Bolton v Wolves: The biggest match of the season, again

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

The result

Poll ended at Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:13 pm

Win
24%
Draw
20%
Lose
24%
Game abandoned (due to overwhelming sh*tness)
11%
Who cares? I don't like football anymore
20%

Total votes: 45

the-Bowtun-Warrior
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Bolton v Wolves: The biggest match of the season, again

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:10 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:It was good to see a proper, decent left back. It seemed to help organise the back 4.

The goal for him was a bonus.

Overall a 'better' performance than some of the shite we've seen, but against a v poor side. Nowhere near enough & we are domed, I'm afraid.

One question - (I can't bring myself to watch it) .. was the free-kick which led to their goal actually a foul ?

One observation - I will rinse my eyes out if need be, but did the fckwit of a referee, Mr Battenburg, actually have a decent game, refrain from booking people for fun and allow the game to flow ??

One remark - throughout the second half some gut in the West Stand seemed to bellow, more or less constantly, at Coyle. Serious fck-you bellowing. Anyone around him must have felt like telling him to shut the fck up. I know some people want Coyle out but Jeez this guy was loud. BWFC-i by any chance ?
TBH its a real pity that others didn't join in - its partly the fans apathy that's keeping Coyle in a job.
I don't like agreeing with stuff like this, but on this occasion I do.

I was amazed by the lack of ferocity in the booing at FT and was flabbergasted by the total lack of so late on in the game as our spineless f**kwits bent over and gave up.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:42 pm

bobo the clown wrote:It was good to see a proper, decent left back. It seemed to help organise the back 4.

The goal for him was a bonus.

Overall a 'better' performance than some of the shite we've seen, but against a v poor side. Nowhere near enough & we are domed, I'm afraid.

One question - (I can't bring myself to watch it) .. was the free-kick which led to their goal actually a foul ?

One observation - I will rinse my eyes out if need be, but did the fckwit of a referee, Mr Battenburg, actually have a decent game, refrain from booking people for fun and allow the game to flow ??

One remark - throughout the second half some gut in the West Stand seemed to bellow, more or less constantly, at Coyle. Serious fck-you bellowing. Anyone around him must have felt like telling him to shut the fck up. I know some people want Coyle out but Jeez this guy was loud. BWFC-i by any chance ?
It weren't me I would never shout for a managers head like that.

Not in the ground.

Nor was I in the west stand.

beer_swiller
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by beer_swiller » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:52 pm

Despite whether it was a free kick or not, the defending and keeping was shocking to say the least.
Denn

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:56 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm fairly depressed about the current state of affairs but as far as today's game went I'm with the more positive people. Today we played ok until the last 20 minues or so. Only conceded due to a set piece, ironically given away fairly needlessly by Ricketts (he giveth and taketh away). Vey pleased we didn't gift Wolves all three points but the bottom line is we needed the win today.

Happy New Year!

Preetty much agree with this

1st half i thought we were the better team by far our build up play was good everyone looked comfortable on the ball

2nd half our defending was shocking good to see ricketts which is a major plus all tho he was at fault for there goal but his goal was sublime

We need a striker and a centre back i don't think Richard dunne is a bad shout someone to organise that defence that tim ream sounds like he won't cut it(and for 2.5mill would be a huge chunk of Gazzas fee to possibly throw away)

We need someone tried and tested if we can get Dunne on the cheap (no more than 1mill) havent got a clue what his wages are but if robbo moves on (unlikely i know ) there will be quite abit room for movement

That lad from Crystal palace Nathiel Clyne don't look bad and he can play LB/RB to replace robbo

Striker havent a clue maybe Maynard maybe but abit injury prone or Jay Rodriguez from Burnley but probably to expensive
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:14 pm

Kept out of the pirhanna pool yesterday, couldn't stand the frenzy. Had we done just one of the most basic things in football we'd have had three points. We didn't play half as bad as some are suggesting; at times we played very well. Muamba was tops for me and none of it was a million miles away from a decent game. The one thing?: At twelve years old, in the school junior team, the full backs were told:" For corner kicks and free kicks across the box, the full backs take a post each and stay on it" Nice to see we actually learned the lesson later, after gifting them another soft goal, and did it from then on. Pure stable-door stuff. That one major error ruined what might have been a decent game.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:45 pm

I take your point about the fullbacks positioning on corners Tango, but as a keeper, I was always told "If the ball is in the air in the 6 yard box, it's yours to claim or get something on" Jussi doesn't ever leave his line and gather the ball when its put into that space. poor understanding across the back for their goal, but how many times have we left the opposing team's centre forward on his own in the box this year?!! It's not rocket science. Mark the main man and stay goal side of him at all costs.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:17 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:I take your point about the fullbacks positioning on corners Tango, but as a keeper, I was always told "If the ball is in the air in the 6 yard box, it's yours to claim or get something on" Jussi doesn't ever leave his line and gather the ball when its put into that space. poor understanding across the back for their goal, but how many times have we left the opposing team's centre forward on his own in the box this year?!! It's not rocket science. Mark the main man and stay goal side of him at all costs.
This...
[ex mentalist goalie here too :-)

