The non-knee jerking "Where next" thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Re: The non-knee jerking "Where next" thread

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:43 pm

William the White wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote:Well, it's a team incapable of delivering a cross, I'll give you that
I have to say - I've made my priorities crystal clear - stop leaking goals...

But who, as a matter of interest, delivers on crosses now?
Well, this is an issue

If Coyle would at least look at a 2-3-1 midfield/frontline system he'd find it answers a good many issues:

2 of NRC/Fab/Holden
3 of Tuncay/Petrov/Pratley/Mark D/Eagles
1 of Tuncay/Ngog/Davo/Klasnic

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:45 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
William the White wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
What is the team you are suggesting, out of interest?
Jussi

Boyata Cahill Knight Robinson

NRC Muamba

Pratley Tuncay Gardner

Ngog

Far from a dream team... But I'm trying to stop the leaks... And leave the possibilities of scoring still there...
I think putting Knight and Robinson in a team intent on stopping goals is a bit counter intuitive.

I'd probably put Gardner and LB, give one of Petrov, Eagles or Kakuta a chance out wide and play anyone but Knight at CB. Other than that it's going in the right direction.

Its hard though, because as much as he's been poor, Davies K is the kind of battler we need to help pull some of the younger lads through. I'm kinda worried letting NGog lead the line on his own in these circumstances!
Interesting - so your first choice team is?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:48 pm

We don't need crosses. Admittedly the Klasnic goal from Petrov's rifled cross was as high class a passage of play as I've ever seen us play. Its not, however, necessarily our MO.

Realistically we need to be using the mobility of our midfield more. Its a shocking blow that we've lost two players of the calibre of Lee and Holden. But that still leaves us Muamba, NRC and Pratley. I would play them centrally, primarily as a screen but with the understanding that one or more can use that pace to join the attack. The watchword here would be disclipline. I think playing those 3 could pacify Williams need for solidity, but still allow us to play 3 attacking options. My preference would be perming three from N'Gog, Petrov, Klasnic, Tuncay and Kakuta.Probably one in a "free" role. After all, we need some variety if we're to score.

In this system, I would reinstate Steinsson. I would then instruct him that he was our attacking fullback. This may be on a rotational basis, after all you must remain fresh, but I suggest that we try and ensure solidity by always having three dedicated backs. And it would protect his forays upfield having a more solid screen in front of them.

Having said all that, we are now entering a phase of matches where we will not be playing teams of the calibre of that we have just faced. It may seem bold, but actually tweaks rather than sweeping change may just be the watchword. Its difficult to rip it up and start again in 2 weeks. No matter how vehemently you want to argue it.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:52 pm

I don't disagree, but to rip it up there has to actually be something to rip up in the first place. We've tried nearly every combination of players at various points this season already.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:53 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:Dibs - name a Klasnic goal that's earned a point
Whats this got to do with anything?
He scored in our only win.
He scored against two decent oppositions defences, then got himself stupidly suspended.
Last season he scored a few, Stoke at home, the cup goals as well, however not relevant. Last season he was the not fit Klasnic, this year he has looked sharp, worked hard and found the net. Like I said, he's been doing Davies' running, and hasn't had the opportunity to play in a system with 11 players, rather than 10 plus Kev the passenger. N'Gog has looked good, hasn't scored yet...not writing him off, but in a 442 I'd like to see Klasnic with Ngog or Tuncay. In a 451 I think he's worth a go as the 1 poaching the goals, having players like Fabrice, Pratley, Reo Coker winning the balls behind and supporting his movement.

I don't know if you are saying he shouldn't play, but for me he has been the bright light this season untill his stooooopid red card.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:53 pm

William the White wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
William the White wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
What is the team you are suggesting, out of interest?
Jussi

Boyata Cahill Knight Robinson

NRC Muamba

Pratley Tuncay Gardner

Ngog

Far from a dream team... But I'm trying to stop the leaks... And leave the possibilities of scoring still there...
I think putting Knight and Robinson in a team intent on stopping goals is a bit counter intuitive.

