Target for THE NEXT 6 games

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Target for THE NEXT 6 games

Post by bw@bw » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:19 pm

As I have said elsewhere

On my Patented Premier League Par System
(Nil points against the Top 6 Moneybags - win the rest at home and draw away = 52 points for season)
We should be on 5 points now
We are on 6.

No problem.

Incidentally we have been ahead of par now since the start of last season - except for the last few games last year.

Can't see why anyone is worrying.
We have scored more goals than three quarters of the PL.

Some lousy defensive performances but only one bad result that matters.

Usual over-reaction both ways
What goes around may still come around

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:11 am

Wandering Willy wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Beefheart wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:Wigan (Away) Draw
Sunderland (Home) Win
Swansea (Away) Draw
Stoke (Home) Lose
West Brom (Away) Lose
Everton (Home) Draw

I make that 6 points. Not good enough by half. I also seem to be the only person without rose tinted specs on as no one else has predicted a loss!
Not being pedantic but I did to.
So did I.
I only got us to 6 points with rose tints on. I think my initial go had us getting 4.
I'll bet you 10 internet pies we get more than 6 points.
Hope you're saving up. Win and a Draw in our next three fixtures...

One Hump Or Two?
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by One Hump Or Two? » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:17 pm

Why is it generally taken as a given in this thread that we don't expect to get anything against the top 4 or 5 teams?

Record against Arse/'ski/Manure/Lpool (not counting City for obvious reasons) since our last promotion:
01/02: 9pts
02/03: 6
03/04: 5
04/05: 8
05/06: 5
06/07: 7
07/08: 4 (LSL/Megson)
08/09: 0 (Megson)
09/10: 0 (Megson/Coyle)
10/11: 4

So even in the early seasons under Big Sam when we were fighting to stay up, we managed to get something off the top teams; and comprehensive failure against the moneybags should only be acceptable if you're Gary Megson (or a good friend of his).

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:22 am

So, you don't reckon the gap between the haves/have nots has widened?
Sto ut Serviam

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:01 am

There are also more haves and less have nots than there were back then.

One Hump Or Two?
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by One Hump Or Two? » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:23 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:So, you don't reckon the gap between the haves/have nots has widened?
There was already a massive gap between the haves and have nots 6 or 7 years ago, when we used to take an average of 6-7 points a season off the CL boys. It may have widened since then but even nowadays, week in/week out, sides who are no "bigger" than us are still giving the big 4/5 a run for their money or even - shock horror! - daring to take points off them. QPR v Chelski, Norwich v Man U, Wolves/Man U last season etc etc. Why can't we?

I don't expect us to win all our games against them. I don't expect us to win most of our games against them. I don't advocate a strategy based on unrealistic expectations of how many points we will gain against them.

I do think there is good reason to expect something better than abject capitulation (City being an honourable exception) to the tune of P5, L5, 19 goals conceded.

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:37 pm

One Hump Or Two? wrote:Why is it generally taken as a given in this thread that we don't expect to get anything against the top 4 or 5 teams?

Record against Arse/'ski/Manure/Lpool (not counting City for obvious reasons) since our last promotion:

So even in the early seasons under Big Sam when we were fighting to stay up, we managed to get something off the top teams; and comprehensive failure against the moneybags should only be acceptable if you're Gary Megson (or a good friend of his).
I never said it is acceptable - I just think we should see points off that lot as a bonus - and focus on getting our full quota off the others. Every point we take off the rest counts for more as it deprives the opposition on the same basis - and hopefully drags them down.

Up till this season OC had done well on that score
What goes around may still come around

One Hump Or Two?
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by One Hump Or Two? » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:09 pm

bw@bw wrote:
One Hump Or Two? wrote:Why is it generally taken as a given in this thread that we don't expect to get anything against the top 4 or 5 teams?

I never said it is acceptable - I just think we should see points off that lot as a bonus - and focus on getting our full quota off the others. Every point we take off the rest counts for more as it deprives the opposition on the same basis - and hopefully drags them down.

Up till this season OC had done well on that score
I understand about relegation 6-pointers.

And last season, when we weren't a disorganised shower of shite, mired in the bottom 3, we did indeed give it a good go against some of the bigger teams. Its the very fact that we are back to being meekly ripped apart by those teams - something that has only ever happened to us before in the PL under Megson - that is one of the worrying signs.

