Megson: 'I was told to get out of Europe'

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Megson: 'I was told to get out of Europe'

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:47 am

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/94 ... _of_Europe_/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gary Megson claims Phil Gartside told him to get knocked out of Europe when he was Wanderers manager.

More than two years since he left Bolton, Megson backed his record at the Reebok in an interview with BBC Radio Manchester which is due to be aired tonight.

He said: “The supporters at Bolton made it quite clear that they didn’t want me in the first place and we drew, I think it was, the first four games.

“You know I’m the first Bolton manager to beat Manchester United at home.

“They’re only little things these, I took Bolton further in Europe than they’ve ever been, and yet I was told by the chairman to get out of Europe because they don’t make any money in it and it was having an impact on the league position and it was absolutely imperative to stay in the Premiership.

“Well, bearing in mind that was the worst start that’s ever been seen in the Premiership, and still is, it was a huge ask to stay up, notwithstanding the fact we were in Europe.

“We took the reserves to Bayern Munich and got a draw there. Most people get beat, and there’s a lot of British teams since can’t get a result there.

“We went to Red Star Belgrade (and were the) first team ever that had won (there) in over 100 years.

“We knocked out Athletico Madrid over two legs, and I do think that if it hadn’t been as tenuous in the Premiership we could have got even further against Sporting Lisbon, but we just had to make sure that the club stayed up.

“By hook or by crook we managed to do that, and yet you’re still viewed as you were viewed.”

Listen to the full interview on In The Spotlight with Gary Megson, on BBC Radio Manchester 95.1FM at 6pm.
Businesswoman of the year.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Megson: 'I was told to get out of Europe'

Post by thebish » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:57 am

:roll:

get over it Gary!!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:58 am

Why can't he just feck off and concentrate on his job?

I'm not a Megson hater by any means but his constant repetition is pissing me off now. The ginger c*nt. :evil:

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:03 am

the feck's he banging on about now?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:09 am

Radio Manchester invited him for an interview. They asked the questions.

Whats he meant to say? He can hardly go on a program about Greater Manchester football and say he only wants to talk about Sheffield Wednesday.

I shan't be listening, I'd suggest those who don't like him talking about us when asked a question, do the same!

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:10 am

ummmm...dignity?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:19 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Radio Manchester invited him for an interview. They asked the questions.

Whats he meant to say? He can hardly go on a program about Greater Manchester football and say he only wants to talk about Sheffield Wednesday.
Didn't stop him jumping at the chance to go on the programme though
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:21 am

Fair play to him I say. If I felt bitter about somethng I'd still be banging on about it any chance I got!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:22 am

boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Radio Manchester invited him for an interview. They asked the questions.

Didn't stop him jumping at the chance to go on the programme though
Probably trying to improve his PR skills.

Who cares really? Won't be anything that hasn't been said before.

Allardyce can't resist mentioning us all the time and he left ages ago. Its what managers do to try and justify themselves.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:23 am

he can VERY VERY easily tell Radio Manchester that he will only do an interview if it is about Sheffield Wednesday - or is there some kind of compulsion for him to be on radio Manchester talking about what they want to talk about?? :conf:

how hard is it to say to Radio Manchester - "That chapter in my footballing career is now closed, I have a new job and my mission and focus is entirely on Sheffield Wednesday. I wish Bolton well and suggest we all move on."

are Radio Manchester really that scary and all-powerful that he is compelled to do what they say???

si2008
Hopeful
Hopeful
Location: at my pc except on match days when i,m watching the whites

Post by si2008 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:28 am

Who gives a F**k with what the ginger C**t has to say..... all done lets move on

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:36 am

thebish wrote:

he can VERY VERY easily tell Radio Manchester that he will only do an interview if it is about Sheffield Wednesday - or is there some kind of compulsion for him to be on radio Manchester talking about what they want to talk about?? :conf:

how hard is it to say to Radio Manchester - "That chapter in my footballing career is now closed, I have a new job and my mission and focus is entirely on Sheffield Wednesday. I wish Bolton well and suggest we all move on."

are Radio Manchester really that scary and all-powerful that he is compelled to do what they say???
He could, but then an hour long profile of his career type interview will be pretty dull and probably not last more than 5 minutes if he only talks about the last few months...

