Ricardo Gardner

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

keveh
Icon
Icon

Ricardo Gardner

Post by keveh » Mon May 23, 2011 9:44 am

So it looks like Gardner (along with others we aren't bothered about) is being released.

Surely he deserves a testimonial?

I for one am gutted to see him leave, he's been a great player for us. Just a shame his knee's are buggered.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Ricardo Gardner

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon May 23, 2011 9:48 am

A fantastic buy for us, has given us sterling service over the years.

Perhaps his knees aren't up to playing fullback any more, certainly none of our managers has seen fit to play him there for quite some time.

I'm guessing his ongoing fitness problems are the reason, I'd like to think, and its something that Coyle alluded to in his post-match interview.

Still a shame though, but has seemed inevitable for a few months. The place won't quite be the same without him. Many thanks for the good times Ricardo. And for spilling my pint in Munich.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

mighty_whites
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by mighty_whites » Mon May 23, 2011 9:56 am

Fantastic player, hope he gets a one year deal, deserves it for amazing service to the club. Rica rica ricardo ricar ricar ricardo, and who can forget his perhaps one and only time he got the ball on target after an amazing run against Preston to get us in the prem all them years ago hahaha

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Mon May 23, 2011 10:23 am

A great servant to the club. Hope he gets fixed up quickly.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Mon May 23, 2011 10:26 am

ratbert wrote:A great servant to the club. Hope he gets fixed up quickly.
PNE the obvious destination, I would've thought. Think he made some friends there whilst on loan. Hope it works out for him and yes, he should be awarded a testimonial.

Wanderer1983
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Wanderer1983 » Mon May 23, 2011 10:56 am

Surprised were letting him go in all honesty. Showed in the last few games he's decent backup and surely he cant be on massive wages?!

Good luck to him though been a great servant to the club and deserves a testimonial.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon May 23, 2011 11:03 am

I'd imagine hes on fairly big wages because of long service, but I don't see how that can't be renegotiated as a short term deal to reflect his "squad" status, and I agree that he would be good backup. That is if his knees aren't completely knacked, or theres real problems with the wage budget.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 23, 2011 11:23 am

At this stage of the summer it's easy to panic. We're "expected" to release five today, with Elmander also going and two loanees leaving; that makes the squad look small, but it gives Coyle a heck of a lot of elbow room. We've said awhile that the deadwood needs clearing out, and although it's harsh to apply the term to a steadfast servant who could offer versatile back-up, the fact is he's not been in the first-team picture, there are question marks over his long-term viability (he turns 33 in September), and he's quite possibly on a disproportionately good wage for his input. Inasmuch as folk "need" one these days, the man deserves a testimonial, but the player may not be worth the money we'd need to pay him.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 23, 2011 11:38 am

Here you go - according to the BEN;

Ricardo Gardner, Tamir Cohen, Jlloyd Samuel, Robbie Blake and Joey O’Brien are not expected to be offered new deals to stay at the Reebok.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 23, 2011 11:40 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Here you go - according to the BEN;

Ricardo Gardner, Tamir Cohen, Jlloyd Samuel, Robbie Blake and Joey O’Brien are not expected to be offered new deals to stay at the Reebok.
Aye - and although that's an "expected" story rather than official, it also says there'll be an announcement made today. That'll be true of many top-flight clubs, so expect some list-poring - by forummers and managers.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Mon May 23, 2011 12:02 pm

Wish him the best. Always liked Gardner, and a shame injuries have contributed to his leaving. Still lots of good memories.

Certainly sounds like we are going to be active this summer. We already have the smallest squad and that now makes 8 gone with most likely at least 2 more to go.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 23, 2011 12:09 pm

The only player ever to have kicked a ball that landed outside the stadium.

Had a cauliflower arse - he went to ground that easily that I often wondered if he was playing in his going-out shoes.

Injury prone.

Great to watch though! :wink:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon May 23, 2011 12:15 pm

Posted in the transfer thread so I thought I'd pay tribute here too.

Don't remember this lad ever moaning about playing. No controversy off the pitch.

And I'll always remember him for the first goal in Munich

Well done, Ricky lad. You'll do for me!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon May 23, 2011 12:26 pm

Great memories and a player that does have genuine 'Legend' status at the club.

Not always a great footballer, but certainly a great BWFC player
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Mon May 23, 2011 1:00 pm

Ricky's a good lad. If he could keep fit then I would love to have seen him stay.

Fairwell.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Loyal White
Promising
Promising

Post by Loyal White » Mon May 23, 2011 1:06 pm

I thought he might get a new one year deal as Robbo cover given the situation with Alonso at the moment.

That said, wish him all the best. Has been a fantastic professional and a great servant. Some fantastic memories too (not least Munich).

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Mon May 23, 2011 1:13 pm

Sad to see him go but can understand why he's being released.

Left some great memories for me whilst playing for us, as far back as me feeling proud we had a player in the World Cup in 1998 just after he signed. Some of the goals he scored - he made cutting inside and drilling a shot across the keeper almost look like a trademark of his for a while.

The goals in Cardiff and Munich of course, but Ill not forget the one at home to Newcastle on Boxing Day, his winner against West Ham in the massive 1-0 victory over them a season before the even massive-er 1-0 win over them that Okocha scored in, or one he scored against Liverpool at home in a 3-2 defeat, a great finish under the keeper.

He was also a laugh when he used to come to the drive thru I used to work at in KFC, turning up in a smoke filled monster of a car with blacked out windows full of his mates. Not the only buckets they'd be tucking into those nights I guess!

Cheers Ricardo, and good luck for the future.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon May 23, 2011 1:18 pm

Good reminder on the Newcastle one. Good game that, and a good goal. (Din't Okocha score a similar one in the same game?).

The pragmatist in me says first and foremost the lad has represented phenomenal value for money in his time with us.

Wonder at the time of signing whether we, or him, would have imagined we'd be saying farewell after a decade in the top flight?

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Mon May 23, 2011 1:20 pm

One of my favourite ever Wanderers! Will be pretty sad seeing him lining up in someone else's squad come next season.

Owen_Coyle
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Owen_Coyle » Mon May 23, 2011 1:47 pm

I'm gutted that he is leaving, and I must admit that being in the team the last few weeks I though OC was going to extend his stay. I just hope that he gets someone in to replace him who is better, cos that will be a tall order I predict.

The thing about Gardner is that he is capable of doing something magic and out-of-the-ordinary, ie. a match winning (or turning) action, and I think those sort of players should be valued as they are in short supply.

Still think he's the best left back at the club, even at his age and recent injury record, and showed even yesterday that he is still full of running, and has never given anything less than 100%

Will miss him greatly as he has always been a firm favourite of mine.