I also don't like the idea of "focusing on winnable games". Look where that thinking got us against Wigan after playing a reserve team in the UEFA round of 16. Teams get into the habit of playing well by playing well week in week out. Squad rotation, fine, but you can't turn performance and attitude on and off like a tap.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:41 am

One Hump Or Two? wrote: And last season, when we weren't a disorganised shower of shite, mired in the bottom 3, we did indeed give it a good go against some of the bigger teams. Its the very fact that we are back to being meekly ripped apart by those teams - something that has only ever happened to us before in the PL under Megson - that is one of the worrying signs.

I also don't like the idea of "focusing on winnable games". Look where that thinking got us against Wigan after playing a reserve team in the UEFA round of 16. Teams get into the habit of playing well by playing well week in week out. Squad rotation, fine, but you can't turn performance and attitude on and off like a tap.
didnt we lose 4-0 at home to manchester united on the opening day of the season once when allardyce were manager ?

potato face getting 3 iirc.

:/

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:14 am

C-Ron (and Nicky Hunt)'s debut.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:51 am

FaninOz wrote:
FaninOz wrote:My preseason predictions for these games were

Wigan (Away) Draw (WIN)
Sunderland (Home) Win (LOST)
Swansea (Away) Draw (LOST)
Stoke (Home) Win
West Brom (Away) Win
Everton (Home) Draw

12pts for a total of 15 from 13 games and a hope of survival, otherwise we are dooooooomed.

However, based on those first seven game performances (or lack of them) I can't actually see it happening unless Coyle can show a totally unexpected change in his approach to the games, selections and tactics. Not much to ask for I guess, so I now expect L, D, L, W, D, L for 5 points and a new manager!!
Well that's better than I expected, 3 points from the first game now another 9 or 10 from the next five would be good to save Coyle's job.
Oops we still only have 3 points from the first three games, and desperately need a win against Stoke against whom this dreadful run began. Then if we can get four from the last two games in this group we will have 10 points from 13 games, still not enough for survival but much better than where we are today and a springboard for the future any less and its probably bye-bye Coyle and Premiership!!
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:09 pm

Sooo... how did you do?

After this run of fixtures we have 6 points.

Jokers in White
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jokers in White » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:11 pm

FaninOz wrote:
FaninOz wrote:
FaninOz wrote:My preseason predictions for these games were

Wigan (Away) Draw (WIN)
Sunderland (Home) Win (LOST)
Swansea (Away) Draw (LOST)
Stoke (Home) Win
West Brom (Away) Win
Everton (Home) Draw

12pts for a total of 15 from 13 games and a hope of survival, otherwise we are dooooooomed.

However, based on those first seven game performances (or lack of them) I can't actually see it happening unless Coyle can show a totally unexpected change in his approach to the games, selections and tactics. Not much to ask for I guess, so I now expect L, D, L, W, D, L for 5 points and a new manager!!
Well that's better than I expected, 3 points from the first game now another 9 or 10 from the next five would be good to save Coyle's job.
Oops we still only have 3 points from the first three games, and desperately need a win against Stoke against whom this dreadful run began. Then if we can get four from the last two games in this group we will have 10 points from 13 games, still not enough for survival but much better than where we are today and a springboard for the future any less and its probably bye-bye Coyle and Premiership!!
We are dooooomed then!
https://twitter.com/Chaddy_81" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:37 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Wandering Willy wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:Wigan (Away) Draw
Sunderland (Home) Win
Swansea (Away) Draw
Stoke (Home) Lose
West Brom (Away) Lose
Everton (Home) Draw

I make that 6 points. Not good enough by half. I also seem to be the only person without rose tinted specs on as no one else has predicted a loss!
I only got us to 6 points with rose tints on. I think my initial go had us getting 4.
I'll bet you 10 internet pies we get more than 6 points.
Hope you're saving up. Win and a Draw in our next three fixtures...
Looks like the internet pies are on you Willy.

We did get as far as my most rose tinted estimate of 6, so a couple better than I feared.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:30 pm

They're on the way to Worthy Towers.

Nobody's a winner. :cry:
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:13 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:They're on the way to Worthy Towers.

Nobody's a winner. :cry:
No, but I'm 10 internet pies better off than some. :D

adamworthy2002
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by adamworthy2002 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:15 pm

Lose all 6


CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:16 pm

Next 6? Play 6, lose 6.
Businesswoman of the year.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:21 pm

I fecking hope that isn't the TARGET?! Spose at least it is achievable!

Anyway, Spurs(a)-D (we HAVE to draw at some point!)
Villa(h)-W
Fulham(a)-L (surprisingly!)
Blackburn(a)-W (coz he have to like)
Newcastle(h)-D (their bubble will burst)
Wolves(h)-W (they're shit too, and we have better players)

11 points! Woo-hooo. Coyle IN!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:23 pm

That has to be the target now really, 10 points