Whats the issue?

Nobody needs to listen.

Unless they are obsessed of course.... :lol:

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:36 am

On the other side of the coin, SheffW board might be asking, why the feck is he talking about Bolton and not Sheffield Wednesday and if he was indeed told by Garty to 'Get out of Europe' where is his honour and loyalty to the club by keeping this hidden all this time? Unless of course he wasn't, as we all suspect, a manager but rather Garty's poodlefaker. He obviously has an agenda designed to deflect from his skill set and the problems lurking on t'other side of the Pennines. 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:40 am

Gravedigger wrote:On the other side of the coin, SheffW board might be asking, why the feck is he talking about Bolton and not Sheffield Wednesday and if he was indeed told by Garty to 'Get out of Europe' where is his honour and loyalty to the club by keeping this hidden all this time? Unless of course he wasn't, as we all suspect, a manager but rather Garty's poodlefaker. He obviously has an agenda designed to deflect from his skill set and the problems lurking on t'other side of the Pennines. 8)
What problems? He's liked there and they are level on points with second place in the hunt for promotion?

And of course he was told to get out of Europe. We already knew that!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:45 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Gravedigger wrote:On the other side of the coin, SheffW board might be asking, why the feck is he talking about Bolton and not Sheffield Wednesday and if he was indeed told by Garty to 'Get out of Europe' where is his honour and loyalty to the club by keeping this hidden all this time? Unless of course he wasn't, as we all suspect, a manager but rather Garty's poodlefaker. He obviously has an agenda designed to deflect from his skill set and the problems lurking on t'other side of the Pennines. 8)
What problems? He's liked there and they are level on points with second place in the hunt for promotion?

And of course he was told to get out of Europe. We already knew that!

Did we? :conf:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:48 am

In theory a fair point .... but equally, when Radio MANCHESTER asked him if he'd do an interview, what did he expect ? To be asked questions about Sheffield Wednesday ?

He had the option to say no. He should have taken it.

He has to be the bitterest of bitter people.

I'm very much of the view that he was poorly treated when he arrived and some people, some on here, were almost eager for him to fail. Also, however he took NO steps to bridge that divide, to link to the fans and to treat us with respect.

In the end he became a cartoon version of his image and fulfilled all the worst points those who didn't want him predicted.

By the way ... he was NOT the first Bolton manager to get a win at Satan's Nest. Bolton have existed well over 100 years & we have had a win or two before he arrived.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:59 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:

He could, but then an hour long profile of his career type interview will be pretty dull and probably not last more than 5 minutes if he only talks about the last few months...

Whats the issue?

Nobody needs to listen.

or - they could just not do the piece - up to them. Either way - just countering your claim that Megson had no choice because they asked him.

OF COURSE he had a choice.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:14 am

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:

Whats the issue?

Nobody needs to listen.

or - they could just not do the piece - up to them. Either way - just countering your claim that Megson had no choice because they asked him.

OF COURSE he had a choice.
Yeah he had a choice, but my point was no need to be shocked. He was going on there, he was bound to talk about Bolton.

Just like Allardyce still does.

I think Bobo sums it up pretty well.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:17 am

But the point is.. He went on there TO talk about Bolton
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Lennon'sEleven
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Lennon'sEleven » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:18 am

I have no problem with Megson. Did a job for us, got a bit crap, and then was moved on. No biggie.

Also, if what he's saying is true, should we not be seeing past the knee-jerk reaction of 'Megson is a bad man, and he makes me angry' and ask ourselves: why did our chairman interfere with management decisions, and show a lack of ambition when we could have progressed in a cup?

I think that's the bigger issue here.
Formerly known as Meg'sEleven. And Owen'sEleven. And Dougie'sEleven. We're getting through them aren't we...