I'd probably put Gardner and LB, give one of Petrov, Eagles or Kakuta a chance out wide and play anyone but Knight at CB. Other than that it's going in the right direction.

Its hard though, because as much as he's been poor, Davies K is the kind of battler we need to help pull some of the younger lads through. I'm kinda worried letting NGog lead the line on his own in these circumstances!
Interesting - so your first choice team is?
It's tough, for Wigan probably...

Jussi
Boyata Cahill Wheater Gardner
Kakuta? NRC Muamba Petrov
Davies NGog

In two minds over Kakuta or Eagles. Feel we needn't deviate too much from the type of team that beat QPR. Don't think that Robinson or Knight have earned a place though!

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:54 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:
William the White wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote:Well, it's a team incapable of delivering a cross, I'll give you that

Well, this is an issue

If Coyle would at least look at a 2-3-1 midfield/frontline system he'd find it answers a good many issues:

2 of NRC/Fab/Holden
Sure is! I didn't 'solve' it with my line up, I admit. Did you?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:00 pm

Anyway
Definite picks:
Jussi (no arguments after today)
Cahill
Reo Coker

Rest of the XI built from:
Boyota
Robinson (until Jan)
Gardner (ideally at LB where he is best!)
Muamba
Wheater
Ricketts (when fit obv)
Mears (???)
Pratley
Petrov
Eagles
Kakuta
Tuncay
N'gog
Klasnic
Mark Davies

Bench (at most):
Captain slow
Knightmare
Marcus Alonso
Bogdan
Robbie Blake!
Steinsson

Its up to Coyle to find a settled team from that...but I think I know what mine would be. It is a squad game when all said and done, and we are injury/suspension central.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Jussi
Davies NGog

In two minds over Kakuta or Eagles. Feel we needn't deviate too much from the type of team that beat QPR. Don't think that Robinson or Knight have earned a place though!
Can Wheater play? I thought it was a straight red? As soon as I see Petrov I see a terribly weak left side... and no serious defensive offer on the right... But totally right on the return of Muamba...

Put it this way... My selection, i think, has more chance of earning a point at wigan... yours has more chance of losing the game... In these circs, I prefer mine, for this game and the next half dozen, we have to stop losing! I understand why you (and others) might prefer yours...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:05 pm

William the White wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Jussi
Davies NGog

Can Wheater play? I thought it was a straight red? As soon as I see Petrov I see a terribly weak left side... and no serious defensive offer on the right... But totally right on the return of Muamba...

Put it this way... My selection, i think, has more chance of earning a point at wigan... yours has more chance of losing the game... In these circs, I prefer mine, for this game and the next half dozen, we have to stop losing! I understand why you (and others) might prefer yours...
Wheater can play, one match ban for professional foul, wasn't violent conduct!

My personal opinion is we need to win at Wigan or come the 13 game mark we will be cut well adrift!

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:09 pm

Not losing at Wigan is simply what is required.

Even a point to just stop the rot might be enough to turn things around as it was when we had that Christmas slump under Allardyce - lost 6 in a row, got a draw then won 6 in a row.

Not saying all our problems will be solved by one result but Christ we can't lose that one too can we?
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:10 pm

N'Gog looks like he can play up top on his own. thought he was by miles our best player today
so 4-5-1 for me

Jussi
Eagles NRC Muamba Pratley Kakuta
N'Gog

Tuncay for Eagles or Pratley possibly but not yet.

Petrov can now feck off for me - one or two crosses a game nowhere near enough
Gardner not ideal but at least he has some pace- something out present incumbent sadly lacks (as well as being shite at everything apart from pointing)
"A child of five would understand this- send someone to fetch a child of five"

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:10 pm

William the White wrote:
William the White wrote:

Well, this is an issue

2 of NRC/Fab/Holden
If I can have them all on the pitch at once, yes :mrgreen:
Sure is! I didn't 'solve' it with my line up, I admit. Did you?

