Would anyone get involved in a Bolton Ultras group?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Would anyone get involved in a Bolton Ultras group?

Post by TKIZ! » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:20 pm

I'm not thinking of starting one, just heard that Crystal Palace have a very organised group, I also don't mean idiots that pretend they are supporters and fight outside the ground.

Just interested what people think?
Pfffft.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Re: Would anyone get involved in a Bolton Ultras group?

Post by General Mannerheim » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:55 pm

bit gay innit.

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:42 pm

Been interested in this for a while, not into getting involved in one I mean, just in terms of seeing what other fans are up to. Its the norm in Europe, the Americas etc, theres a few groups in Scotland even, but here I just feel that it doesnt work - mindset, culture, whatever, it just doesnt seem to "fit" English fan culture.

Palace have a group, Aldershot, Accrington, York, Sheffield Wednesday are having a go, and a few others too. I really like the idea that a group of fans get together, have meetings, make big flags and really feel proud of their team no matter how theyre doing and think of new ways of supporting their team, but something just doesnt feel right with it. Milan, Boca, Red Star Belgrade yes... a bunch of lads in Scotts, no.

Having said all that though, if Bolton started one, maybe Id have a look into it!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:52 pm

Went to an Espanyol game a year ago. They sat us as far as possible from the Ultras (big group of English lads). At HT we shifted round as close as we could get to them. A guy with a microphone and huge speakers amongst them, getting them going. Atmosphere was terrific. Game was a bit rubbish mind. But that wasn't the question.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

ebby
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ebby » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:26 pm

I went watching FC Union in Berlin a couple of months back now I dunno if you class their supporters as Ultras or not but they all gave up their own time help build the stadium.

The game was amazing, the team actually lost 4-1, missed a penalty and got a man sent off but fans were singing until the end, the atmosphere was amazing all game, and the team even did a lap of honour, it was bizarre.

If we could have even half as good support as that Bolton it would be amazing so if forming an ultras group helps to do that kind of thing then I'd be supportive.

BwfcDan
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BwfcDan » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:00 pm

I'm sure it would create some sort of atmosphere at the Reebok so I'm all for it. I'm sure the West Stand lot will oppose, they don't like change... Or atmosphere... Or football...
"Im a big fish in a small pond"... "Your not a big fish! Your not even a fish!"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:15 pm

Sorry, could one of you just let let me know what consitutes 'Ultra' membership criteria? Just so that I can avoid becoming mistaken for one? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:09 am

Erm, I know the Lazio Ultras and a couple of other clubs in Italy have political leanings towards the far right. It depends how you would define the "Ultras" and what purpose they serve.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:58 am

Dr.Karl wrote:Erm, I know the Lazio Ultras and a couple of other clubs in Italy have political leanings towards the far right. It depends how you would define the "Ultras" and what purpose they serve.
I think when we refer to "Ultras", we simply mean an elaborately-phrased way of saying "a group of Uber-Fans". A group that gets atmosphere going etc.

martin1877coywm
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by martin1877coywm » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:52 am

Dr.Karl wrote:Erm, I know the Lazio Ultras and a couple of other clubs in Italy have political leanings towards the far right. It depends how you would define the "Ultras" and what purpose they serve.
You mean nazis?

A lot of teams in the MLS have it. It makes for a great atmosphere and will stop eveyrone calling us one of the quietest fans in the league.

Horza
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Horza » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:11 am

You don't even have to call yourself ultras.
"Any useless person; any liar; any drunkard; anyone under the influence; anyone high on drugs; can talk on the Internet, and you read what he writes and you believe it."
- Muammar Gaddafi, 16/1/2011

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:37 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuwVi8dSQWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lech Poznan ultra's at U-12's match against Spurs, mental.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:53 am

I watched a documentary about Nazis once, does that mean I qualify?

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:11 am

Aren't ultras just people who have nothing else going on in their lives and are looking for a sense of belonging?

BwfcDan
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BwfcDan » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:06 am

jmjhb wrote:Aren't ultras just people who have nothing else going on in their lives and are looking for a sense of belonging?
No, that's just football fans in general.

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:40 am

ebby wrote:I went watching FC Union in Berlin a couple of months back now I dunno if you class their supporters as Ultras or not but they all gave up their own time help build the stadium.

The game was amazing, the team actually lost 4-1, missed a penalty and got a man sent off but fans were singing until the end, the atmosphere was amazing all game, and the team even did a lap of honour, it was bizarre.

If we could have even half as good support as that Bolton it would be amazing so if forming an ultras group helps to do that kind of thing then I'd be supportive.
Ive seen Hertha Berlin a couple of times and they always do a lap of honour then sit down in front of the part of the stand housing the main support for a while taking in the atmosphere, regardless of the result

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:04 am

martin1877coywm wrote:A lot of teams in the MLS have it. It makes for a great atmosphere and will stop eveyrone calling us one of the quietest fans in the league.
Have only been to games at Chicago, but standing in with the Section 8 lot is among the best atmospheres I've been in.

Yes, some 'ultras' have abhorrent political leanings, but so do some fans who don't wave flags or sing. A bigger problem would be ennui and laziness - embarrassing really when you consider that Accrington and York can be bothered.

Good luck - wholeheartedly, not sarcastically - to anybody trying to start up a Bolton Ultras group (the name's already got a great internal rhythm and rhyme). Showing pride, getting behind the team whether they're winning or losing, these are the things that 'fans' used to do. Now we've been treated as 'customers' or 'consumers' many of us feel no guilt at all about moaning at substandard goods - but we also lose a bit of that identity and pride. Works both ways for both parties.

BwfcDan
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BwfcDan » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:54 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
martin1877coywm wrote:A lot of teams in the MLS have it. It makes for a great atmosphere and will stop eveyrone calling us one of the quietest fans in the league.
Have only been to games at Chicago, but standing in with the Section 8 lot is among the best atmospheres I've been in.

Yes, some 'ultras' have abhorrent political leanings, but so do some fans who don't wave flags or sing. A bigger problem would be ennui and laziness - embarrassing really when you consider that Accrington and York can be bothered.

Good luck - wholeheartedly, not sarcastically - to anybody trying to start up a Bolton Ultras group (the name's already got a great internal rhythm and rhyme). Showing pride, getting behind the team whether they're winning or losing, these are the things that 'fans' used to do. Now we've been treated as 'customers' or 'consumers' many of us feel no guilt at all about moaning at substandard goods - but we also lose a bit of that identity and pride. Works both ways for both parties.
Nothing on the Section 6 mob :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Sorry, could one of you just let let me know what consitutes 'Ultra' membership criteria? Just so that I can avoid becoming mistaken for one? :conf:
Be a bit ghey and have no mates. You application form is in the post. :mrgreen:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:58 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Sorry, could one of you just let let me know what consitutes 'Ultra' membership criteria? Just so that I can avoid becoming mistaken for one? :conf:
Be a bit ghey and have no mates. You application form is in the post. :mrgreen:
Surely no application needed :D

I'm just nipping out for fireworks, bedsheets and paint!
May the bridges I burn light your way