On this day, eleven years ago

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

On this day, eleven years ago

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon May 16, 2011 3:48 pm

What a megaprick :spank:
In May 2000 during a highly controversial Division One Play-off semi-final between Bolton Wanderers and Ipswich Town at Portman Road, Barry Knight handed out 12 yellow cards and two red cards to Mike Whitlow and Robbie Elliott of Bolton with not a single card to Ipswich and also saw fit to award Ipswich three penalties.

Many Bolton representatives, including manager Sam Allardyce, club captain Guðni Bergsson and Paul Warhurst would receive fines from the F.A. for comments relating to Knight's officiating of the game.

Knight never refereed a game at Bolton's Reebok Stadium again.

scotty
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: On this day, eleven years ago

Post by scotty » Mon May 16, 2011 3:58 pm

I can distinctly remember this game, the refereeing was an absolute disgrace. If it wasn't such an important game, it would have been laughable.

It was only down to Allardyce that we managed to recover and gain promotion the year after despite selling half our first team.
Who's that coming up the hill boys,
The Wanderers are coming up the hill boys,
They all laugh at us, they all mock at us,
They all say our days are numbered,

Born to be a Wanderer, victorious are we....

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Mon May 16, 2011 4:02 pm

Gutted it happened at the time. But in terms of historical context we've done alright by it afterwards
Pfffft.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 16, 2011 4:17 pm

Know I've said this before but I was reporting from a launch party for a Bluetones album, getting text updates from the ground. Guitarist Adam was in turns fascinated, appalled and consoling.

BwfcDan
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BwfcDan » Mon May 16, 2011 4:26 pm

He's got bad knees these days. Im hopeful they're agony for him when he wakes up in a morning...
"Im a big fish in a small pond"... "Your not a big fish! Your not even a fish!"

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Mon May 16, 2011 4:32 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Know I've said this before but I was reporting from a launch party for a Bluetones album, getting text updates from the ground. Guitarist Adam was in turns fascinated, appalled and consoling.
I had a date the other day with a girl who used to be a gf of someone from the bluetones.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 16, 2011 4:34 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Know I've said this before but I was reporting from a launch party for a Bluetones album, getting text updates from the ground. Guitarist Adam was in turns fascinated, appalled and consoling.
I had a date the other day with a girl who used to be a gf of someone from the bluetones.
Lovely lads, bless 'em. Mind, I didn't go out with any of them.

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Mon May 16, 2011 4:40 pm

i remember going. was truly horrific watching the sheer injustice unfolding before your eyes. their 2nd pen (which they actually missed) was the worst single penalty decision i've ever seen. including the j'lloyd samuel tackle on ronaldo at old trafford.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Mon May 16, 2011 4:44 pm

I was more concerned at the time it was Jim Magilton with a hat-trick
Pfffft.

hi there, i'm chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by hi there, i'm chris » Mon May 16, 2011 5:21 pm

James B wrote:i remember going. was truly horrific watching the sheer injustice unfolding before your eyes. their 2nd pen (which they actually missed) was the worst single penalty decision i've ever seen. including the j'lloyd samuel tackle on ronaldo at old trafford.
Wasn't that the one when Paul Richie semi flung David Johnson to the floor in the box despite the ball being near their penalty box?

Can't believe Jim Magilton scored a hatrick.

Also can't believe Barry Knight refereed us again, at Norwich of all places.
http://www.twitter.com/chrisbradish" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon May 16, 2011 6:22 pm

Lofthouse Lower wrote:What a megaprick :spank:
In May 2000 during a highly controversial Division One Play-off semi-final between Bolton Wanderers and Ipswich Town at Portman Road, Barry Knight handed out 12 yellow cards and two red cards to Mike Whitlow and Robbie Elliott of Bolton with not a single card to Ipswich and also saw fit to award Ipswich three penalties.

Many Bolton representatives, including manager Sam Allardyce, club captain Guðni Bergsson and Paul Warhurst would receive fines from the F.A. for comments relating to Knight's officiating of the game.

Knight never refereed a game at Bolton's Reebok Stadium again.
Bloody hell. How many games were they suspended for? :shock:

Unfortunately, I remember the evening only too well. Still, as said above it didn't do us too much harm in the long run.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon May 16, 2011 10:08 pm

scotty wrote:I can distinctly remember this game, the refereeing was an absolute disgrace. If it wasn't such an important game, it would have been laughable.

It was only down to Allardyce that we managed to recover and gain promotion the year after despite selling half our first team.
Its an amazing achievemnet when you think about it. he effectively got us up the next season with his squad players from the previous.

As for Knight, the last few years have erased that one for me. I was incedibly bitter about it until we helped send them back down, mind.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Mon May 16, 2011 11:11 pm

He lives not a million miles from me in SE London. I remember my wife coming home from a local pub a few years back and telling me that a referee - "I think he was called Barry Knight, do you know him?" - had drawn the raffle. It was all she could do to stop me legging it down there to chin him!!
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue May 17, 2011 10:41 am

TonyDomingos wrote:He lives not a million miles from me in SE London. I remember my wife coming home from a local pub a few years back and telling me that a referee - "I think he was called Barry Knight, do you know him?" - had drawn the raffle. It was all she could do to stop me legging it down there to chin him!!
She must be a strong lass Tony. I'd do it to this day.

Sometimes it's clear the decisions aren't just wrong, or a bit controvertial, but just plain bent. This was an occasion like that.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC_Wyles
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BWFC_Wyles » Tue May 17, 2011 10:58 am

Worst journey home EVER. Oh no, second behind April 17th 2011...so.... second worst journey home EVER!
"Anything else you'd like? How about real lead in the radiation shields? Urinal cakes, maybe?"

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Tue May 17, 2011 11:32 am

ipswich at least ten times worse than stoke for me. but that is probably more indicative of my attitude towards the game now than back then.

BWFC_Wyles
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BWFC_Wyles » Tue May 17, 2011 1:23 pm

James B wrote:ipswich at least ten times worse than stoke for me. but that is probably more indicative of my attitude towards the game now than back then.
I expected to beat Stoke. I was uncertain about Ipswich. At least the lads in 2000 gave a seriously outstanding account of themselves against all odds.
Best part of the game was when Ipswich made it 2-2 and they were singing "You're not singing anymore". Literally 20 seconds later, Jussi punted it downfield, Deano chested it down and Allan Johnston volleyed it home from 25 yards out!
"Anything else you'd like? How about real lead in the radiation shields? Urinal cakes, maybe?"