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:14 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
He scored against two decent oppositions defences, then got himself stupidly suspended.
Last season he scored a few, Stoke at home, the cup goals as well, however not relevant. Last season he was the not fit Klasnic, this year he has looked sharp, worked hard and found the net. Like I said, he's been doing Davies' running, and hasn't had the opportunity to play in a system with 11 players, rather than 10 plus Kev the passenger. N'Gog has looked good, hasn't scored yet...not writing him off, but in a 442 I'd like to see Klasnic with Ngog or Tuncay. In a 451 I think he's worth a go as the 1 poaching the goals, having players like Fabrice, Pratley, Reo Coker winning the balls behind and supporting his movement.

I don't know if you are saying he shouldn't play, but for me he has been the bright light this season untill his stooooopid red card.
I suppose the point is that I'm not sure we can keep someone in the team just on the basis that he scores. You were right when you said it was practically like playing with 10 men, such is his contribution.

My point is that yes, he's on the periphery, and yes he has scored. But we would be no better or worse off in the results columns without said contribution.

For what it's worth, I feel we can carry him, and he can contribute more positively - but not in the same side as Petrov. We can't carry two team mates who aren't defending.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:15 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: My personal opinion is we need to win at Wigan or come the 13 game mark we will be cut well adrift!
I respect that opinion but don't share it. I long for us to win, of course. But we have to stop losing, above all. After the worst run of defeats at the start of a season for 105 years we have to end it. I'd set up the team that is most likely to end that. I don't believe there's a 'have to' about winning at Wigan away, much as I yearn for that result, but we have to stop losing, and stop shipping goals, and to do that we need to protect our defence... and Petrov and Kakuta is a scary way to attempt it - even against Wigan!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:17 pm

officer_dibble wrote:

I suppose the point is that I'm not sure we can keep someone in the team just on the basis that he scores. You were right when you said it was practically like playing with 10 men, such is his contribution.

My point is that yes, he's on the periphery, and yes he has scored. But we would be no better or worse off in the results columns without said contribution.

For what it's worth, I feel we can carry him, and he can contribute more positively - but not in the same side as Petrov. We can't carry two team mates who aren't defending.
Given our position we cannot carry any! (and I'll be dammed forever for that Megsonisum)

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:18 pm

-------------------Jussi-----------------
-Steinsson--Boyata---Cahill---Robinson-
----------Muamba-----Nigel------------
-Petrov---------M.Davies-------Gardner-
------------N'Gog---------------------

.... is what I'd go for. Of course, having Gardner there to help Robinson might just be switching the problem to the opposite flank.

I do find amazing that in just seven games we've tried....

GK: Jussi, Bogdan
LB: Robbo
RB: Steinsson, Boyata
CB: Cahill, Boyata, Wheater, Knight
RW: Eagles, Pratley, Petrov, Mavies, Davies, Tuncay
LW: Petrov, Gardner, Tuncay, Eagles
CM: NRC, Pratley, Muamba, Mavies
CF: Klasnic, Davies, Tuncay, N'Gog
Last edited by Tombwfc on Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:20 pm

officer_dibble wrote:

I was talking about Davies then. He doesn't even score. The games they played together I watched every minute, Klasnic worked, Davies might of worked but he didn't cover the same grounds - it's age, form or something else with Davies, but Klasnic, IMO, puts more of a 'shift' in at the moment. In on merit.

I suppose if you are of the opinion he is in the Petrov bracket for teammates carrying...and we cant pick both...who sets up Klasnic?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:21 pm

Well considering the qualities our fullbacks possess, I would say that would be suicide.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:24 pm

Tombwfc wrote:------------------Jussi-----------------
-Steinsson--Boyata---Cahill---Robinson-
----------Muamba-----Nigel------------
-Petrov---------M.Davies-------Gardner-
------------N'Gog---------------------

.... is what I'd go for. Of course, having Gardner there to help Robinson might just be switching the problem to the opposite flank.
I could live with that, Tom... almost any formation that offers two holding midfielders that know what their job is i would embrace with joy... but recognise what you yourself say... Steinsson with Petrov (the most one footed player in the side, and that ain't the right) in front of him is a frightening right flank... Boyata looked better at right back than centre today and Knight played well...