Contract expiry

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Contract expiry

Post by Andy Waller » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:49 am

Good grief, hasn't recent form shown anyone what a completely useless waste of a shirt Mavies is???

Oh, I forgot, he's good at dribbling sometimes....
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:20 am

He was ace before get injured so..
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:36 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Mark Davies isn't where our future lies. I wish him all the best but if he does stay beyond the end of the season then, for me, it'll have to be on a pay-as-you-play basis.
Agree. The amount we've shelled out on him.over the years has given us a very poor return on the investment.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:12 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Mark Davies isn't where our future lies. I wish him all the best but if he does stay beyond the end of the season then, for me, it'll have to be on a pay-as-you-play basis.
Agree. The amount we've shelled out on him.over the years has given us a very poor return on the investment.
All very true but if he's not wanted elsewhere and will play for relative peanuts and give something back then I'm all for it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:52 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
All very true but if he's not wanted elsewhere and will play for relative peanuts and give something back then I'm all for it.
Me too. Just needs an element of affordability factoring in. I don't think he's a poor player at all.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:20 am

Don't we think that ship has sailed really?

How long has he been here (Is it around 5 years?) and what has he actually done?

If he was on £100 a week it'd still be wasted as he'd never play.

I don't rate him in the slightest as a footballer, but he's had awful luck with injuries and I think this could all be a moot point as I can't see him playing again.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:00 am

Andy Waller wrote:Don't we think that ship has sailed really?

How long has he been here (Is it around 5 years?) and what has he actually done?

If he was on £100 a week it'd still be wasted as he'd never play.

I don't rate him in the slightest as a footballer, but he's had awful luck with injuries and I think this could all be a moot point as I can't see him playing again.
Next month, he'll have been with us for eight years. He turns 29 in Feb.

So:

- he's injury prone
- he'll turn 30 during next season
- he won't have played competitive football for a year.

I'm out.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:02 am

We're currently operating at a loss of 800k per month, but might break even next season when contracts expire.

Mark Davies won't be playing for us again.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:35 pm

Neither davies or clayton represent value for money on the bloody training kit we buy them, never mind wages. Tara to both for me.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:21 am

Ben Amos was dropped by Cardiff yesterday. No surprise after Warnocks comments the week before about his defence. Is his loan deal there until January or the end of the season?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:50 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:Ben Amos was dropped by Cardiff yesterday. No surprise after Warnocks comments the week before about his defence. Is his loan deal there until January or the end of the season?
It's to the end of the season. As far as I understand it, they can technically send him back if they want to but they can't get out of their commitment to pay his wages.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:56 am

Nicko58 wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:Ben Amos was dropped by Cardiff yesterday. No surprise after Warnocks comments the week before about his defence. Is his loan deal there until January or the end of the season?
It's to the end of the season. As far as I understand it, they can technically send him back if they want to but they can't get out of their commitment to pay his wages.
TFFT then :D
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:00 am

We need to farm him out again next season though, doubly so if we don't get promoted.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:29 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:We need to farm him out again next season though, doubly so if we don't get promoted.
Just been reading about this on a Cardiff fan site.
i've been giving him the benefit of the doubt for a while but he seems to always react late to shots - almost as if he can't see properly. He also has very poor decision making to compound this major fault.
He's not chance of playing again for Warnock, relegated from first to third choice so not even on the bench. I wonder if he'll move in Jan with Cardiff picking up any wages shortfall?
Neil Warnock:”Not really [difficult to leave Amos out], not after last week, I just thought enough was enough really.
He's a disaster and the fact we're stuck with him for years is a disaster for us. He started ok with then then went to pieces like he did for us. Maybe he'd be better behind a parky defence but imagine if we don't go up and we're stuck with his £18k a week. Everyone else would have to be on non league wages.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:47 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:We need to farm him out again next season though, doubly so if we don't get promoted.
Just been reading about this on a Cardiff fan site.
i've been giving him the benefit of the doubt for a while but he seems to always react late to shots - almost as if he can't see properly. He also has very poor decision making to compound this major fault.
He's not chance of playing again for Warnock, relegated from first to third choice so not even on the bench. I wonder if he'll move in Jan with Cardiff picking up any wages shortfall?
Neil Warnock:”Not really [difficult to leave Amos out], not after last week, I just thought enough was enough really.
He's a disaster and the fact we're stuck with him for years is a disaster for us. He started ok with then then went to pieces like he did for us. Maybe he'd be better behind a parky defence but imagine if we don't go up and we're stuck with his £18k a week. Everyone else would have to be on non league wages.
Signed by another manager we've had who spent loads but always moaned he wasn't supported enough, and looked at what others were spending in comparison and moaned more.

Has Parky, once, even once complained about money or transfers?

Ultimately I think it's fair to tailor expectations to spending to an extent. But good managers can make things work even with a modest budget. What classes as working might be up for debate. But Amos is easily one of the most ridiculous signings of the past few years on the money he was on and against the backdrop of our financial situation.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:09 pm

Signing Amos on Prem wages was ridiculous business given the financial climate of the time. Lennon then signed cheap players in other areas of the team that needed more attention, including a token number two keeper in Rachubka. It is really interesting how Amos convinces managers to play him for a period, then apparently basic flaws materialize. He must look good enough in training, and he does a job in the first team for a while, then his eye sight seems to go. Bizarre!!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:19 pm

Small point of order: according to the widely-accepted Nixon figures Amos is on £16kpw not £18kpw. But that, over four years, is still a £3.3m commitment - to a basic wage, let alone any bonus-related add-ons, which are more common than you might think/hope. And that, considering we were six months from meltdown, is quite simply staggering.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:23 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Ultimately I think it's fair to tailor expectations to spending to an extent. But good managers can make things work even with a modest budget. What classes as working might be up for debate. But Amos is easily one of the most ridiculous signings of the past few years on the money he was on and against the backdrop of our financial situation.
To be fair, he was used to working on a small budget and knew the score when he came in. I'd suggest he's had more than he bargained for.
Lennon, for all his many flaws, was clearly lied to.
That's why Parky is idela though, he'll make the most of whatever budget he's got. Even if we stay down and it's slashed drastically because we're carrying Amos, he'll stay keep us competitive.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:29 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

To be fair, he was used to working on a small budget and knew the score when he came in. I'd suggest he's had more than he bargained for.
Lennon, for all his many flaws, was clearly lied to.
That's why Parky is idela though, he'll make the most of whatever budget he's got. Even if we stay down and it's slashed drastically because we're carrying Amos, he'll stay keep us competitive.
If Lennon was any good whatsoever he'd have done far better with what he had. Ultimately the measure of a manager is what you do with your resources. Any moron can do well if they outspend everyone else.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:50 pm

Quite true. Just picking up on the 'not complaining' angle, which is all about expectations and prior knowledge.