Contract expiry

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Contract expiry

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:33 am

malcd1 wrote:I know Mark Davies' contract is up at the end of the season and will probably not play for us again but I have heard his knee is smashed to pieces after this last injury. The word on the street is he will be lucky if he plays competitively again. His knee has been described by one of the backroom staff as the worst injury he has ever seen.

I wish him luck in his rehabilitation as I think he may need it.
And hasn't everything gone just dandy since we lost that useless waste of a shirt?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:20 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
malcd1 wrote:I know Mark Davies' contract is up at the end of the season and will probably not play for us again but I have heard his knee is smashed to pieces after this last injury. The word on the street is he will be lucky if he plays competitively again. His knee has been described by one of the backroom staff as the worst injury he has ever seen.

And hasn't everything gone just dandy since we lost that useless waste of a shirt?
I wish him all the best on recovery. He played 39 times last season. That didn't go so hot. Maybe he'd found his level.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:54 pm

Worthy4England wrote:

I wish him all the best on recovery. He played 39 times last season. That didn't go so hot. Maybe he'd found his level.
...whereas without him, we're still searching for ours.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:17 pm

Worthy4England wrote:

...whereas without him, we're still searching for ours.
Mavis' injury has not made Trotter, Henry and Vela a better footballers. We'll be looking a while methinks.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:58 pm

Which is kinda my point. He had his faults but by Christ we look the poorer team without him.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:16 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Which is kinda my point. He had his faults but by Christ we look the poorer team without him.
We do. But not 16 grand a week poorer for another injury and 321 minutes of League football. He didn't stand out much last season.

My criticism is much less to do with his skill, it's how often he can bring it to bear when he spends so much time injured and those occasions that he goes missing, is easing back into the side after an injury. If your car keeps breaking down but can do 180 with no bugger watching, it's no use to you when it's off the road and no advantage to you when it's performing at the same pace as a Lada.

He's a luxury we can't afford.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:41 pm

Not saying we can afford him, or that he was among the dozens of players covering themselves in glory last season. I'm just saying that when he was fit this term we won every game and were top the league, while since he got injured we've gone to ratshit. I don't believe that's coincidence.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:06 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Not saying we can afford him, or that he was among the dozens of players covering themselves in glory last season. I'm just saying that when he was fit this term we won every game and were top the league, while since he got injured we've gone to ratshit. I don't believe that's coincidence.
I don't either - just can't get my head around £37 grand a game, for the difference he makes...If he was going to play 46 and get us up, probably worth the investment.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:55 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Not saying we can afford him, or that he was among the dozens of players covering themselves in glory last season. I'm just saying that when he was fit this term we won every game and were top the league, while since he got injured we've gone to ratshit. I don't believe that's coincidence.
I don't either - just can't get my head around £37 grand a game, for the difference he makes...If he was going to play 46 and get us up, probably worth the investment.
The way the team has generally performed (noting the odd blips), I think I'm still in the "save the dough" camp. Maybe the rat-shit bit just required a little acumen from a manager. Vela looks a different player and maybe Henry has settled a little.

Trotter, I think he cold make the bench at any level we dropped to.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:47 pm

Even if he's fit, which isn't a given, we won't be re-signing Mark Davies on anything like the wages he was on. I think we can rest easy on that.

But the resurfacing of this thread reminds me that I need to update the list itself. Anyone else bar Vela signed new contracts since the window?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:55 pm

Vela is showing how you play that attacking midfield role. Mark Davies simply wouldn't survive doing half what Vela does. Plus Vela has developed an end product well beyond Davies'. I wouldn't bother even entertaining the thought of having Davies next season. Not worth anything whatsoever.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:32 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Vela is showing how you play that attacking midfield role. Mark Davies simply wouldn't survive doing half what Vela does. Plus Vela has developed an end product well beyond Davies'. I wouldn't bother even entertaining the thought of having Davies next season. Not worth anything whatsoever.
Plus Ameobi is showing you can be a skillful player and have an end result/put a decent defensive shift in.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:36 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Vela is showing how you play that attacking midfield role. Mark Davies simply wouldn't survive doing half what Vela does. Plus Vela has developed an end product well beyond Davies'. I wouldn't bother even entertaining the thought of having Davies next season. Not worth anything whatsoever.
Vela's pressing is so vital, the amount of attacks that seem to start from his pressuring or winning the ball high up the field is ridiculous. I remember Chungy used to read things well and intercept a fair few balls high up the pitch but Vela is playing like a man possessed. Where did this idea that he didn't work hard enough come from?!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:48 pm

Beefheart wrote:Vela's pressing is so vital, the amount of attacks that seem to start from his pressuring or winning the ball high up the field is ridiculous. I remember Chungy used to read things well and intercept a fair few balls high up the pitch but Vela is playing like a man possessed. Where did this idea that he didn't work hard enough come from?!
This forum? :D

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:31 pm

The thing with Mavies is that he will still probably be unfit when the summer TW comes around. It might be difficult for him to get a club. I would definitely be agreeable to giving him a very low paid 12 month deal (a fraction of his current £18k pw), or a strict pay as you play deal. He is not someone you can rely on over a season if you want to be successful, but still has top level dribbling ability that can have an impact.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:11 pm

I like Mavies! but it's got to be a low pay as you play for 12 months then if he comes through that it'd have to be a low wage contract!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:25 pm

As I mentioned further up this page, the Mavies injury could easily be career ending it was described as that bad. Hopefully not but he has a long road back.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:09 pm

Mark Davies isn't where our future lies. I wish him all the best but if he does stay beyond the end of the season then, for me, it'll have to be on a pay-as-you-play basis.
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:46 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Mark Davies isn't where our future lies. I wish him all the best but if he does stay beyond the end of the season then, for me, it'll have to be on a pay-as-you-play basis.
I agree but also thought there was no future for Wheater but he's been great.
Davies' knees must be ruined though. Pay as you play is likely to be his best bet anywhere.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:04 am

Yeah, anyone giving him a real contract would be bad. Pay as you play makes sense and surely we'd be convenient??
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.