Old concrete feet gets anchored to his line the lower our confidence levels as a team are.. the worse we do the farther back he is..
yesterday was a shocker.. could have done better on the marking at the far post but the ball went right through the six yard box at flap height.. Jussi [who I generally defend] massively at fault..
only saw highlights but it seemed a bit more solid.. interested that Wolves are apparently rubbish ? off the back of a point off Arse.. ?
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:59 pm

Welcome back Sam Ricketts, he put in a solid performance and hopefully, barring suspensions or injuries, this will mean we will never see Paul Robinson in a Bolton shirt ever again. I think a draw was a fair result at the end of it, but a draw isn't good enough at this stage of the season, simply not good enough with the run of fixtures we've got in January.

I've lost faith, I honestly think we're down now.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:17 pm

Usual shite except Wolves weren't good enough to win.

Can't remember us not beating Wolves at home, so probably another special record that moron has broken!

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:22 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Usual shite except Wolves weren't good enough to win.

Can't remember us not beating Wolves at home, so probably another special record that moron has broken!
We won last season, 1-0, Sturridge.

Anything for a dig at Coyle eh.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:30 pm

Gail Platz wrote:

Whoooosh........

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:32 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Gail Platz wrote:

Whoooosh........
:D

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:33 pm

sept 27th 2003 - we drew 1-1 with wolves at home...

2nd Jan 1999 - lost 2-1 at home to wolves in FA cup...

april 30th 1999 - we drew 1-1 with wolves at home...

march 29th 1994 - lost 3-1 with wolves at home...

oct 22nd 1989 - lost 2-1 to wolves at home...

in fact - 45% of our home games with Wolves over our entire history have ended with us not winning...
Last edited by thebish on Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:35 pm

thebish wrote:

sept 27th 2003 - we drew 1-1 with wolves at home...

2nd Jan 1999 - lost 2-1 at home to wolves in FA cup...

april 30th 1999 - we drew 1-1 with wolves at home...

march 29th 1994 - lost 3-1 with wolves at home...

oct 22nd 1989 - lost 2-1 to wolves at home...
charitable season for Coyle's eh bish?

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:35 pm

Hoboh wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Gail Platz wrote:

Whoooosh........
My point was Coyle was manager last season and we won, it's not like he's never beaten them is it?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:40 pm

Gail Platz wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Gail Platz wrote:

Whoooosh........
My point was Coyle was manager last season and we won, it's not like he's never beaten them is it?
Gail put yer glasses on son and read it propper like :mrgreen:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:06 pm

beer_swiller wrote:Despite whether it was a free kick or not, the defending and keeping was shocking to say the least.
Absolutely! Jaaskelainen was, yet again, fecking atrocious yesterday. If people are looking to lay blame then they need to lay blame where it's due.
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:07 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
beer_swiller wrote:Despite whether it was a free kick or not, the defending and keeping was shocking to say the least.
Absolutely! Jaaskelainen was, yet again, fecking atrocious yesterday. If people are looking to lay blame then they need to lay blame where it's due.
yeah - Coyle agrees... b*stard groundsman!!

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:28 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote: Absolutely! Jaaskelainen was, yet again, fecking atrocious yesterday. If people are looking to lay blame then they need to lay blame where it's due.
he doesnt know whats going on, or what to do, coz he doesnt know what the defence are doin' or will do.

"we dont know how to defend properly anymore" he told someone who i knows mate. allegedly. and probably not verbatim neither. fecking frightening espesh as it were followed up with something allong the lines of "we dont know what's do".

this "not working on defence" shit is biting us in the arse proper.

coyle out

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:30 pm

If we weren't already hanging off a cliff with our balls tied to a daisy, yeterday's result might not seem so drastic. It's the fact that we're expecting results like that almost every game now. Truth is, there's not a single player we could buy who would do us any good unless those around him start playing well, no miracle revivals just a big re-think on why we spend so much time penned in our own last third and why other teams are doing a Bolton on us. Soft goals have cost us dearly and are the main reason we're where we are right now. Stupid defending on set pieces is no new thing with us. I can remember N'zogbia scoring for Newcastle against us three seasons ago with a free kick across the box that went straight in with nobody near it. If we insist there are any bad sides in this league, then we have to count ourselves amongst one of the worst right now..

It isn't any single player that isn't playing well, it's a team thing and right now we need to go back to the sort of attitude we had not too long ago where we were the feared ones. There were glimpsed yesterday that more effort was going in, but how many times did you see a Bolton player not watching the game and looking the other way? How many times did we loiter over a throw in then hurl it into the box only for defenders to win it almost every time? It's the "unguarded moments" that are costing us, not the overall game; think how many times we comment on it.

As for those faulting Petrov, or missing Muambas great breaks into the box, were we watching the same game?.... I have to wonder.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?