The non-knee jerking "Where next" thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Choppers
Reliable
Reliable

The non-knee jerking "Where next" thread

Post by Choppers » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:31 pm

So, the run of fixtures is over, and let's be honest - apart from Norwich, most of the scorelines weren't unexpected.

What is important though, is that we've learn something about our set of players, given the rotation that Coyle has used.

Jussi is always going to be the keeper, Bogdan looked nervous against Chelsea, and rightfully so.

So where does that leave us?

Defence: Boyata, Cahill, Knight, ?????

Steinsson is shot, he's just not good enough any more. Robinson the same, his pace and positioning is more often than not, very bad. I'd try Gardner at left back to be honest, because he can't be any slower than Robbo.

Alternatively, if Boyata can play left back, then Cahill on the right with perhaps Knight and Wheater in the middle?

Midfield: Petrov, Pratley, Muamba, Eagles

I still maintain Reo-Coker isn't good enough, and can't pass well enough to play how Coyle wants. Petrov on the right, and Eagles on the left worked a lot better against Chelsea, and you can't leave Petrov out as he's pretty much the ONLY place our goal attempts are coming from. I also think Boyata is so much better than Steinsson, that he can cope with Petrov's poor defensive play a lot better.

Pratley did more in 90 minutes than the rest of our midfield has done all season, energy, tackling, passing, and running from midfield. I see why Coyle wanted him.

Forwards: N'Gog, Davies

Klasnic does so little during a match, we can't play with 10 men, because by the time Ivan has scored his goal, we're 3 down.

I'd be tempted to drop Davies for Tuncay, but Coyle had that chance, and he can't drop Davo again.

So that leaves us with, imho, this team:

---------------Jussi------------------

Boyata----Cahill----Knight-----Gardner

Petrov----Pratley--Muamba-----Eagles

----------Davies---N'Gog--------------

So, over to everyone else - Where do we go from here?
http://www.godisageek.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | A Videogame Site With A Difference
http://www.twitter.com/jebusf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | Twitter

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Re: The non-knee jerking "Where next" thread

Post by bedwetter2 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:43 pm

Choppers wrote:So, the run of fixtures is over, and let's be honest - apart from Norwich, most of the scorelines weren't unexpected.

What is important though, is that we've learn something about our set of players, given the rotation that Coyle has used.

Jussi is always going to be the keeper, Bogdan looked nervous against Chelsea, and rightfully so.

Steinsson is shot, he's just not good enough any more. Robinson the same, his pace and positioning is more often than not, very bad. I'd try Gardner at left back to be honest, because he can't be any slower than Robbo.

Alternatively, if Boyata can play left back, then Cahill on the right with perhaps Knight and Wheater in the middle?

I still maintain Reo-Coker isn't good enough, and can't pass well enough to play how Coyle wants. Petrov on the right, and Eagles on the left worked a lot better against Chelsea, and you can't leave Petrov out as he's pretty much the ONLY place our goal attempts are coming from. I also think Boyata is so much better than Steinsson, that he can cope with Petrov's poor defensive play a lot better.

Pratley did more in 90 minutes than the rest of our midfield has done all season, energy, tackling, passing, and running from midfield. I see why Coyle wanted him.

Klasnic does so little during a match, we can't play with 10 men, because by the time Ivan has scored his goal, we're 3 down.

I'd be tempted to drop Davies for Tuncay, but Coyle had that chance, and he can't drop Davo again.

We may have learnt something, but has Coyle really?
Totally disagree with the continued playing of Davies. Room must be found to play Kakuta whilst he is here, purely for his pace and the panic that will cause to opponents. Tuncay would also get a place in my starting line-up in a 4-1-4-1 arrangement where Muamba is the back '1' in front of the defence. Also wouldn't play Knight if Wheater is available and I'm not sure that Eagles is good enough to start a game in the Premiership.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:44 pm

Reo-Coker isn't good enough? He's been our best player this season.

jimbo_bwfc
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jimbo_bwfc » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:46 pm

The worrying thing is, I can't pick a team or formation, nor can Coyle it seems.

Too many problems and not enough solutions in reserve.

Can't play Petrov/Robinson down the same wing. One is lazy and petulant the other is slow and abit crap.
We can't go 4-4-2 without a Holden type midfielder but we no longer have one now he's injured.

Think I'd stick with 4-3-3 even though we just got thrashed with it.

Jussi
Boyata
Cahill
Knight/Wheater
Gardner
Muamba
Reo-Coker
M.Davies
Petrov
Tuncay
NGog
http://www.twitter.com/jderbyshirebwfc

"Like putting a tiara on a shirehorse"

Choppers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Choppers » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:58 pm

jmjhb wrote:Reo-Coker isn't good enough? He's been our best player this season.
Not in my opinion, sorry.
http://www.godisageek.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | A Videogame Site With A Difference
http://www.twitter.com/jebusf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | Twitter

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:01 pm

The results weren't unexpected, but I disagree where the scorelines themselves are concerned. These reflect a very poor, disjointed defensive effort from our boys.

I hope Coyle can:
a) settle on his best XI and start to build a team that can gel
b) develop a system that helps improve our defensive ability at set plays
c) solve the left-side problem, which appears to be achieved by splitting up Petrov and Robbo

He's got a massive two weeks to pick the boys up and reboot the season

If we'd have had results like City then I'm sure we'd have bounced into the break, but now after a month of having our bellies tickled and helping to launch Norwich's season, re-launch Lampard's career and helping Hernandez get his only goals of the season to date there'll be lots of eyes glanced at feet

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:01 pm

Choppers wrote:So, the run of fixtures is over, and let's be honest - apart from Norwich, most of the scorelines weren't unexpected.

i think that applies to petrov aswell

we got hammered, But don't worry at least petrov stuck a few good crosses in hey
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:06 pm

I don't know is the simple answer. I am out of suggestions, I do think that Coyle may have a maximum of two games to turn this round before Eddie Davies decides enough is enough!

