The non-knee jerking "Where next" thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

William the White
Legend
Legend

Re: The non-knee jerking "Where next" thread

Post by William the White » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:20 pm

Beefheart wrote:
William the White wrote:
Beefheart wrote:Also Gardner has staked his claim for a regular starting place in my opinion, and it makes me happy to say that! Still has the pace, can tackle and worked his socks off. Get them t-shirts made!
I agree - in front of Robinson - not at left back... At the moment there's no space for a defensive passenger like Petrov...
Or Gardner behind Kakuta/Eagles or summat. Eagles seems pretty useful cutting in on his right.
Not now, Beefy... now it's clear as crystal what the priority is - stop the goals against...

And not ever with Eagles other than an injury emergency - you'll never get more than 20 mins out of him...

In different circs, Kakuta could be very interesting... but we are bottom of the league, in our worst run in 105 years, and have to stop losing!!!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:26 pm

William the White wrote:
Beefheart wrote:
William the White wrote:
Beefheart wrote:Also Gardner has staked his claim for a regular starting place in my opinion, and it makes me happy to say that! Still has the pace, can tackle and worked his socks off. Get them t-shirts made!
I agree - in front of Robinson - not at left back... At the moment there's no space for a defensive passenger like Petrov...
Or Gardner behind Kakuta/Eagles or summat. Eagles seems pretty useful cutting in on his right.
Not now, Beefy... now it's clear as crystal what the priority is - stop the goals against...

And not ever with Eagles other than an injury emergency - you'll never get more than 20 mins out of him...

In different circs, Kakuta could be very interesting... but we are bottom of the league, in our worst run in 105 years, and have to stop losing!!!
Don't agree. Even if we ground out two nil-nils in the next two it wouldn't help us stay up. We have to win games. Yes we need to tighten up, but sticking a load of defensive minded players in, and just blocking it up won't help IMO. Finding a balanced shape key not going overly negative.

Need one proper winger at the very least or we will be so numb going forwards we will probably concede due to the extra pressure the team come under!

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
William the White wrote:
Beefheart wrote:
William the White wrote:

Don't agree. Even if we ground out two nil-nils in the next two it wouldn't help us stay up. We have to win games. Yes we need to tighten up, but sticking a load of defensive minded players in, and just blocking it up won't help IMO. Finding a balanced shape key not going overly negative.

Need one proper winger at the very least or we will be so numb going forwards we will probably concede due to the extra pressure the team come under!
How do you know? 0 points since the first day of the season. I'm just looking for a way of improving... I'm suggesting 4-2-3-1... It isn't necessarily negative, as you must know... But if you can't see the immediate priority it's because the guide dog didn't let you into the secret...

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:32 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:NRC is playing on his fooking own, he's being asked to play about 3 roles in there.

He needs some help, put Muamba in there with him to help out with some ball winning.

NRC by some distance our best player.

Edit: And that's not a criticism of Pratley, I just don't think he's an all round enough midfield player to play in a two!

Yep, NRC is the only glimmer of positivity. Pratley: frankly, I never notice when he's on the pitch. Though that's not necessarily a criticism – it could mean he's solid and does his job well.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:32 pm

Just because you can throw out a state you've seen on Sky Sports isn't going to make me change my mind.

Pratley has stood out to me because he looks like the only player putting effort in. NRC can complete as many 5 yard passes as he likes, but I prefer Pratley because he'll run up and down the pitch all day long pushing and pressurising the opposition.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:34 pm

WtW who is going to play out wide in your system then? Given no Petrov, Kakuta or Eagles!

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:36 pm

keveh wrote:Just because you can throw out a state you've seen on Sky Sports isn't going to make me change my mind.

Pratley has stood out to me because he looks like the only player putting effort in. NRC can complete as many 5 yard passes as he likes, but I prefer Pratley because he'll run up and down the pitch all day long pushing and pressurising the opposition.
Did it for 45 mins today and did it well. He earned his wages. If he finds it in himself to do it for 90 minutes every week we won't miss Stuart Holden as much as we so achingly and obviously do...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:39 pm

keveh wrote:Just because you can throw out a state you've seen on Sky Sports isn't going to make me change my mind.

Pratley runs about a lot, but he leaves great huge gaping gaps in midfield trying to get forwards. I like his energy but he doesn't block up the centre of midfield when we need him to.

Also think at times his decisions on passing are completely wrong! He will get better though as can already see improvement!

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:40 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:WtW who is going to play out wide in your system then? Given no Petrov, Kakuta or Eagles!
As you have certainly read... If not here, on the 'match' thread... Ricardo in front of Robinson...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:41 pm

William the White wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:WtW who is going to play out wide in your system then? Given no Petrov, Kakuta or Eagles!
As you have certainly read... If not here, on the 'match' thread... Ricardo in front of Robinson...
Yes and who on the other side?

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:49 pm

I like Reo-Coker, but I do think all of our midfielders would look good just passing the ball five yards sideways.

Pratley worked hard today, but he's more Muamba than Kevin Nolan. Hard to imagine him scoring that many goals with the state of his first touch. Also, he's positionally all over the place, which be as a result of him playing in three or four different roles.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
William the White wrote:
My gamble is on Pratley there, Eagles and Petrov on the bench... We may not have that player, I suspect we don't, so we'll struggle. But we need, above all, for a good few games, to stop the goals...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:59 pm

William the White wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
William the White wrote:
My gamble is on Pratley there, Eagles and Petrov on the bench... We may not have that player, I suspect we don't, so we'll struggle. But we need, above all, for a good few games, to stop the goals...
What is the team you are suggesting, out of interest?

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:01 pm

:oyea: On a positive note, after the horrendous fixtures we've had; we're only six points off a top eight berth.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:03 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Jussi

Boyata Cahill Knight Robinson

NRC Muamba

Pratley Tuncay Gardner

Ngog

Far from a dream team... But I'm trying to stop the leaks... And leave the possibilities of scoring still there...

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:10 pm

William the White wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Jussi

NRC Muamba

Pratley Tuncay Gardner

Ngog

Far from a dream team... But I'm trying to stop the leaks... And leave the possibilities of scoring still there...
Wouldn't play Pratley on the wing, he isn't a winger, you could swap him round with Tuncay though.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:11 pm

Well, it's a team incapable of delivering a cross, I'll give you that

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:13 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:Well, it's a team incapable of delivering a cross, I'll give you that
I have to say - I've made my priorities crystal clear - stop leaking goals...

But who, as a matter of interest, delivers on crosses now?

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:15 pm

Beefheart wrote:
William the White wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Jussi

NRC Muamba

Pratley Tuncay Gardner

Ngog

Wouldn't play Pratley on the wing, he isn't a winger, you could swap him round with Tuncay though.
I don't think tuncay is a winger either - but he might be a goal scorer, and pratley isn't... you are right and, by implication, so is the madman and the ginger - i don't think we have a decent right winger... Who is fit...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:38 pm

William the White wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Jussi

NRC Muamba

Pratley Tuncay Gardner

Ngog

I think putting Knight and Robinson in a team intent on stopping goals is a bit counter intuitive.

I'd probably put Gardner and LB, give one of Petrov, Eagles or Kakuta a chance out wide and play anyone but Knight at CB. Other than that it's going in the right direction.

Its hard though, because as much as he's been poor, Davies K is the kind of battler we need to help pull some of the younger lads through. I'm kinda worried letting NGog lead the line on his own in these circumstances!