on his arse (on probably a good contract, being a free signing) Coyle's hands have been tied trying to get more in. That and Tamir Cohen (bless his cotton socks) is just really not that good.
It doesn't help that time after fecking time we play 4-4-2 away from home when its very evident that we don't have the skill, quality or mobility in midfield to do it. First world war general mentality.

Just keep going out and doing the same things and getting fooking dicked on week in week out. Not much fun for us at £35 a go!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat May 14, 2011 4:40 pm

Why isn't someone like Vela or Connloy even on the bench?

But yeah worst away record in the league...at least it's very evident it's a problem now, be interesting whether Coyle acknowledges it and does something about it.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat May 14, 2011 4:45 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Why isn't someone like Vela or Connloy even on the bench?

But yeah worst away record in the league...at least it's very evident it's a problem now, be interesting whether Coyle acknowledges it and does something about it.
It may happen against Citeh, they've pretty much got C/L stitched up so it's not like they got much to play for either. Expect Cahill to have a stormer next week
Pfffft.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sat May 14, 2011 5:20 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:It deosn't help that we only have 3 decent midfielders. And whilst we're paying Sean Davis to sit on his arse (on probably a good contract, being a free signing) Coyle's hands have been tied trying to get more in. That and Tamir Cohen (bless his cotton socks) is just really not that good.
we're paying stuart holden to do the same. and ricketts.

we even pay petrov to do it on the pitch.

:/

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat May 14, 2011 5:21 pm

a1 wrote:
we're paying stuart holden to do the same. and ricketts.

we even pay petrov to do it on the pitch.

:/
Erm they sit on the bench because they are injured
Pfffft.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sat May 14, 2011 5:22 pm

TKIZ! wrote: Erm they sit on the bench because they are injured
is sean davis not ?

well get him in the first team yesterday.

in a 4-5-1

jimbo_bwfc
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jimbo_bwfc » Sat May 14, 2011 5:53 pm

I do think there are some problems with how we set up away from home but we've shown in the cup that we can get results away from home.

Personally, I think the loss to Stuart Holden is the biggest reason for our failure because he's the one midfielder who can retain the ball under pressure, play the right passes, come short for the defenders. Our problem away tends to be the amount of time and space the opposition have on the ball running at our (crap) defence.

That doesn't excuse away performances earlier in the season, but we've kind of been unlucky in that a lot of winnable away games (Fulham, Blackburn, Birmingham, Blackpool) have all come after Holden's injury.

Bad timing. Although there problems with the way we play too, all our away form shouldn't be just based on whether one person is fit or not.
http://www.twitter.com/jderbyshirebwfc

"Like putting a tiara on a shirehorse"

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Sat May 14, 2011 6:28 pm

officer_dibble wrote:But yeah worst away record in the league...at least it's very evident it's a problem now, be interesting whether Coyle acknowledges it and does something about it.
He didn't at Burnley.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat May 14, 2011 7:18 pm

well yeah but he left them after half a premier league season

being officially the worst team away from home in the league....thats a definite, no glossing over that.

Owen knows, he will try to rectify it this summer.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat May 14, 2011 8:20 pm

Some real glass half empty types in here.
So what if our away form is the worst in the league? We've got the 6th best home form after United, Chelsea, Liverpool, City and Arsenal.
No one is banging on about that though.

I suppose in an ideal world if we'd have lost say 5 more games at home but won 5 more away then everyone would be happy. We'd still have exactly the same points but there wouldn't be a problem because at least we're not bottom of the away league table?

Fck me, Coyle is getting the basics right, starting with our home form.
Businesswoman of the year.

Turkish Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Turkish Trotter » Sat May 14, 2011 8:34 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:Some real glass half empty types in here.
So what if our away form is the worst in the league? We've got the 6th best home form after United, Chelsea, Liverpool, City and Arsenal.

I suppose in an ideal world if we'd have lost say 5 more games at home but won 5 more away then everyone would be happy. We'd still have exactly the same points but there wouldn't be a problem because at least we're not bottom of the away league table?

Yes we have the 6th best home record, but with a better away record we could have got that European slot that seems to be the aim ?? I know that the total points is the aim, and we can look at home games we've been lucky to win and away games we've unlucky to lose, but something is wrong with our tactics away from home and alot of money is spent travelling all over the country to watch abysmal performances.
Born to be a Wanderer!!

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat May 14, 2011 8:48 pm

Turkish Trotter wrote:Yes we have the 6th best home record, but with a better away record we could have got that European slot that seems to be the aim ?? I know that the total points is the aim, and we can look at home games we've been lucky to win and away games we've unlucky to lose, but something is wrong with our tactics away from home and alot of money is spent travelling all over the country to watch abysmal performances.
We'd have all liked Europe. But it's clear we're not ready for that yet given how we've fallen to pieces over the last handful of games.

Look, I see what you're saying-our away form is dreadful-but all things considered we've really not got too much to complain about this season.
Businesswoman of the year.

Turkish Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Turkish Trotter » Sat May 14, 2011 8:53 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
Turkish Trotter wrote:Yes we have the 6th best home record, but with a better away record we could have got that European slot that seems to be the aim ?? I know that the total points is the aim, and we can look at home games we've been lucky to win and away games we've unlucky to lose, but something is wrong with our tactics away from home and alot of money is spent travelling all over the country to watch abysmal performances.
We'd have all liked Europe. But it's clear we're not ready for that yet given how we've fallen to pieces over the last handful of games.

Look, I see what you're saying-our away form is dreadful-but all things considered we've really not got too much to complain about this season.
I agree that we aint ready for europe, and pre season would have been happy with were we are.
I just think that a slight change of tactics away would benefit us.
Born to be a Wanderer!!

Nobbys Belly
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Nobbys Belly » Sat May 14, 2011 8:57 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:Some real glass half empty types in here.

What he said
As long as the wind blows, fortunes can change.

Gaz Tomorrow
Promising
Promising

Post by Gaz Tomorrow » Sat May 14, 2011 9:01 pm

I don't think 4-4-2 helps. We're playing a style of football now (by that i mean November era) which is much more dynamic and 4-4-2 just doesn't cut it for me.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sat May 14, 2011 10:08 pm

we better not turn into wba under mowbray or similar.

"they play good football (but lose 4-0 every week)" *head pat* *token platitude, but not really bothered 'bout 'em* style comments from folk.

i think i'd be sick. sammy lee redux nightmares.