That's not my opinion on Coyle but we are at Sammy Lee levels of shitness right now, and if it doesnt show any signs of changing in the next couple then who knows? As it stands I can't see how we can stay up. Too many players not performing, a mangager who is chopping and changing week in week out, but not addressing the actual problems, and a complete lack of structure and organisation all round!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:22 pm

Klasnic has been our best player this season. he's 'only' a goal grabber and yet does 10 times the work of donkey davies. 442 is only the right formation some of the time. And when you haemorage goals like we are at that moment this isnt the time. My team would be:
Jussi
Boyota
Wheater
Cahill
Gardner
Reo C
Muamba
Mark Davies
Tuncay
Petrov
Klasnic/Ngog
451/4231

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:23 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Klasnic has been our best player this season. he's 'only' a goal grabber and yet does 10 times the work of donkey davies. 442 is only the right formation some of the time. And when you haemorage goals like we are at that moment this isnt the time. My team would be:
Jussi
Boyota
Wheater
Cahill
Gardner
Reo C
Muamba
Mark Davies
Tuncay
Petrov
Klasnic/Ngog
451/4231
We went 4-0 down playing 4-5-1 today and looked more solid with a 4-4-2!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:24 pm

And? But yeah defensively at least the answers in the organisationand training. We're comic cuts at the back. Concede the same goals each week.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:04 pm

Choppers wrote:So that leaves us with, imho, this team:

No idea what your problem is with NRC. He doesn't make fantasy passes like Gerrard but he's good at what he does imho.

Mine's very similar, I like Petrov being on the same side as Boyata, if Boyata is being a fullback...

Petrov----Pratley-------NRC-----Eagles

----Davies/Tuncay---N'Gog---------
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Burnden Cat
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Burnden Cat » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:20 pm

Given the personnel at our disposal, play Cahill in front of the two centre halves to stop teams getting at us so quickly once we lose possession.

Up front is justa case of horses for courses, freshness, form etc.

Jaaskelainen
Boyata Knight Wheater Gardner
Cahill
NRC Muamba Pratley

Davies/Ngog/Klasnic

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:23 pm

Not only does nobody on here know what Coyles best team is, more worrying is that he hasn't got a clue, either

FFS, the penny finally drops that Knight and Cahill is shite, so he gives up on it 45 minutes in

He's out of ideas, but hey, we played some good stuff for a month last Novemeber, so alls well

We are absolutely dogshit at the moment

Disorganised, clueless, shambolic

Devoid of fight, devoid of leadership

Come on, who would put any money on guessing Coyles first choice XI v Wigan?

If it aint got Muamba in it, he can fcuk right off

I left with half an hour to go today...its embarrassing
Sto ut Serviam

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:23 pm

Burnden Cat wrote:Given the personnel at our disposal, play Cahill in front of the two centre halves to stop teams getting at us so quickly once we lose possession.

Up front is justa case of horses for courses, freshness, form etc.

Jaaskelainen
Boyata Knight Wheater Gardner
Cahill
NRC Muamba Pratley

Davies/Ngog/Klasnic

it's funny you should mention this cus i always thought he would be decnt there
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:25 pm

Dibs - name a Klasnic goal that's earned a point

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:29 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:If it aint got Muamba in it, he can fcuk right off
I'm not a STH but from what I've seen Muamba loses the ball very easily, albeit he breaks up their play too.

In our new passing style can we afford to have a Muamba on the pitch?
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:33 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:Dibs - name a Klasnic goal that's earned a point
A point, what's one of them?

Loyal White
Promising
Promising

Post by Loyal White » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:34 pm

We need to settle on a system and our best team and try and get some stability and cohesion in the team.

For me Petrov needs to come out until we get a more stable base, he offers nothing defensively and we can't carry a luxury player at the moment.

Keeper-wise, Jussi is coming to the end but he's far better than Bodgan who showed today he still has a lot to learn, I think he could benefit from a year out on loan somewhere but unfortunately I don't think we're in a position to give it him at the moment.

Defensively, we have little option to Robinson at left-back and with Wheater suspended for our next two games our options are limited in needing to chose three from Steinsson, Cahill, Boyata and Knight. All of whom have looked poor and liabilities.

Midfield, Reo-Coker has been a sole shining light. Wins the ball and looks comfortable in possession. Muamba also needs to return as he offers us some solidarity in midfield. Gardner had a decent game today and also offers Robinson cover which he badly needs. Right-wing, chose from Eagles or Kakuta dependent on who Coyle has the most faith with.

Up front, Ngog looks useful but needs support. Tuncay is strange as he seems able to thread a beautiful slide rule ball but unable to pass 3 yards. Again i'm not sure if we're in a position to carry Klasnic who scores but offers little defensively. Kev needs to be restricted to impact sub as he looks gone.

Team;

Jussi
Boyata, Cahill, Knight, Robinson
Eagles, NRC, Muamba, Gardner
Tuncay/M. Davies
Ngog

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:34 pm

Not having two of the Premier League's top tacklers last season in the team is definitely hurting us. We're too soft without. And besides, Muamba giving the ball away is precious little difference than if it were Pratley or Petrov