The Only way is Up? - The Gooners match thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: The Only way is Up? - The Gooners match thread

Post by Sponge » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:33 am

officer_dibble wrote:Im in two minds as to whether we should chuck the towel in now against chelsea and not bother turning up. all it will serve is further hits to the gd; and the way things are going at the moment bring injuries and suspensions.
Er, I don't think it's possible to literally not turn up to a game?

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:43 am

Well as they've spent more money than us, clearly it's a foregone conclusion we should expect us to turn up and be shit and get a battering :conf:

beer_swiller
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by beer_swiller » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:01 am

If the football authorities continue to allow players cheat their way through games I`m affraid it will be last straw for me.

Bolton Wanderers have been my life and will continue to be so, but I`m so pisst off watching fraudulent over paid primadonna`s behave in such manner every week I no longer want to watch it. Clattenburg did if for me yeaterday, Walcott should have got a card for part.

As for the slating of Coyle, the only grevience I do have is at left back. Robinson is so whole hearted for the cause but he`s too slow to get back. Most the goals conceded have come from down that right side. I went to Villa Wed night and saw Ricky Gardner have a blinder, he offers pace and does get stuck in.

Time for Owen to earn his corn.
Denn

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:17 am

officer_dibble wrote:One more defeat and we're good.to.go. bopefully.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:24 am

Gardner could not play yesterday as his calf muscle were apparently 'shot to bits'. Ricky is a one game every so often man now, not a first team regular!

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:28 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Gardner could not play yesterday as his calf muscle were apparently 'shot to bits'. Ricky is a one game every so often man now, not a first team regular!
Shot to bits sounds like he will be months out. Is it fecked again, or just still sore from the mid week game, his first game in quite some time?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:01 am

seanworth wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Gardner could not play yesterday as his calf muscle were apparently 'shot to bits'. Ricky is a one game every so often man now, not a first team regular!
Shot to bits sounds like he will be months out. Is it fecked again, or just still sore from the mid week game, his first game in quite some time?
Think it's a case of given age and injuries he will never be able play game after game anymore! He was on the bench but presumably as a last resort.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:03 am

If thats the case legend or not it will be one of Coyles stupidist calls!!! along with that blake bloke!!!
I'm really begining to doubt Coyles all round ability as a manager the results and more important the way we have been playing since "that" game at wembley have been overall crap. For me the solution would be clear out the old guard and work on changes to the formation for specific oppo's or even during games and actually start to carry out the Coyle passing fable!!

Abs
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Abs » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:06 am

good win for us yesterday. you guys did well in the first half, but taking ngog really did hurt you and as difficult Davies has been against us, his legs are gone, so by just playing high up the defence, he cant really do anything even if he wins his headers.

Your form is very bad for now, but I still dont think you will go done. But Coyle needs to be brave now and put his faith in the likes of Ngog, Kakuta and Tuncay. Sure the two youngsters will make mistakes, but they are capable of making alot of damage with their ability and pace.

We have had really poor start of the season, but dont let the media fool you, we are still a very good team with very good players. And last thing, get a left back as your left side is always gonna get targeted

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:09 am

Hoboh wrote:
If thats the case legend or not it will be one of Coyles stupidist calls!!! along with that blake bloke!!!
I'm really begining to doubt Coyles all round ability as a manager the results and more important the way we have been playing since "that" game at wembley have been overall crap. For me the solution would be clear out the old guard and work on changes to the formation for specific oppo's or even during games and actually start to carry out the Coyle passing fable!!
Without knowing what Gardner is being paid then that's impossible to judge! Let's not do what some folk did with Megson and find fault with every little thing, rational or not!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:14 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Without knowing what Gardner is being paid then that's impossible to judge! Let's not do what some folk did with Megson and find fault with every little thing, rational or not!
If he's paid per game he plays fair enough otherwise stupidity!!!

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:43 am

Hoboh wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
If he's paid per game he plays fair enough otherwise stupidity!!!
I think there is a lot of speculation going on here although I agree that it is unlikely he will be able to play every match. Right now we have two players (Holden and Gardner) who after returning from lengthy injuries played mid week. Instead of pulling an Arsenal and rushing them back into action he took the more cautionary approach to reduce the chance of any setbacks. Think most of us did not expect either of those players to start this week because of their mid week action. Since Gardner was on the bench I guess his calf wasn't quite so shot to bits. I hope to see more out of them in the coming weeks. Gardner is a risk though, and I'm sure as you stated his salary is probably fairly low, maybe with performance bonuses included.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:07 pm

Sounds like gardner is in the ledley king bracket then

Shame Alonso is utterly fecking hopeless (and cost money). We'll have to muddle through with robbo and sort it in Jan if thats the case. Maybe petrov can be taught to track back....whats that laughing i can hear?

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:01 pm

What's the source on Gardner's calf being "shot to bits"?

We've never given a toss about fielding less than seven subs before, why would we even bother taking him and putting him on the bench? Why wouldn't we have just stuck Blake on there or Riley/Blakeman/O'Halloran/whoever?

He played 3 games in 11 days for Preston last March, so his fitness can't be that bad.

hi there, i'm chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by hi there, i'm chris » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:15 pm

Tombwfc wrote:What's the source on Gardner's calf being "shot to bits"?

We've never given a toss about fielding less than seven subs before, why would we even bother taking him and putting him on the bench? Why wouldn't we have just stuck Blake on there or Riley/Blakeman/O'Halloran/whoever?

He played 3 games in 11 days for Preston last March, so his fitness can't be that bad.
Coyle said it.
http://www.twitter.com/chrisbradish" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Friend just texted me to say that Coyle now has a worse PPG record in the premiership than Colin Todd and Gary Megson. No idea if it's true but if it is it's a shocking statistic!

you're easily shocked! 8)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:19 pm

ashley cole at the training ground?

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:30 pm

thebish wrote:

ashley cole at the training ground?
:D

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:31 pm

If only! We'd be all right then!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:35 pm

The scoreline flattered us, we didn't play well, its just you were worse... Sending off was probably a bit harsh too, and changed the game. You've had a nightmare run of games to start with but (after Chelsea) I reckon you'll be fine.